a question about 5-1 and a little upset at the guide online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about 5-1 and a little upset at the guide online

The other day we attempted the 5-1 fight. I was the only member of the party that was less than lvl 50(lvl 43 blu/thf). The other members of the party were a whm, drg, 2nin/war and a mnk(sorry that I don't remember all the subs but they were correct for the jobs).

The strategy we were using was the drg would aggro the main skeleton and after that I was to bomb blast the minions(I think the person making the strategy thought bomb blast would be more effective). We did the strategy and that's where the fun started for me. As soon as I did bomb blast(with a capped blu skill for my lvl of 43) I was immediately aggroed by 4 skeletons(which didn't surprise me since bomb blast will aggro anything in a certain range). I was able to survive for a little while but after about 3 min and a thunderga(sorry if I spelled it wrong) from the boss I was basically toast in the fight. The other party members lasted about 3 min more but eventually the party wiped with the boss down to about 10% hp left.

My questions are:
    1)was the strategy the most ideal 1 with me basically taking on all the skeletons as a lvl 43(even if it was blu with all the spells upto my lvl of 43)

2) should I have even tried the fight as a lvl 43 blu?

3)(which also leads to my rant about the online guides) why is there no mention on ffxiclopedia that the minions will keep re-spawning. If I knew that they kept re-spawing I would have gone after the boss to try to wear him down.

4)what is the ideal set-up for the fight assuming I am a blu/thf at lvl 43.

thank you for any in-put and advice
    u have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them

Re: a question about 5-1 and a little upset at the guide online

Originally posted by DR2D2 View Post
    My questions are:
    1)was the strategy the most ideal 1 with me basically taking on all the skeletons as a lvl 43(even if it was blu with all the spells upto my lvl of 43)

2) should I have even tried the fight as a lvl 43 blu?

3)(which also leads to my rant about the online guides) why is there no mention on ffxiclopedia that the minions will keep re-spawning. If I knew that they kept re-spawing I would have gone after the boss to try to wear him down.

4)what is the ideal set-up for the fight assuming I am a blu/thf at lvl 43.

thank you for any in-put and advice

I have no opinion on if your strategy was good or not, and personally all of my successful 5-1 fights (of which there were 2-3 so far) have been with a bard and lullaby. Maybe someone with a better grasp on BLU's abilities.

I would say that, really, you should have been 50 for it, just for the extra hp, mp and various attributes increased.

There's a reason that it's a wiki-style setup. If it's wrong, then fix it yourself.

I would also say, again, to get up to 50 so you can get that extra 7 levels of HP/MP (which is significant), then build up a party...
    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

You're probably talking about Blastbomb, which has additional effect Bind. That's my guess as to the reasoning behind it. In absence of someone who could sleep the skeletons, you'd be able to bind them, preventing them from causing troubles while the others attacked the main skeleton.

You might have been better able to survive had you been closer to the level cap of the BCNM. BCNMs are capped at their levels for a reason. Going to a 50 cap BCNM at level 43 is the same as trying to exp on something that's too high for you. Difficulty significantly decreases the closer to the cap you are. In addition, the extra blu magic skill you would've had might have allowed bind to take effect and last longer.

At any rate, I'm curious to see this guide that you're talking about. Keep in mind that not all guides and sites are created equal. The trick is to find a site with the most reliable and complete information you can. Typically some sites excel in one thing while other sites are better in other areas. You may need more than one site to meet all your needs.

Keep in mind that you can't count on everyone to be as detailed and thorough as you might want them to be because you can't control their quality of work. That goes for just about anything in life.
      My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
      Originally posted by Balfree
      Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Paladins are good here for kiting while the party burns the boss skeleton. It's pretty much a dogpile.

Comment

I've done this 3 different times, as 3 different jobs.

1st time: RDM kite - I ran in Diaga'd all the minions and ran like a sissy while Stoneskin, Phalanx, Blink, and Ice Spikes helped keep me stay alive. I got in trouble once, but good team work kept me alive. Just as I ran into the main room damn near dead, the WHM dropped a big Cure on me and we got the win.

2nd time: DRK DD - Had a MNK pop Hundred Fists right out of the gate, while another RDM attempted to kite. RDM went down, but by the time they did, the Skele was so beat up, the fight was just about over.

3rd time: WAR/NIN DD/tank - No MNK this time, but I did have another WAR and a PUP. The RDM we grabbed did a great job of kiting, so we had plenty of time to just focus on the MB. We didn't break any speed records but we got the job done.

Another thing to consider is you can just about 1-shot the minions (I think they only have like 50HP or something. RDM Sword w/ Enfire more than does the trick.) that will continue to spawn down the corridor of the BCNM. You could have one person focus on them, and just bust them up as they walk in the door. A RDM/DRK and a RDM/DRG have solo'd this fight.
          Odude
          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Generally you sleep or ignore the minions since they'll respawn infinitely.

I can't understand for the life of me why you'd be using blastbomb. Spam the hell out of Bludgeon and Headbutt. Bludgeon does insane damage to skeletons, and well headbutt stops those stupid spells from being cast. Dispel is very important too to get rid of those ice spikes.

Sheepsong should be good enough to sleep the skeletons since it's light based, though since you're 7 levels under I don't know how well it would stick.

I'd also consider subbing ninja so you don't get interrupted while casting sheepsong.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Few days late, but just happened on this thread.

When I did this fight we used AoE ws on the main skelly, and tried to kite the lesser ones always within range. After 1 or 2 ws, the little minions would be dead and give us a few seconds to focus on the big boss. We didn't have a bard, but we got the job done. I'm pretty sure that war have an AoE Gaxe ws at that level, I believe thats who we used for the AoEs.

While strategies on wiki and other sites are good, they don't work for everyone. I use them for refrence and direction, but rarely try to follow it to a T. Best of luck to you.

Comment

There is no AoE Great Axe WS. There isn't even one for 1h Axe so I'm unsure as to where you got that from.
                My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                Originally posted by Balfree
                Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Every time I've done this we just had a PLD aggro everything in there, and use Invincible while everyone else just bum rushes the main skelly with whatever they have. Works every time.

Comment

Working...
                  X