Playstation 2 version questions, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation 2 version questions, etc.

Hey, I used to play this game a few years ago on my PS2 and was wondering several things. My name was Reapz, my main was a 75 DRK (with most other jobs 37 just for the hell of it), and I was on Diabolos. One of the reasons I quit for so long was that there used to be this f'ed up policy where if you stopped for 3 months you had to buy the game and all the expansions over and reregister it or whatever. Also, it was said that you could lose your character and it could never be reactivated. I was having DSL issues as well as getting burnt out and wanting to take a break for a couple months but the principle of the thing made me say screw that and I just quit. I had a few hundred million gil worth of gear because I spent an insane amount of time chocobo digging, playing the AH, etc. I gave it all away right before I quit. But I digress...

I recently got an email from Squeenix trying to get old players back that said they could reactivate old deleted characters. I booted up my old PS2, (Which is so worn out it can't even read disks anymore) and actually managed to get on my old POL account on it. I was looking at the updates and what not as I was considering playing again and noticed that they were selling the codes to use the expansions for $9.99 a piece. NOT the actual expansions just the codes to let me use them. They were also selling some new quests or whatever for $9.99 a piece, as well. I did notice, however, that now they sell FF11 and all the expansions and new quests ALL TOGETHER for $9.99 online. What the hell?! How does that work out?

I guess I should point out that the last time I played Chains of Promathia was the latest expansion and, also, my computer is older then dirt and can't run FF11, so that's not an option at the moment. I still have my Playonline ID and password but I don't have any of the other codes and IDs of Zilart and Promathia or anything else.

Soooo, what I was wondering is if I can play this game on my PS2 and get to use my expansions without any extra fees or am I going to have to end up paying more then it would be to buy all the expansions and play it on a computer (if I had a decent one). Is there a way to pay $9.99 and just download them all to my PS2 instead?

Also, it used to be freaking impossible getting parties as a DRK back in the day even though I was all decked out. Is it any better now? Did they ever make it more solo friendly for that class, in particular? I've been wanting to revisit Vanadiel and my friends for years (Though, I'm sure they're all gone as well by now) but am not about to re-buy a game I already have for $40 nor do I want to start over from scratch after logging in an insane amount of hours. So, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Reapz; 08-09-2010, 03:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: Playstation 2 version questions, etc.

Originally posted by Reapz View Post
    One of the reasons I quit for so long was that there used to be this f'ed up policy where if you stopped for 3 months you had to buy the game and all the expansions over and reregister it or whatever.
    This has never been the case. There was a chance you would lose your character if you canceled the content ID for 3 months. Buying the game again has never been in any policies.

Your codes are still valid, you don't have to buy the game again.

You might want to get a full package including everything that's been released simply to avoid the huge amounts of patches that have been released since you quit.

You can still use your old account on that though, just have to remember the account details, otherwise if you do want your stuff back and don't remember anything, contact SE and they'll have it sorted out for you most probably.
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Also, while the newer mini-expansions are DLC, you still need an actual disc to install WoTG, etc. And I recall that Abyssea requires WoTG to be installed first.

It would be a good idea to find another working fat PS2, or at least see if you can get away with just doing the "white gear" adjustment to get the drive working again. Sony used a crappy spring made of sheet metal that can weaken with time and use, and the white gear is the coarse adjustment that gets it back in range.

Good luck finding the install discs, though. They aren't cheap these days, especially the VC09 edition, which lets you install everything all at once.
      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I have the 2008 Collection, and I could lend it out, but after being burned in the past from someone selling what I sent them instead of returning it, you'd actually be buying it from me and then selling it back when you are done.

The other option is to see if you can run homebrew on your PS2 so you can use uLaunchELF on it. If so, I've got a torrent of all the data files from the PS2 hard drive as of March, and you could copy them to your install with a USB flash drive.

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dat...2-version.html

Patching would take care of the rest, but this would actually get you the data files for the expansions, and they could be installed without a disc.

If you system isn't set to run homebrew, there are some people like me that will set it up for you if you mail a memory card for us to install the exploit and software. Homebrew can be run on a PS2 with just a mmeory card with the proper files installed to it.
        http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
        http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
        http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
        My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

POL IDs are global so you could just use those PC codes just fine. For the original expansions(up to wings of the goddess) you still need the install disks for the data on them. Without the data from the disk even if you activated the expansion you still couldn't enter that area. For the new mini-expansions the data just gets downloaded but not activated.(the code from the PC version will turn all of them on)

PS2 disks tend to sell of alot but if you have codes(to activate the expansion) used ones are not an issue. I bought my disks on the 1st release and I still have them so my PS2 is working just fine...

BTW some PS2 disks are not as rare and expensive as everyone thinks: FFXI: Wings of the Goddess sealed(ebay), and ebay search for FFXI PS2 stuff

However I will say that the Vana'diel Collection 2008(the most complete PS2 install) disk usually commands a very high price...even used!
          Last edited by Shadowneko; 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM.
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

you should be able to get the 08 collection at some game retailers i know my local EB games (canadas equivellent of gamestop) gets a copy or two still every couple months. Unfortunately I think they stopped producng discs for PS2 after that package, I could be wrong. Also how old is your computer if it can't run FFXI =D.

The only ones i think you need a disk for anyhow are WoTG and ToAU. I believe the new stuff (the 3 mini addons ACP, MKD, ASA and the Abyssea expos) are all content installed via updates, you can access them by buying a package online from someone like D2D and get a reg code to access the 3 mini's then buy the abyssea from SE themselves. This also allows you to save the D2D crap on your computer (or not since the puchase is tied to your account and can be redownloaded anytime) and the should you get a newer PC, install it there.

sig courtesy tgm
            retired -08

Comment

You can buy it on pc install it on pc get ID and use ID on PS2 i did this for my self.

Comment

Working...
              X