Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting it to work for PS2

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting it to work for PS2

    I had this game for PS2 sitting around in my room for a year or so. Unplayable due to the lack of proper equipment.

    Today however I managed to find a 25 ft. phone cord and I figured I could hook that up to the back of my cable modem and the other end to my network adaptor. A friend told me that it should work. Which in truth didn't.

    I put in the information it wanted albit I got confused as to what connection type to chose from. And I got as far as step 2. Something about checking the certificate. But an error came up saying check network settings, ethernet cable and internet connection.

    For network settings I selected automaticly find IP address. And that was all it asked other then username. So it might be that it didn't find the IP.

    I checked the phone cord to see if it was properly inserted and it was. So it probably means I need an ethernet cable then.

    But I don't know if the phone cord should work or not.

  • #2
    Re: Getting it to work for PS2

    While I'm not personally familiar with your equipment, I'm on the PS2 myself, and have been since the HDD came out. The majority of the cable modems that I'm familiar with work over ethernet connections, and you ought to be able to grab a fairly cheap ethernet cable from Best Buy or Target or wherever. Or 'borrow' one from a friend...


    I suppose, as an alternative, you could use the network adaptor itself as a regular dial-up modem (using a regular phone cable), but I wouldn't reccommend that. And I sure don't know much about that set-up process.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Getting it to work for PS2

      Originally posted by Theria
      While I'm not personally familiar with your equipment, I'm on the PS2 myself, and have been since the HDD came out. The majority of the cable modems that I'm familiar with work over ethernet connections, and you ought to be able to grab a fairly cheap ethernet cable from Best Buy or Target or wherever. Or 'borrow' one from a friend...


      I suppose, as an alternative, you could use the network adaptor itself as a regular dial-up modem (using a regular phone cable), but I wouldn't reccommend that. And I sure don't know much about that set-up process.
      I tried that too...it didn't work. Hell as far as settings go I had no clue what to put it so I looked on Nintendo DS and checked my wi-fi settings and copied the info from there and put it in the info thingy for the network settings.

      It didn't work.

      /sad panda

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Getting it to work for PS2

        I play on ps2 as well (glad to see more of us are out there!), I'm not very techy but I have some questions that may help find the answer to your problem.


        1- Are you trying to connect via dial up or cable internet?
        2- Are you using a router?
        3- If you are using a router, are the cables all connected properly?


        There may be more questions, but, as I said, I'm not very techy . I've had to use a router from day 1, must keep the use of the compy, laptop, ps2 and Xbox (yes, busy house lol).
        DRG 75 / SMN 75

        Cooking: 93.7

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Getting it to work for PS2

          1. I have cable internet but no ethernet cord.
          2. Have a router but it doesn't have a phone jack type thingy...probably because I need an ethernet cord.
          3. *points to one*

          I was hoping to get my PS2 wireless so I don't have to run tons of wires all over the house. The cable modem is in my parents room and my room is upstairs. =\

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Getting it to work for PS2

            Really need more info about your network to do anything to help. You mention WiFi yet talk about getting a phone cord. A phone cord and a Cat 5 Ethernet cable may have similar apperances but they differ greatly.

            For a cable network you will need a Cat 5 Ethernet cable not a phone cord. Phone cord suggests you attempted a dial-up connection, yet it sounds like your network is cable so ofcourse that would fail. Then it also sounds (and dear god I hope I'm wrong) that you attempted to use a phone connection for a network connection. If that is the case I can only imagine the damage you caused to the connection if you forced in an RJ-12 jack into an RJ-45 socket. >.<

            First make clear what method you are trying to do to get your PS2 on the internet:

            Dial-up
            Cable (Wired)
            Cable (Wireless)

            Then make clear if you can how your network is structured. This will give hint on how your network accesses the Internet, for example if a computer is hooked up to a phone jack and then goes out to a router and from there everything connects, or coaxial cable connects to a device (modem), and device connects to router, or coaxial cable connects to a device (modem), and device connects to computer.

            Got to know the setup to know what kind of mess the network is to help give instructions how you can add to it.

            EDIT:

            Ack, to slow to type this


            Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Getting it to work for PS2

              Originally posted by Macht
              Really need more info about your network to do anything to help. You mention WiFi yet talk about getting a phone cord. A phone cord and a Cat 5 Ethernet cable may have similar apperances but they differ greatly.

