This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Job Switching

I just started playing on Friday evening...
    And, I have gotten my main Job, WAR, to level 10.

I realize that I won't be able to successfully get a SubJob until at least level 18...

But, I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to go ahead and start leveling another Job...That way, I have at least 2 Jobs that are pretty decent levels once I get further along into the game, without hindering my "would be" PT.

I eventually want to be a Dark Knight or a Paladin.
    And, I know that Warrior is a good SubJob for the Paladin...
    But, I wanted to try out how effective a Red Mage would be for one or both a Paladin and a Dark Knight.

|Alchemy: 3|Cooking: 3|Smithing: 1|Fishing: 1|
    ====================

Re: Early Job Switching

There's no harm in it, just a bit of time commitment. At lower levels, most of the gear can be shared between jobs, broken into mage armor and melee armor (and then there's Monks). So the only gil investment would be weapons (and if you buy those in shops and sell them on the AH when you're done, you generally profit) and spells. Plus you get a chance to try other jobs out, and you end up with a good amount of crystals, beastman's seals, and items.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

it's not.
      90% of the time /war is the only subjob for PLD (and for a reason). /rdm is quite pointless.
      same for DRK (mostly /war or /thf).

leveling another job is always a good idea. It'll allow for greater flexibility for various events (BCNM, Missions, etc.).

If you don't mind some advice, I would recommend you level WHM to at least 36. The utility it would provide is priceless.

Another general rule you should keep in mind is that melee main jobs are (usually) only complemented by melee sub jobs and mage main jobs are only complemented by mage sub jobs. Mixing them, unless you know what you are doing, is quite gimp.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Hmm...
        Seeing that makes me kind of think about what I want my future Main Job to be...
        I think that a RDM is a really cool class...And, I'd like to use it as a SubJob.

I actually switched to it last night for about half an hour...
        And, I gained 2 levels in a matter of just a few battles.
        Amazingly...I was able to use my Bronze Sword instead of the Onion Sword...
        Which helped alot...Especially seeing as how my Sword Skill is about 22 or 23 at this point.

|Alchemy: 3|Cooking: 3|Smithing: 1|Fishing: 1|
        ====================

Comment

Well, now that you've brought that up, if you go back to Warrior, you should invest in an axe and/or greataxe. They're much better weapons (higher damage, higher skill caps, better weaponskills) than swords for Warriors.

For most of the jobs that typically sub Red Mage, Red Mage is the second choice as sub. White Mage and Black Mage can both use RDM sub, but they usually sub each other instead. Beastmaster and Dragoon can sub RDM, but in the cases where they do, WHM is usually the first choice. Those would be the jobs that sub RDM most often. Possibly Bard, but that's a case of WHM making even more sense as a sub than the others.
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

Also be aware that as you try jobs out, you may change your mind a few times. Before I started playing, I did a bit of reading around and was torn between BLM/WHM and RNG/NIN. I settled on aiming for RNG/NIN and chose a mithra character for the stats. I started playing as a THF, changed to WAR after not being able to get a Dunes party, then went through WHM, BLM and RDM before I found BST.

In hindsight, RNG/NIN was probably* not the way to go anyway. I didn't realise that NIN was a tank class and that it would take morgaging my soul to Altana to pay for either RNG or NIN, never mind both.

As you try different jobs out and see other people playing, you'll get a better feel for what each job does and what you enjoy playing. Also, as you rise in levels the nature of many jobs changes.

*may be slight understatement
            I have heard that those who celebrate life
            walk safely amongst the wild animals.
            When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
            the animals find no place to attack them
            and weapons are unable to harm them.
            Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

Working...
            X