This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Knight or Dragoon?

I've narrowed down what future advanced job I'd like to do between either a Dark Knight or a Dragoon. I've read at FFXIclopedia on the strengths and weaknesses of both jobs. However, I'm still torn between the two.....both look pretty awesome. The DK has an unreal amount of strength, but poor defense (or so I'm under the impression). The Dragoon has a helpful wyvern ally and the accuracy/strength bonuses should aid well with a strong polearm, but the Jump ability looks useless and I've been told by a few friends who play that Dragoons don't have a useful place in many parties. Currently, I'm a Lvl 10 WAR and am stuck between leveling up a Polearm (Dragoon) and a Great Sword (Dark Knight). I can't afford to purchase both and level them equally throughout my travles, so I'd like a deciding factor to what my future job should be as the opinions expressed here.

Fire away!

Re: Dark Knight or Dragoon?

dark knight ftw

great strength and spells if you use them lol. but then again drg's can solo a little easier then a drk can
    Last edited by drecan; 05-11-2006, 10:38 AM. Reason: retarded

62THF, 51WAR, 36NIN, 31BLU, 19SAM
    I am the taru that doesn't like any mage class; only brute strength comes from my heart and soul.
    Rank 6
    CoP Mission: The Lost City
    Zilart mission #4

Comment

Don't worry about leveling up either Polearm or Greatsword as a Warrior. Use an axe and shield and/or a greataxe. Those are a Warrior's best weapons. When you start leveling Dark Knight or Dragoon, the weapons in question will level up on their own, and you won't have troubled the parties that got your Warrior to level 30 by using lesser weapons.

The Jump abilities aren't useless. Jump does as much damage and returns as much TP as a normal melee attack, and is essentially a free hit every minute and a half. High Jump sheds some of your hate and does less damage, which is useful since you won't be tanking. Super Jump clears all your hate; again, useful since you won't be tanking. You might be asked to back-up voke or first voke for Sneak Attack/Trick Attack, in which case using those abilities to shed hate immediately afterward can be handy. A Dragoon's place in most parties is that of a damage-dealer, and they're quite good at it. Many players don't recognize that, so they don't get invites as fast as other jobs. But Dragoons can solo to a degree while looking for a party, so that balances out a bit. Judge from your own experiences.

I haven't really leveled Dark Knight so I can't say much about it.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

both jobs are good, and base damage wise do abotu the same, but the DRKs abilites aloow for more damage to be done, where as the DRG can sub any diffrent sibs, and it work well with that job, so DRG is more divers, and trhe jumps are used in mayn ways, Jump is just extra damage, H-JUmp sheds alittle hate and does some dmage where as S-jump takes all hate off of you, and the Wyvern is a nice damage bonus :p

DRK...../WAR /THF /SAM ore the most common /WHM and /RDM work well too

DRG..../WAR /THF/SAM again most common but /WHM /RDM/BLU work really well too, and for the most base damage output /DRK

now many people will come in here and we will ahve a stupi DRG suck DRK ftw fight, but I will tell you this now, try both and take them to 10-20 and see what you like the most.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

i say dark knight for the mixture of black magic and uber damage.... but they cant take alot of hits :-( if they could they would be the best job there is.

dragoon has its own advatages you get a wyvern (thats a given) and jump is a cool technique... i like there double thrust good for skill chains and has nice damage thats about all i can say i actually know about them XD
          = Keza

Comment

Both, or at least, don't worry about it until you're lvl 30. You might find that you like WAR a lot and want to stick with it and you'll probably need to take WAR to 37 anyway since both DRG and DRK would make use of WAR as a subjob.

The AF for both looks good too.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

SAM AF ftw.. o yea but DRK and DRG looks wicked sik too!
              = Keza

Comment

The Dragoon has a helpful wyvern ally and the accuracy/strength bonuses should aid well with a strong polearm, but the Jump ability looks useless and I've been told by a few friends who play that Dragoons don't have a useful place in many parties.
                Meh not very smart Dragoon players. Dragoons outdamage Dark Knights a lot, but you need to be dedicated to level it, like making your own party's and such, because mainly Dragoons don't have the "image" of a specific role. And.. you either be a good Dragoon, or better not be at all. Good Dragoon, I mean showing how busy you are and such. Offer to SC, what SC's you can do with another party and stuff, offer to pull when there's no other puller, and stuff like that. They'll invite you back a lot faster... For the rest... I don't think It matters much. This is just what I know about Dragoons, I know nothing about Dark Knights, never played it past level 20.
                http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

im 75drk and meh... 65drg, drg are better soloers and stuff and might get the same invite rate as a drk from lvls 1-65, but at 65 we all know that drks SS pwns, drgs wheeling thrust is somewhat decent, id drg has alright accuracy, just keep that w/ atked stuff, with drk try to acc it out, use atk stuff when /ws or /ja. oh and now that they fixed drg i think it might be a little better now that you dont have to wait 2hrs for ur pet lol... but over all i think i would rather have drk over drg. and drk is alot funner in my view, its why my drg is at 65 and not 75 like my drk.
                  you can always lv more than 1 job. everyone thinks "oh my main" lv what you want and how much jobs
                  Hmmm, L33t Pullers at work!
                  [75NIN][75SAM] [75DRK] [75BRD] [71RDM] [65DRG]

Comment

their both really good just gowith your gut also if you do decide to use Dark go with Scythes instead of great sword the DRK is better with them than great sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sou Kenka
                      their both really good just gowith your gut also if you do decide to use Dark go with Scythes instead of great sword the DRK is better with them than great sword
                      scythe early lvs, great sword higher lvs, tho drk doesnt have the greatest greatsword skill its still more useful in pts

Comment

Originally posted by Sou Kenka
                        Never limit yourself. If you have a decent skill in any weapon you should skill it up, because there will be times when you will want access to a weapon skill from a weapon that might not be your A+ weapon. DRK has the benefit that both Scythe and Great Sword are good for use in parties, but they should also level 1 handed swords, daggers, axes and the like. You just have to do it on your own instead of switching between weapons in EXP parties.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron
                          Never limit yourself. If you have a decent skill in any weapon you should skill it up, because there will be times when you will want access to a weapon skill from a weapon that might not be your A+ weapon. DRK has the benefit that both Scythe and Great Sword are good for use in parties, but they should also level 1 handed swords, daggers, axes and the like. You just have to do it on your own instead of switching between weapons in EXP parties.
                          right on brother!

Comment

Working...
                          X