              For a cable network you will need a Cat 5 Ethernet cable not a phone cord. Phone cord suggests you attempted a dial-up connection, yet it sounds like your network is cable so ofcourse that would fail. Then it also sounds (and dear god I hope I'm wrong) that you attempted to use a phone connection for a network connection. If that is the case I can only imagine the damage you caused to the connection if you forced in an RJ-12 jack into an RJ-45 socket. >.<

              First make clear what method you are trying to do to get your PS2 on the internet:

              Dial-up
              Cable (Wired)
              Cable (Wireless)

              Then make clear if you can how your network is structured. This will give hint on how your network accesses the Internet, for example if a computer is hooked up to a phone jack and then goes out to a router and from there everything connects, or coaxial cable connects to a device (modem), and device connects to router, or coaxial cable connects to a device (modem), and device connects to computer.

              Got to know the setup to know what kind of mess the network is to help give instructions how you can add to it.

              EDIT:

              Ack, to slow to type this
              Lol. No I didn't do that...well I think I didn't. Anyway on the back of my cable modem is Line 1 and Line 2. Line one is connected to my house phone, while the modem is connected via cable to my PC. Line 2 looks like a phone jack thingy. Like I can stick another phone cord there and have a second line. I plugged the cord in there and the other end plugged it into the back of the network adaptor.

              I assumed that it could work that way. Since its hardlined into the modem.

              As for my wireing set up...Lets see if I remember how the cable guy hooked everything up.

              Cable jack on the wall is connected to my modem. While another cable wire (those thick ones used to hook tv up to cable) is plugged into the back of my computer. I have a wireless router connected to the cable modem which just sits on top of my tower. That's pretty much how everything is set up. I tried calling my internet provider and they told me that I quote "We have no knowledge of what you are trying to do. And our company does not provide our services to be used like that." -_-;; Snobby bastard. Anyway I couldn't get any help from them, they basicly told me to play the game on the computer like normal people do. *rolls eyes*

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                Cable internet doesn't use a phone line. It sounds like you have DSL.

                RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
                Image by Askannyi
                LoneGamer.net

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                  Alright if you want your PS2 to work wireless you'll need a few things. Sounds like you probably won't be able to do though. For wireless you'll need:

                  Wireless Game Adapter (I suggest Linksys brand, I'm Cisco Certified so of course I'd support a branch of Cisco )
                  Catagory 5 Ethernet Cable (you'll notice it seems like a phone cord but it differs in that it has 8 wires vs. 4 wires when you look at the jack)

                  Once you got that then what you'll need to know about your network is:

                  WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocal) = Is it on? If so what is the security encryption (64 bit, 128 bit?) and what is one of it's encryption keys and which key number is it? (Cisco routers provide up to 5 unique encryption keys)

                  Static Network or Dynamic Network = If your network is Static that means it has no DHCP service active and every has to know what IP it is itself. If a device can get an IP automatically then it's a Dynamic Network.

                  Once you got that then it's just putting the pieces together and configuring the game adapter. When the game adapter mentions a WEP just give it the key number and encryption code (64 bit is a set of 16 characters, 128 is a set of 32 characters). In case you don't know characters are like "A1 BC D3 F4 33 48 2A 1D" this is an example of a 64 bit encryption code.

                  EDIT:

                  Ack, posting to fast.


                  Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                    Originally posted by Macht
                    Alright if you want your PS2 to work wireless you'll need a few things. Sounds like you probably won't be able to do though. For wireless you'll need:

                    Wireless Game Adapter (I suggest Linksys brand, I'm Cisco Certified so of course I'd support a branch of Cisco )
                    Catagory 5 Ethernet Cable (you'll notice it seems like a phone cord but it differs in that it has 8 wires vs. 4 wires when you look at the jack)

                    Once you got that then what you'll need to know about your network is:

                    WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocal) = Is it on? If so what is the security encryption (64 bit, 128 bit?) and what is one of it's encryption keys and which key number is it? (Cisco routers provide up to 5 unique encryption keys)

                    Static Network or Dynamic Network = If your network is Static that means it has no DHCP service active and every has to know what IP it is itself. If a device can get an IP automatically then it's a Dynamic Network.

                    Once you got that then it's just putting the pieces together and configuring the game adapter. When the game adapter mentions a WEP just give it the key number and encryption code (64 bit is a set of 16 characters, 128 is a set of 32 characters). In case you don't know characters are like "A1 BC D3 F4 33 48 2A 1D" this is an example of a 64 bit encryption code.

