Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Nerfing the fishbotters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nerfing the fishbotters

Originally posted by Nakti View Post
    "!" gives me items like Rings, Rusty Buckets, and Rusty Subligar (eww glad that quest is done) in addition to little fish. Big fish like Grimmonites and Gigant Squid (which don't stack) give "!!!". In general, non-stacking fish will give "!!!" but this isn't always the case.

Good luck on your Lu Shang's! I really love mine and I'm working on getting my husband's character one, too.

-_- That explains a lot of things I've noticed... /sigh Can they also cheat and instantly deplete the stamina? It seems like they catch their fish far too

quickly.
    I'm so hoping this emergency maintenance is to mass slaughter the fish botters.
    This is true. No one that i've met can catch a moat carp to a legendary fish in 1.3 seconds. Just for SNGs i timed it once with my stopwatch on my cell phone. Usually pulled up in 1.5 -2.3 seconds. Honestly i could never pull that off...only a bot could.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Those bots and the NM campers are the kinda stuff that makes me want to quit MMOGs and just go back to single player/non-MMOG online stuff.

At least inflation it isn't as bad as it used to be... I guess... gotta look at the bright side.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Nakti View Post
        The fishbots are very depressing. Since the last round of bans, the number of new bots has doubled or even tripled in areas!
        I did a /sea in Batallia and OMG. I was wondering why an RMT was synthing War Picks in the M&P in Upper Jeuno. Apparently this is one of their new moneymakers.
        I don't know what can be done to "nerf" the botters without greatly hurting the legit anglers and crafters. I like being able to tell the fish from the mobs based on rod pull and stamina reduction (although I'm still having trouble telling Gigant Squid vs Mob, it's easy to see Grimmonite vs Mob).
        I hate to say it, but I think SE needs to "adjust" the NPC buy-back prices on items that can be synthed from fished up items. Or maybe increase the required fishing skill for fishing up certain items.
        They're doing the same thing on Lakshmi. Probably the excess sole they fish up is being NPCed too. It's only 700g per fish that way, but that's still 250k+ of fresh gil being dumped into the economy for every full inv of sole. They seem to have two runners that go back and forth between the bots and M&P, picking up the rusties out of their inventory and selling the war picks to the vendor. I wonder if that process is automated too or if they manually trade the war picks from the bot to the runner. I might go out and trade one of them at random to see if they'll dump their picks on me ...

As a play mechanic I like the new fishing system too. Developing the intuition to tell one fish or item from another makes learning new fishing spots that much more interesting, as does fighting down the fish, even though I suck at it. But if a bot can perfectly read a fish's profile out of memory and then respond to the rod motion with perfect reflexes, then as far as game balance and exploitability are concerned the new system is even worse than the old one.

Edit: Yay fix! (http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/new...e-feb-2-a.html) Not a fix to the underlying flaws of the fishing system, but at least it addresses current RMT behavior directly.
        Last edited by Taskmage; 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

As long as fishing is done client side, reading/editing memory will always be easy.

Making it back to server side may fix it, but the current fighting fish system will have to go away pretty much.

There are already complex bots out there like PLing bots, skill up bots, even a leveling up bots that join and follow PTs. Fishing just sounds like the simplest compare to those.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

fish bots read the fish/fished item's ID from the memory and cancel/continue fishing depending on the fish not on the "!!!" marks.
            As a play mechanic I like the new fishing system too. Developing the intuition to tell one fish or item from another makes learning new fishing spots that much more interesting, as does fighting down the fish, even though I suck at it. But if a bot can perfectly read a fish's profile out of memory and then respond to the rod motion with perfect reflexes, then as far as game balance and exploitability are concerned the new system is even worse than the old one.
            they read the rod's position from the memory too.
            maybe some fish have to share the same ID with monsters, that way they've to stop fishing or encounter mobs from time to time.

Dragoon
            75 | Beastmaster75 | Thief69

Comment

The problem is that SE refuses to completely revovate the fishing system and the fishbots have far exceeded SE's system. Hell, I HAVE a fishbot on my computer(no, I don't use it) but I will tell you how the current fishbots work:

With both the new and old fishing systems, each fish was assaigned a "value" in terms of difficulty to catch. Very few share the same value, and those that do often can't be cught in the exact same area. While it may be impossible for a human to tell the diffrence between a fish with a value of 2400 and 2500, the bots can. This allows the bot to pinpoint exactly one(or more) fish and reel in only that fish. Anything else that catches the line, be it monster, item, or another fish that the bot isn't set to catch(even if the message you get is the exact same as the target fish), will be instantly released.

The bots also don't fight the fish like legit fishers do. Fishbots can instantly deplete a fish's stanima bar and thus, as mentioned earlier in the thread, catch the fish instantly. Their is also a latency option you can set for the bot, i.e. if you set the latency to 4-6 seconds, the fish will be reeled in 4-6 seconds, no questions asked.

Their are also mic. options that can engage a monster and fight them if one is reeled in, for say Coral Fragment purposes, a detector that can reply to a /tell or crash the game/bot or sound an alarm so you can go and manage your bot when someone talks to you.

Oh and lets not forget the classic auto-invintory sort and auto-fishing rod & bait equipper. Where would bots be without that?
              As you can see, no tweaks to the fishing system can sop the bots now. SE either needs to completely dicth the old system and add a new one or target the botters directly.
              Originally posted by Ellipses
              Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
              Originally posted by MCLV
              A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
              More Sig:

Comment

Version update removed rusty caps and greatswords from Synthesis today. So for now, RMT can catch all of those they want, they're useless.

Comment

they removed mythril swords from batallia downs, and coral fragments from onzozo.

what they still haven't dealt with is the Love---- bots in Windurst Waters, my video of them (if it doesn't work, its because it is still processing and will be ready in a short time)

[youtube]3TMeqY_fCEo[/youtube]
                  Last edited by Ayrlie; 02-05-2007, 06:02 AM.
                  Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                  Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

How do you find time to actually play the game with all this bot tracking?

Comment

And I really wish you dropped that kind of music from your videos (it hurts >.< ), but then again I just turn the sound off.
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

And honestly, if you've seen one video of RMT, you've seen 'em all.

Comment

Working...
                        X