Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome back to FFXI! Here, have a backstab!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome back to FFXI! Here, have a backstab!

So, I log into one of my LS forums this morning. Or, I try to. I'm banned. After work, I find out it's because I'm not doing endgame with them. The forum in question is for a social linkshell. The HNM stuff came later, and is in another shell entirely.

Now, most forum software has the capability to have user groups and make certain sections of a forum visible only to members of a certain group. They could have done that. But no, everyone who is not HNMing with them is banned.

What am I going to do, steal their alliance strategies and use them to solo with 12 merits and insufficient gear? Since when is trying to be friends not good enough for a linkshell that's supposed to be social?

Now, I had my drama with this group, back in August. But, they moved on from it and did not hold grudges long before I realized I overreacted and had the guts to apologize to them for blowing up at them regarding an incident involving getting help with Charybdis.

Why do I attract drama like a flame attracts moths?

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
    Image by Askannyi
    LoneGamer.net

Re: Welcome back to FFXI! Here, have a backstab!

This is the exact reason why:
    1) Many social linkshells turned end-game shells fail
    2) I stay out of end-game. Completely. I don't have sky, I don't have sea, the furthest along on any storyline would be my Windurst mission storyline, to which I'm 65% complete on. By comparison, I'm ~38% done with ToAU, ~23% complete with CoP, and only ~22% done with RoZ. If you consider Assaults missions (which I don't), I've done one. Ever. And I did it twice. I'm not expecting to complete those anytime soon. In addition to all this, while I can access Dynamis, I choose not to. Mass death is not one of my strong points.

As I have written elsewhere on end-game activities (I'll post it if I ever find it), most people are at least aware of the drama and general negative feelings toward end-game groups. I personally think those that join one of these groups need to have their head examined. To clarify: I'm not bashing every single HNM/Dynamis/etc etc LS, just the 99% of them that are loaded with drama.

So, I choose to skip the odds altogether on finding an end-game shell, and just work on my own. End-game is entirely overrated (not to mention it's not even necessary -- I can do my job just as well without relic as with).
    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Well, there's only one thing to do.

Stab them in the back.

Literally.
      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
      Yeah, It’s true.
      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
        This is the exact reason why:
        1) Many social linkshells turned end-game shells fail
        2) I stay out of end-game. Completely. I don't have sky, I don't have sea, the furthest along on any storyline would be my Windurst mission storyline, to which I'm 65% complete on. By comparison, I'm ~38% done with ToAU, ~23% complete with CoP, and only ~22% done with RoZ. If you consider Assaults missions (which I don't), I've done one. Ever. And I did it twice. I'm not expecting to complete those anytime soon. In addition to all this, while I can access Dynamis, I choose not to. Mass death is not one of my strong points.
        As I have written elsewhere on end-game activities (I'll post it if I ever find it), most people are at least aware of the drama and general negative feelings toward end-game groups. I personally think those that join one of these groups need to have their head examined. To clarify: I'm not bashing every single HNM/Dynamis/etc etc LS, just the 99% of them that are loaded with drama.
        So, I choose to skip the odds altogether on finding an end-game shell, and just work on my own. End-game is entirely overrated (not to mention it's not even necessary -- I can do my job just as well without relic as with).
        Sorry to pick on you or go off-topic, but if you do none of thsoe things then what exactly do you do apart from levelling and crafting? Also I would hardly call missions and assaults end-game content, you can happily do those without any dramatics ... the really drama-laden events are things like HNMs.

I don't think you should prevent yourself from doing missions because you think there's going to be drama ... especially when there isn't any 99% of the time.

Comment

Actual missions (for any storyline) I don't consider end-game. However, I mentioned that to show how far I am from getting access to the end-game areas (sky, sea) that those missions unlock.

And what do I do? Well, I used to craft, but I stopped some time ago once I got my woodworkers apron. I really should pick something up again (I've been thinking fishing), but I just don't have it in me. I'll occasionally pick up some materials, namely bolt-/arrowheads, or black ink/bast parchment, and craft things because I know I'll HQ them, just for some extra money on the side.

I do gardening on the side, on 6 mules. I grow my own carrots and virtually every type of green (Ghysahl, Shraug, Azouph), which I use in raising my chocobo(s). Eventually I may even get back into the habit of growing crystals or elemental ore. I go out harvesting every so often.

Currently, all I'm doing is leveling. When I'm not doing that, I'll be doing random quests. In particular, I would love to be able to get the title "Brown Mage By-product" or "Brown Mage Guinea Pig" (having 20-some stacks of ghyshal greens from 2 mules gardening every week doesn't hurt with this). I also go checking through my quest log, and try to finish up any active quests I can, look through FFXIcylopedia to see what I want versus the quest chain to get it (like, for example, a horn I just recently got: I had to go through the entire quest chain of 3-4 quests to get it... not that it was that hard).

I'll also help out people (in my social linkshell) who are rank 3-4 get to rank 5. I'll help people camp NM's they need (recently camped Chary for someone's joytoy -- 8 hours and chary didn't even pop).

I'm not keeping myself from doing missions, but I'm not actively seeking them either. If I see a pickup party needing someone, I'll see if I can join. That's how I got through 2-4 on CoP. I don't have a static for anything. It may not seem like I can actually do much anymore, but most of the time I get by. I'd say about 25% of the time I'm on I'll be afk-ish anyway (watching TV and the like).
          Last edited by KingOfZeal; 06-14-2007, 05:21 AM.
          Kindadarii (Bahamut)
          70.3 + 2 Woodworking
          52.2 Synergy

Comment

Drama always happens when an social shell goes endgame or a social/endgame mix, trust me I get dragged into everyone's drama. It really sucks just try to keep your friends.
            [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
              Drama always happens when an social shell goes endgame or a social/endgame mix, trust me I get dragged into everyone's drama. It really sucks just try to keep your friends.
              Actually, drama always happens in end game, period.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

While drama may exist in social shells occasionally, there really isn't any reason for it. If a social shell has drama on a regular basis then it's either not a true social linkshell, or the linkshell owner needs to do something.
                Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                52.2 Synergy

Comment

Personally I have no time for HNMs and camping bores me. Since I got 75 thf I've spent no time doing merits and lots of time low-leveling other jobs and trying to run missions...(I'm a mission manaic!)

Your problem is weird...I mean it's like your friends ditched you because you didn't do what they wanted to do! I don't need friends like that and I'm not sure you do either....
                  Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                  (have fun MMO players ^^)
                  Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                    Actually, drama always happens in end game, period.

Oh but it gets real nasty in the mix lol, trust me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                      Actually, drama always happens in any game, period.
                      Fixed.

Drama happens regardless of shell, level, or activity.

I try to keep a drama-free shell, but it just sneaks in outta nowhere.

75 BLU | THF | PLD

Comment

Originally posted by net.drifter View Post
                        Fixed.
                        Drama happens regardless of shell, level, or activity.
                        I try to keep a drama-free shell, but it just sneaks in outta nowhere.

Also works as:

Number of People > 2 = Drama

Comment

Number of People > 2 = Drama
                          Nope, People = Drama. See Cast Away for proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            I didn't find castaway very dramatic. It bored me. Tom Hanks should have just died, that would have been a much better movie.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                              Technically it was:

Wilson = 1 person
                              Girlfriend's pic = 1 person

If the guy had lost his memory and didn't make an imaginary friend the amount of drama would've had a concentration level lower than 0.0001%. Which can be easily discarded for practical purposes.

So I'd say:

If Q - 1 > 0 then = Drama

Where Q is the amount of people involved.

For the record I liked the movie, but then again I'm weird like that.
                              sigpic
                              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X