Aht Urhgan mission 2: Immortal Sentries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aht Urhgan mission 2: Immortal Sentries

I'm trying to complete this mission so I can warp directly to Aht Urhgan from the home cities (already did Lure of The Wildcats) and I'm having trouble. My highest job is 44 WHM, and I attempted to do the run with sneak and invis, everything was going fine until invis dropped at a really bad time, two bombs aggroed, Fire III + Fire IV and I was instantly dead lol...

Anyways, it looks like there's a few different options to complete this mission, so what's the easiest (safest) way to complete this mission? I can only eat one more death before I delevel, so I'm trying not to die this time around. Is this something I should even attempt at this point or am I being silly in even trying at my low level?
    I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
    -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
    http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Re: Aht Urhgan mission 2: Immortal Sentries

Sneak and Invis are all you really need. I just did this on 38 WHM, with the Halvung staging point. I don't know about the others, but the only part of that that was challenging was getting past true-sight trolls, and that was really just a matter of waiting.

Keep Reraise up (obviously), Stoneskin and Blink if you can afford the time & MP, get some Sprinter's Shoes and oils/powders in case you get stuck near magic aggro, use a chocobo for the parts you can, and be patient. If you get aggro, just keep running, try to find a better place to die (such as near the zone) and reraise.

Azouph is pretty easy too, except for the imps. Those bastards get me every time, but that's another place where just running and reraising worked.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
      Sneak and Invis are all you really need. I just did this on 38 WHM, with the Halvung staging point. I don't know about the others, but the only part of that that was challenging was getting past true-sight trolls, and that was really just a matter of waiting.

Keep Reraise up (obviously), Stoneskin and Blink if you can afford the time & MP, get some Sprinter's Shoes and oils/powders in case you get stuck near magic aggro, use a chocobo for the parts you can, and be patient. If you get aggro, just keep running, try to find a better place to die (such as near the zone) and reraise.

Azouph is pretty easy too, except for the imps. Those bastards get me every time, but that's another place where just running and reraising worked.
      If you went near True sight trolls in Halvung you took the wrong path. Also, you can just walk it, cast escape, and be on the otherside with no trouble at all.

Seriously, both Halvung and the Mamool points were so easy it hurts. Hell the only places that are even remotely dangerous are the Azouph Isle one and the Illrusi one, and both because they have Imps camped out near the staging points.

Also, don't forget about getting the Nyzul Isle point, it makes getting the Periqia point a hell of a lot simpler.
      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
        If you went near True sight trolls in Halvung you took the wrong path. Also, you can just walk it, cast escape, and be on the otherside with no trouble at all.
        Well, bugger. I thought I saw 'em listed as true-sight and was too focused on what I was doing to really check. But yeah, escape would've made that even easier.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Yeah, I saw that you could escape through the zone when I tried the first run, but I don't have escape yet, unfortunately.

I'll try again using sneak oils/prism powders. My Sneak/Invis is still really random as far as how long it's gonna stick (sometimes lasts the whole zone, other's the shits wearing as soon as I finish casting), so items would prolly make it easier.

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

If you don't have Escape yet I'd recomend doing Azouph island instead. It's pretty straight-forward and only need to be careful of true sight imps and the occasional Chigoe.
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot...may the Goddess Altana protect me ^^

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Originally posted by Effedup View Post
                Yeah, I saw that you could escape through the zone when I tried the first run, but I don't have escape yet, unfortunately.

I'll try again using sneak oils/prism powders. My Sneak/Invis is still really random as far as how long it's gonna stick (sometimes lasts the whole zone, other's the shits wearing as soon as I finish casting), so items would prolly make it easier.
                All Sneak/Invis items/spells/skills are like that. With oils it's especially bad because you're paying a decent amount of change per use and they can burn up quickly. However it's still always smart to carry the items around, even for a mage, due to magic aggro.

And other then Halvung, I still say Mamool's is the easiest if you take the right path. For more then half the trip there's actually very little in terms of aggro.