                    EDIT:

                    Ack, posting to fast.
                    Let's see. Its WEP capable. I believe that its 16 bit. But the actual code I used was 10 numbers. (phone number) It's a Dynamic Network I think. Not really sure about it since last time I messed around with the internet connections I kinda shut everything down for a couple of hours and had to call tech support. u.u;;

                    Edit: I ordered a ethernet cable online it was a catagory 5 since it was the only one I can find. And once I get that I hook that up to the router?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                      1) an ethernet jack, although it may look like one, is not compatible with phone wires. do not use a phone cord, use an ethernet cable.

                      2) sounds like your cable modem uses cable for download and phone for upload (a crappy solution, but it works... lemme guess RCN). though i'm a bit perplexed as to why co-ax is plugged in from the modem to your computer

                      what is the make and model of the cable modem? who is your provider of internet service? we can start from there to find out just what it is you have set up.

                      Thanks Yyg!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                        I have Time Warner Digital Cable, internet and phone. The cable modem is Webstar made by Scientific Atlanta.

                        Which trust me isn't as fun as it sounds. If one goes down they all go down. -_-*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                          Originally posted by Aries Black
                          Let's see. Its WEP capable. I believe that its 16 bit. But the actual code I used was 10 numbers. (phone number) It's a Dynamic Network I think. Not really sure about it since last time I messed around with the internet connections I kinda shut everything down for a couple of hours and had to call tech support. u.u;;

                          Edit: I ordered a ethernet cable online it was a catagory 5 since it was the only one I can find. And once I get that I hook that up to the router?
                          Lol, no no. The phone number one that looks like (24.209.155.125) is an IP address not the WEP encryption code. If you other device needed this number and it was it's IP address then your network may be a Static Network, if that is the case you'll need to find an open IP (one that another device on the system isn't using).

                          For that if you have a small network then you should be able to just add 1 number to the LAST set of numbers and hopefully it will be unique. Otherwise you can not have the device with that IP and the PS2 on the network at the same time, they will conflict with eachother. Make sure it's the last set of numbers only because the other numbers are your domain address if they change your system won't know were the heck it is.

                          EDIT:

                          Yeah, Time Warner is a wierd one. Last I remember they had code restrictions to how many devices you can have on the network. They use to have like a 'service fee' for each addition device you add to it. Their network is a Static IP last time I used them.

                          Put it simple if you don't know what an IP, ethernet cable, WEP, etc... are then I would not suggest this as a do-it-yourself with Time Warner. You're asking for a lot of trouble with it
                          Last edited by Macht; 05-08-2006, 12:14 PM.


                          Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                            Originally posted by Macht
                            Lol, no no. The phone number one that looks like (24.209.155.125) is an IP address not the WEP encryption code. If you other device needed this number and it was it's IP address then your network may be a Static Network, if that is the case you'll need to find an open IP (one that another device on the system isn't using).

                            For that if you have a small network then you should be able to just add 1 number to the LAST set of numbers and hopefully it will be unique. Otherwise you can not have the device with that IP and the PS2 on the network at the same time, they will conflict with eachother. Make sure it's the last set of numbers only because the other numbers are your domain address if they change your system won't know were the heck it is.
                            Gah I'm soo confused. Ok when I was hooking up the wireless network. I called the company that I got the router from. It is WEP and he told me to put in my phone number with area code and that will be the password type thingy.

                            I might as well just play this game on the computer. X.x

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Getting it to work for PS2

                              Originally posted by Aries Black
                              Gah I'm soo confused. Ok when I was hooking up the wireless network. I called the company that I got the router from. It is WEP and he told me to put in my phone number with area code and that will be the password type thingy.

                              I might as well just play this game on the computer. X.x
                              Oh my god, sounds like they are expecting all WEP devices to use the smartcodes. That's horrible, because not all of them use that they need the encryption breakdown of it.

                              Put it simply if you can't tell the difference of which is an IP, or a WEP. Especially with Time Warner I wouldn't suggest a do-it-yourself job there. Time Warner's configuration is NOT very user friendly it's a headache for even a Network Professional to do.

                              EDIT:

                              Crap need to find my pain medicine now, just thinking of Time Warner is giving me a headache... >.<
                              /me starts searching for his 'wonder' pills.


                              Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X