Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off this isnt really related to FFXI as such but is preventing me from playing and seens as theres alot of ppl here who know much more about pcs than me its worth asking.

I got FFXI today so I rush to install the broadband speedtouch USB modem on my PC (this is my mums) and to my extreme delight the mother f**ker wont instal the modem. It gets to the stage where I connect it to the PC and says wait 20-30 seconds for next screen. The light on the modem is blinking red like its suppose to which means "Software installing" according to the guide. 30 minutes later nothing has happened. I thought maybe its because I had this software for another modem the exact same for a different ISP and I installed it incorrectly that time and it wouldn't uninstal, kept giving me some stupid error. I have (I think) reformated my hard drive since then so it has been removed but when I go to the Add/Remove programs bit and uninstal the speedtouch settings is says it has done it and its finished then it doesnt remove itself from the list, its still there and I can uninstal it millions of times without anything happening. Is there a way to delete this sh*t off my HDD using the registry edit?

On top of that my DVD Rom drive seems to have decided its a good time to give the hell up on life and is now not reading any CD's, DVD's or DVD Rom's. Now I don't find that incredibly funny but I can live without that because altho the games now on DVD Rom I already have all the stuff installed from previous versions I have on CD's. But this lovely PC my mum has is such an incredibly pimped piece of crap that it doesn't even have a DVD drive so thanks to the new DVD Rom Vanaf**kingdiel Collection I can't install it on this PC and low and behold I've left my other version at my flat 100miles away so no way to play on this PC either. Graaaaaaaahhhhh. So back to my question about the DVD Rom drive, is there anyway I could have f**ked my DVD drive from whacking in other HDD with no computer knowledge as such, randomly fireing wires in here and there and removing those little pin things on the HDD's and moving them about? I also noticed theres some big fat flat grey wire thats attached to my CD Rom, DVD Rom and the 2 HDD's. I've removed the other HDD now anyway seens as it was my mates and I had copys of windows on both and the PC wasnt happy about it. So is my laser just bust on the DVD Rom or is there anything I could have done to it?

Sorry this isnt really FFXI related but I'm not part of PC forums or nothing and I'm really annoyed I can't play
    75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
    Woodworking 91.9+2
    ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Re: ...

Saw my name and had to respond!

Wow. Yeah, generally you don't want to go adding drives at random. IDE drives are divided in specific ways. There's the primary channel and the secondary channel, and each channel can have one master and one slave drive. The master is the drive at the end of the flat gray cable, the slave is the one in the middle. Those little jumpers you moved around have to be set correctly in addition to having the drives in the right cable position.

For most drive/motherboard combinations, it's a good idea to either set all the jumpers to "Cable Select," which lets the position on the cable (end or middle) determine slave/master, or you have to explicitly set all the jumpers to the right position. You want your boot hard drive to be the Primary Master (because it just makes life easier). Someone else will probably come in with some thoughts on what the best possible combination is for the other drives' positions, but that's the big one.

As for uninstalling the modem software, there is a piece of software called TweakUI that you can get that will let you remove it from your installed programs list. TweakUI is different for different versions of Windows, so I can't link to your specific version without knowing what you're running. It's not too hard to find with google and such anyway. This is actually kind of common with a lot of software, where the uninstall craps out somehow, and then Windows can't find the uninstall information, so it can't remove it from that list. TweakUI just forces it through.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

I think my jumper is set at the far left if the HDD is up the correct way and the is connected to the middle part of the cable, should I move is back to the end of the cable?

Ill try that TweakUI as well ty! Need to dl it on this PC and put on cd tho lol. Ill report back shortly.

Double Post Edited:
      Hmm, got TweakUI but I can't find anyway to remove things from the Add/Remove list with it
      Last edited by Aeolus; 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Woodworking 91.9+2

Comment

Jumper position isn't standardized. Each hard drive is different in that regard, so I have no way of knowing where the jumper should be on yours. There's usually a diagram on the hard drive itself that tells what each jumper position means. Usually abbreviated like so:

CS - cable select
        MA - master
        SL - slave

Some hard drives also have a separate position for being the only drive on a channel. If you only have one drive on a cable, it should be at the end and not the middle.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

I have some personal experience with a speedtouch, but it was a few years ago...

/think

If I remember correctly, the idiots with the ISP (Bellsouth) couldn't provide me with drivers that would work. I was able to find working drivers on the internet though. This was quite a while ago though, so I couldn't tell you the site where I found them. I would just do a Google search for "speedtouch drivers <insert OS here>". Good luck, that modem was a real pain.

Comment

Here's a little page on the uninstall bit of TweakUI with a screen shot of what you're looking for.
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            . . .

Comment

Oh my god I freaking love you both On my PC now and starting the update FFXI process.
              Woodworking 91.9+2

Comment

Congratulations!
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                . . .

Comment

{/cheer} Glad I could help. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X