Following this map you can get through Mamook with no trouble. You start from the D-12 entrance in Wajo woods, and follow the path, using invis to get past any Mamools in the way(shouldn't be more then 2) till you come to the first opening. At this point you Sneak/Invis and go south to a small tunnel, follow the two drops and with Sn/In still up hug the right wall until you get to a ramp. Then you follow that south, only needing Invis for Mamools, until you get to h-10, at which point you go west. From here you're home free, the spiders in there don't aggro at all. Just follow the path, make sure you don't fall and you'll be in Bhaf thickets just a stones throw away from the staging point. No true sight or true sound anything in your path and the only times you need sneak is in those highlighted areas.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

All Sneak/Invis items/spells/skills are like that. With oils it's especially bad because you're paying a decent amount of change per use and they can burn up quickly. However it's still always smart to carry the items around, even for a mage, due to magic aggro.
                  Oh, I didn't know that. It always seemed to me that items worked better than magic for that stuff, I theorized that since it doesn't take my magic skills into account (which aren't capped) it lasted longer. It always seems to in my usage of them, at least, but I must have just read too much into it. I know that my sneaks/invis always seem to fail a lot more than when my 75 WHM friend's does. At any rate, good to know...saves me some money

And thank you so much for that map and directions! Makes it much easier for me...last time I tried the run my heart was like pounding the whole way cause everything is so pissed off out there lol. I'm gonna give it another shot tonight ^^

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Alzadaal / Nyzul Isle Staging Point won't count for completing that mission. However, using Nyzul Isle can make reaching Dvucca Isle Staging Point trivial. The path is basically Nashmau > Caedarva > Alzadaal (via the entrance just West of Nashmau) > Caedarva > Dvucca Isle Staging Point.

There are Imps in Caedarva Mire near that last stretch. But if you keep sneak/invis up (to avoid aggro from Qutrub) and stick close to the wall on your right hand side, you'll reach Dvucca with no problems.

All Sneak/Invis items/spells/skills are like that. With oils it's especially bad because you're paying a decent amount of change per use and they can burn up quickly.
                    Actually, I've found silent oil and prism powder to be quite consistent in their duration. There was a particular zone that I remember having to traverse quite regularly using oils/powders, and they would always start wearing off at around the same spot in the zone. I haven't done any testing with a stop watch to see if they are of fixed duration. But I wouldn't be surprised if oils and powders have only a small amount of variance in their duration.

And a minor nitpick: Tonko and Monomi is a "spell" form of sneak/invis, and it has a fixed duration that's never random.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                      And a minor nitpick: Tonko and Monomi is a "spell" form of sneak/invis, and it has a fixed duration that's never random.
                      Now I feel like an idiot, I never thought about it but I have Dancer in the 30's and I could just spectral jig my way through for free. Right? Does Spectral Jig suck? Never even used it before lol

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Spectral Jig is good, just remember if you want to recast you have to cancel Sneak or the Jig wont have any effect, as it has to apply both effects at the same time.
                        sigpic
                        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                          Alzadaal / Nyzul Isle Staging Point won't count for completing that mission. However, using Nyzul Isle can make reaching Dvucca Isle Staging Point trivial. The path is basically Nashmau > Caedarva > Alzadaal (via the entrance just West of Nashmau) > Caedarva > Dvucca Isle Staging Point.
                          You can enter Alzadaal at any entrance and get to any exit easily, that's what makes it so great. I usually use the Bhaf thickets entrance for newbies because you can choco to it, and once the Staging point is active, you can just tele there and go to Dvucca. But as you said, it won't count for that mission. (I don't even know if you can get in there when you're at that mission)

Actually, I've found silent oil and prism powder to be quite consistent in their duration. There was a particular zone that I remember having to traverse quite regularly using oils/powders, and they would always start wearing off at around the same spot in the zone. I haven't done any testing with a stop watch to see if they are of fixed duration. But I wouldn't be surprised if oils and powders have only a small amount of variance in their duration.
                          I can gaurentee you that oils/powders have a varience to them, which can be very wild indeed. There have been many times when Sneak starts wearing shortly after being applied via oils. Infact my LS has coined the term "chinese oils" for those situations in mocking of them being made of lesser quality due to mass production.

And one quick note about Spectral Jig. There are some mobs that actually aggro Job Abilities. If you are going after the Illrusi or Dvucca points DO NOT USE SPECTRAL JIG. It will draw any Shades from a great distance to smite you down and smite you down hard. I had a friend learn that the hard way. These things were so far away at the time that not even being in red HP would have caused aggro, but the moment she danced her dance, three of them made a b-line to her and dropped her real fast. I think Puddings may aggro JAs too, but you shouldn't see any getting the Halvung point.

Comment

Working...
                          X