Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Will SE change how Chakra and Martial Arts work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SE change how Chakra and Martial Arts work?

This will be in two posts I think, so another reason to make monk a subjob would be tied into the idea of making your Passive Trait meritable abilities remain in effect when that job is subbed.

The goal here is to make Monk a little more subjob friendly.

Could SE change how Martial Arts and Chakra work to make Monk a more party friendly subjob? As it stands,

Just so people know, with a monk subjob for a lvl 75 character, you could get up to Martial Arts III, Subtle Blow II, and Max HP boost II

Could Martial Arts affect all weapons and not just fists? Generally Martial Arts falls under anything dealing with weaponry, so it doesn't seem right that it only applies to H2H. The first Martial Arts trait takes off 80 delay, all others afterwards take off 20 delay. So Martial Arts III takes off 120 delay from your weapon, making a weapon with 480 delay swing for 360 delay. Now, this reduces delay, so you will get lower TP returns from it to my understanding, but I think that is a fair tradeoff.

Next thought, make Chakra AoE. It restores a modest amount of health every 10 minutes, I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask for it to be AoE especially given that in every other FF game the ability has been AoE. It is not a major reason to choise monk as a subjob, however if Martial Arts affected all weapons, with a monk subjob you'd get:

Auto Haste, +acc ability, AoE healing ability

Those would be the main features of using monk as a subjob, the kind of side bonus features would be Boost and Dodge. These can be used very nicely as a hate gaining tool for tanks, and for emergencies. I think that with those changes monk could be a very good subjob for both tanks and melee alike.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Will SE change how Chakra and Martial Arts work?

Why?

They were given Martial Arts because the delay of Hand to Hand is very high. This doesn't even make sense to me. It's pretty much Dual Wield.

Maybe give a separate base haste to a job like DRG(which actually needs a fix, unlike MNK), which is tied to haste, but gives no haste?

/MNK will never be used as a subjob for tanks because it doesn't give shadows like /NIN, doesn't negate physical damage as well as BLU or RDM, and doesn't generate more hate than /DRK(or /WAR)... this is after your changes.

Most importantly: MNK is one of the strongest jobs in the game, they do not need adjustments. If there is any adjustment required for MNK, it would be a reason to use other weapons aside from Destroyers at level 75.

In addition: This is a suggestion changed to look like a question.
    Read my blog.
    ffxibrp.livejournal.com
    Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
    Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask for it to be AoE especially given that in every other FF game the ability has been AoE.
      No it wasn't.

FFV and FFT were both self-target. I don't recall how it was done in FFIV.

What would be cool actually, would be to change Martial Arts into a passive haste trait. Then it would even enhance spell timers, making for some interesting combos and it would still make perfect sense. The Martial Arts ability could just be seen as a a form of training/meditation to speed up one's movements (thus the haste).

EDIT: I'm amazed that neither Monk or Ninja have passive evasion up traits. How THF got all of them is beyond me since all 3 jobs have good reason to have that job trait (and no, dodge doesn't count)
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
        Next thought, make Chakra AoE. It restores a modest amount of health every 10 minutes, I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask for it to be AoE especially given that in every other FF game the ability has been AoE. It is not a major reason to choise monk as a subjob, however if Martial Arts affected all weapons, with a monk subjob you'd get:
        Don't forget, there's a merit-able ability for Monks that already has an effect concerning HP. Mantra, increases the maximum HP of party members. This doesn't have that much to do with Chakra though, and I understand your point. I'm quite it's not AoE for a good reason though.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          FFV and FFT were both self-target. I don't recall how it was done in FFIV.
          In FFT it was AoE, and that could be where she's getting it from. I promise it's AoE, look it up if you must. :D

Thanks to Roguewolf for the sig. :D

Comment

Ack you're right sorry, been a while since I last played FFT.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Monks have a ton of abilities and traits.
              I do hate doing that Boost every few seconds.

Comment

Even if they did change Martial Arts, you can't make it a fixed Delay subtraction, otherwise say hello to super-broken THF/MNK Hornetneedle time.

Comment

That could be fixed if the Martial Arts trait only applied to two-handed weapons; after all MNKs have a decent staff skill rating. (^-^)b
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Well ok, maybe Chakra hasn't been AoE in all the FF games, I stand corrected on that.

And yeah, when I wrote this I didn't fully consider how one handed weapons would be affected by a straight up delay reduction, make the total amount be a percentage based reduction though and I think it could work.

I'd rather have the Martial Arts apply to all weapons though, right now we have ninja for one handers and samurai for two handers, having a job that could benefit both when used as a subjob would be nice.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

it'd break NIN/MNK :/
                      I'd rather get Polearm mastery,Scythe mastery or Great Axe mastery for DRG,DRK & WAR than having to rely on my sup.job to reduce my A+ weapon's delay.^^"

Dragoon
                      75 | Beastmaster75 | Thief69

Comment

Originally posted by seq View Post
                        it'd break NIN/MNK :/
                        I'd rather get Polearm mastery,Scythe mastery or Great Axe mastery for DRG,DRK & WAR than having to rely on my sup.job to reduce my A+ weapon's delay.^^"
                        My idea as well.

A general haste boost will just create more rampage-WAR that has negative intelligence... The current problem with weapon system is that even though 2handed weapons hit harder, the overall damage done by 1handed weapon is much better than that of a 2handed over the same time frame; therefore what OP suggested will only lead to 1-handed weapon being more overpowered.

Comment

Working...
                        X