Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could my PC run FFXI at a constant 30 fps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my PC run FFXI at a constant 30 fps?

I know I can only get a really rough answer with this question, but I'll try anyway. My PC's specs are:

Windows XP Home
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz
    1 GB DDR400 RAM (Dual Channel)
    GeForce 6600 GT 256 MB

I want to run it at 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 1024 for both overlay and background resolution, so, do you think I could run it at a constant 30 fps? If not, what should I upgrade? (I want to build a whole new PC, but I'm basically broke...)

Re: Could my PC run FFXI at a constant 30 fps?

It won't run at a constant 30 FPS, no. I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately.

Comment

I doubt it would happen on any computer. Things like Dynamis and other large group functions are always going to have funky behavior.

The better question is if your PC can play FFXI well, and yes, that computer should work just fine.

Comment

Right now I am soloing some mobs with max settings and my fraps are at 29.3 constant. When I get into town it drops down between 24-27 depending on # of peeps and actions they are doing.

I think you should be fine. Just keep an eye on your settings. Dont try to go overboard cause it may do more harm then good.

This game could run better if they wanted to. Console limitations hinders anything happening on the Pc end.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Keep in mind some cards don't always behave well when the background resolution isn't the same power of two in both dimensions (e.g. 1024x1024, 2048x2048). I've had some occasional but glaring rendering glitches under 1536x1536 on a 7600GT, the worst of which was a red mage's shield having one of its points being far enough out in front of said red mage that it looked like some weird sort of GSword. (1536x1536 worked excellently, OTOH, on a Radeon 8500)

But the simple answer is no. No one ever has constant 30 FPS throughout the whole game. It's only a question of how often you stay near this point. For my part I have an Athlon X2 6000+ with a 7600GT, and on 1440x900 and 1536x1536 even under weather effects I still get good FPS with the game restricted to CPU0 (there's a sound bug that occurs if it can run on CPU1) in most places. 2048x2048 makes it sluggish though. Lately I've been windowing at 960x600 and 1024x1024 and that's good enough for casual play. Chances are you'll want to adjust your settings to fit your circumstances anyway, especially when going between windowed and non-windowed play (and fullscreen is still much better quality and a much better experience; if they'd just enable tabbing away in fullscreen (autominimize) I might not even bother going windowed).
          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
          Clothcraft 24
          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

It will work just fine.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
              It will work just fine.
              Til they max their settings then go camp in D.A.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Why would you camp in DA with max settings? I adjust my setting all the times depending on what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                  Why would you camp in DA with max settings? I adjust my setting all the times depending on what I'm doing.
                  Better question is why should you have to fart around with your settings for every little thing you do..

Comment

Because you're not willing to sacrifice performance during LS events for a pretty picture?

Comment

Point is you shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other. Maybe some people need to depending on their rig and its age. But I don't see why I have to. Sad I can run other games in max settings and not have much of an issue. But having shadows on high in Dyn causes huge lag issues.

Comment

That's all well and good, but I thought we were talking about the reality of the game, not the way it should be. I can run the game at max settings in my normal playing, and it's gorgeous. But I lower the settings for Dynamis and other events because the constraints of the game require me to do so if I want to be able to do my job.

Comment

Reality is S.E wont upgrade anything because of the PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
                            Point is you shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other.
                            It'd be nice, but unfortunately you can either put a lot of graphics power into making something look nice, or you can put that power into making something go fast. There isn't really much of an alternative.

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
                            Reality is S.E wont upgrade anything because of the PS2.
                            No, the reality is that SE refuses to upgrade FFXI's technical abilities because they don't want to spend the money.

Comment

Even my oc'ed quad core q6600 and a bfg 8800 gts 512 oc can't do 30 fps in DA with my usual settings, 22 is what I get. I don't think that I should have to ever change my settings just for an event. That is a little overkill don't you think?

Otomo No Yakamochi :
                              Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Comment

Working...
                              X