Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning after 3 years! Help!

Hello all!

After 3 years I'm finally returning to FFXI! Crazy, crazy excitement due to the fact that I have grown quite weary of the EasyMode MMO that is World of Warcraft where gameplay seems to be how fast one can set their nose on "h" and roll their face across the keyboard. FFXI was my first MMORPG and I can't wait to re-experience everything from the amazing story to the incredibly more mature community. Trust me, one more day of "lUlz ur bad, K? i kan haz ur gold kthxbai?" would have made me commit suicide with a rusty ladel.

Back in the day, I mained a 58 RDM/BLM and I loved the job after hopping back and forth between the different choices. Now the plan is to return as WHM to begin with and then snag the Bard class at 30. I've always played a healer or support class (namely because I've tried my hand at DD and Tanking and I felt like a fish out of water) and I'm very excited to return to what I know best.

Also, I plan on more than likely returning to the Asura server ( to play with my sister, who is unfortunately unable to provide any real advice due to the fact she's super-casual)
    How is their economy? Is there anyone who is able to offer a slot in an LS to an easy-going friendly American such as myself?

Apart from this wall of text, I was wondering the following, and please, forgive my noobishness.

1.) From what I've researched on Level-Synch, it appears it's useful in the sense that you can party with anyone. From what I understand you could be a 70 and synch with a 20 and still be able to level with them and earn the same XP a normal 20 would earn?

2.) Has this helped partying? One thing I'm not looking foward to is the long waits for invites/Looking for more members.

3.) I'm NOT one of the MMO'ers who wants to solo-up to the level cap. Defeats the purpose of the MMO in my opinion, but are there options to where you could gain light XP while waiting?

4.) Back when I played, the normal gameplan for a noob was to hit 10, earn enough money to make sure you have all your spells and level-appropriate equipment, and then head out to Vulkurm all prepared for the 10-20 grind. I've been reading on how people are now soloing till 20. Are the just incredibly hardcore and don't mind resting forever between fights or was there something implemented?

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this massive block of nooboscity. And thanks soooo much for anyone who replies with and advice or recommendations!!!
    My apologies again for such a long thread, but I hate going into something wihtout gathering information from what seems to be a very well-informed and mature community

Re: Returning after 3 years! Help!

2)it helps partying, but once you finally get one your real level and you haven't been keeping up on your skills, you're gonna be gimped there.

3)fields of valor seems like it would be good while waiting. or just killing EP

4)they made it so you get a little more exp off DC and EP mobs

on a side note, your sig made me lol =P

Read if you don't value your braincells.

Comment

Originally posted by Xuoren View Post

1.) From what I've researched on Level-Synch, it appears it's useful in the sense that you can party with anyone. From what I understand you could be a 70 and synch with a 20 and still be able to level with them and earn the same XP a normal 20 would earn?

2.) Has this helped partying? One thing I'm not looking foward to is the long waits for invites/Looking for more members.

3.) I'm NOT one of the MMO'ers who wants to solo-up to the level cap. Defeats the purpose of the MMO in my opinion, but are there options to where you could gain light XP while waiting?

4.) Back when I played, the normal gameplan for a noob was to hit 10, earn enough money to make sure you have all your spells and level-appropriate equipment, and then head out to Vulkurm all prepared for the 10-20 grind. I've been reading on how people are now soloing till 20. Are the just incredibly hardcore and don't mind resting forever between fights or was there something implemented?
      1.) Yes, and yes. However, your skills will be capped, so after you level, you won't be able to skill up if you're still synced.

2.) Definitely, and very noticeably.

3.) Yeah, there are. Not just by killing and grinding all day, but there are multiple quests you can do to gain a few EXP here and there. (i.e., Pulling the Strings ENM 60 Solo - 2,000 EXP for completion and you can do it every 5 days, etc)

4.) Well, if you'd like to evade the noobhorde that is Valkurm, and be anti-social, then yes you can solo. However, the people who do it have jobs to sub like DNC, PUP, SMN, even WHM or RDM. Or they have a power leveler. So it's recommended for your situation, that you just go through Valk. Maybe you'll get lucky, as a lot of end gamers are leveling support jobs and such.

It's really not that bad anymore.

Hope I helped
      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
      Yeah, It’s true.
      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Xuoren View Post
        Trust me, one more day of "lUlz ur bad, K? i kan haz ur gold kthxbai?" would have made me commit suicide with a rusty ladel.
        ROTFLMAO!!!! I know exactly whatyou mean!

I just came back after 2 years of wowing and i gave up on tha poor story and narrative that game has.

FFXI is still more mature and I am pleased to say that the game has been changed for the better.

The levelsycn thing is outstanding, however yes, you will need to try to keep en eye on your skills. What I do for example is try to so as much of my avatars abilites etc to try and keep my skills up tp date.

The game did get more "enjoyable" and the story is there.. amazing as ever.

The economy (at least in Kujata) is very stable and SE has apparently taken care of the main issues that used to hurt it.

There is still a very STRONG and evne growing community and teher a tons of people leveling low level jobs, so I think you are in the right time to come back.

Keep in touch!

Comment

Originally posted by Van'derfel View Post

on a side note, your sig made me lol =P
          Ditto!
          Last edited by TheGrandMom; 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the replies! Though I'm always open to more advice, thank you for taking the time to look through my post, all of these responses helped so much

So excited to hop back in again!

Should be snagging the direct2download.com version of Vana'Diel collection 2008 within two weeks or so! Can't wait to get back to that awesome story and leveling!!!

Also, if there's anyone out there from Asura, are there any noob-friendly LS's? I'm always willing to learn and make my character the best that it can be. Yes, I'm one of those researchy types. You have to have something to do at school during study periods

Speaking of which, 1:25am and I have two tests in the morning. Procrastination is the thief of inner-peace I suppose.

Thanks again for all the help and I'm open to anything else anyone could offer on the subjects!

Comment

Expect to procastinate everything you've planned if you take up FFXI again.

And, just do a /shout in a crowded city (Jueno, Aht Urghan, sometimes even the starter cities work) and you'll get a trade request right away, or a /tell.

I left the game around 7 months ago, came back and my LSes were empty, so I just /shouted in Ru'lude Gardens and some Elvaan Blu just trades with me within seconds, and it turned out to be a cool bunch of people.

So, just try that, and have fun
              In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
              And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
              Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
              Yeah, It’s true.
              It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

I have heard that tht D2D version has problems. I would suggest getting it from ebgames download. much much easier.

Comment

Working...
                X