Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brief interview about FFXI experience - help me with a school assignment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief interview about FFXI experience - help me with a school assignment!

Hello! I am a student at the University of California, San Diego, and I am taking a computer game studies course. We have an assignment to play an MMO and interview players about their experience, so if you have a second, please help me out!
    You can answer all the questions or as many as you'd like. If you played FFXI at one time but don't anymore, you can still answer!

-What is your name in the game?
    -How often do you play?
    -What about FFXI motivated you to play initially, and what keeps you playing?
    -Did you make friends in the game, play with friends from real life, friends you made elsewhere online, a combination?
    -What activities in the game do you and your linkshell (or other groups of players) do together? Is there anything that you feel is encouraged to be done alone?
    -How do you feel the world is managed? Is there any problem with the game you feel has not been acknowledged by the developers (speed of leveling, balance between players and enemies, ability to find people to play with, etc.)?
    -Are you treated differently by people based on the language they speak (or other cultural difference)?
    -Are you treated differently based on the level you are relative to another player?
    -Anything else particularly quirky about FFXI, or any specific memories you'd like to share?
    Bonus: If you play FFXIV: How do XI and XIV compare?

Thanks for your time. My name is Ahlmond on Leviathan. /wave if you see me!

Re: Brief interview about FFXI experience - help me with a school assignment!

Originally posted by alexpakzad View Post
    We have an assignment to play an MMO
    *sigh*
    What sort of idiot professor thinks you can get a handle on the MMO experience in a single semester?
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

The X-Play University of Uninformed and Paid Opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
        *sigh*
        What sort of idiot professor thinks you can get a handle on the MMO experience in a single semester?
        ...or not get addicted and simply flunk out of every other class?
        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Hello! I am a student at the University of California, San Diego, and I am taking a computer game studies course. We have an assignment to play an MMO and interview players about their experience, so if you have a second, please help me out!
          You can answer all the questions or as many as you'd like. If you played FFXI at one time but don't anymore, you can still answer!

-How often do you play?
          -Did you make friends in the game, play with friends from real life, friends you made elsewhere online, a combination?
          -What activities in the game do you and your linkshell (or other groups of players) do together? Is there anything that you feel is encouraged to be done alone?
          -How do you feel the world is managed? Is there any problem with the game you feel has not been acknowledged by the developers (speed of leveling, balance between players and enemies, ability to find people to play with, etc.)?
          -Are you treated differently by people based on the language they speak (or other cultural difference)?
          -Are you treated differently based on the level you are relative to another player?
          -Anything else particularly quirky about FFXI, or any specific memories you'd like to share?

I'm more interested as to what YOU think of the experience so far my new educated on a government standard friend.

Comment

-Dauntless

-About 3-4 hours every day

-The fact that it was a new final fantasy is what initially drew me in, and I continue playing because it's simply a fun game.

-I play with friends from real life and with various friends I made in game.
            -Not too far in the game so I do not do many events at the moment, but in the past we often did Sky, Sea, and helped LS members with various quests. Hunting coffers and things that can be done alone are encouraged to be done alone.

-I feel the world is managed fairly well, although with the new updates it is becoming increasingly difficult for lower level players to find groups in order to level up efficiently.

-While some players from other countries feel as though they are superior to others and only want to play with people from their own country, they are a rare kind and most foreign players are kind and can play with players from other countries with no problems.

-Yes, many people tend to give you extra assistance if you're of low level and/or rank. On the flipside, if you're of high level/rank you are often asked for help and advice.

-This game is addictive but I can't quite say for sure why. This is the type of game where people log on years after they stopped considering it "fun" day in and out due some sort of feeling of obligation. However, FFXI has one of the best communities you will find on any MMO and that is one of the main things that continue to bring people back.

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
              *sigh*
              One that teaches one of those useless classes.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I’m bored at work…so I’ll contribute.
                Romyro

-How often do you play?
                1-3 hours a night on week nights (late night when fam goes to bed). Sometimes on the weekend but not often.

RL Friends that originally played got me started around the NA release of the game.

Back in the day there was a BST named Neurotic that did some blogs about his accomplishments on Bst. He got me motivated in the job…and motivated to stay after RL friends left. Unfortunately I think he’s gone now…would have loved to pick at his brain. The new challenges for my Bst keep me motivated (NMs/Missions/ToMs/Items…etc).

I started with RL friends, but they soon moved on. I have made 2-3 close game friends but no idea who they really are other than what country they live in. I don’t think it’s safe to give out much personal info. Had they lived somewhat near me, I may have made an attempt to become RL friends though.

Bigger NMs and missions. We may be laid back when it comes to events, but we get stuff done. Lots of low man things so most activities involve teamwork. Theirs nothing specific that we do. Whatever event we can agree upon at the given time.

Easy tasks that are more tedious with a group should obviously be done alone. You don’t need a party to help you out with Cut scenes.

I’m quite satisfied with the world/game. Every game is going to have its problem areas. Oddly enough, I don’t think it would be as fun if it had everything I wanted. In the early/mid stages of the game’s life, my only issue was finding other people with similar goals. But now-a-days the game seems to be more accepting to solo/low manned groups which I welcome with open arms.

There are many jobs that are not as balanced as others. And I kind of like that. Anyone can be decent/good at the common jobs. The people I remember the most are the underdogs that turn ordinary into extraordinary

I won’t say it hasn’t happened, but honestly, it’s very rare for me. The auto-translate system may be missing a lot, but I’m still able to communicate in a respectful manner. I always try not to judge books by their covers (as I have been burned many times for that).

There are those who think a higher level/better gear/ higher mission rank mean they are better than you. But I’ve noticed a lot of these people are less skilled at their jobs. When you have bigger groups that can obtain better items, it leaves them with more flexibility for mistakes. And with so much flexibility…it’s more difficult to grow.

I have no problem being treated poorly by someone who is the best of the best and who are able to back-up their actions. What drives me nuts are the ones who idolize the best of the best but don’t understand the mechanics behind their actions.

Hitting 75 on my first job (level cap at the time). I remember it being a great day in my ffxi career and thinking, I will never get another job this high.
                …and how I have about 6 jobs at the cap ><

don’t play…not sure if my computer could handle it lol.
                99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                -Verth (90) Completed!!
                -Guttler (95) Completed!
                -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

-How often do you play?

- Yygdrasil
                  - 2-3 Hours/Day
                  - The words "Final and Fantasy" followed by the word "Online"
                  - I play with a combination of RL and IG friends... I'd say the ratio is 1RL/4IG
                  - I do a lot of EG stuff as well as a lot of farming for EG gear of my own. I tend to be a bit of a loner and only pick up groups when I need more than myself.
                  - There are a lot of imbalances in the game that are well known and really not worth listing... *coughabysseacough*
                  - It seems to me that some of the JP players deliberately refuse to accept me into their parties based on me being English speaking only. I might have a command of the Auto-Translate function... but during certain peak JP hours... it doesn't seem to matter. I'ts JP or GTFO.
                  - Level plays a big role in being accepted. I personally run a LS for new and returning players... so I'm one of the few who does not discriminate based on LVL... but there's definately hate for the newbs. It's a shame... we were all there once.
                  - I remember staying up for 18 hours straight when I finally found a group of people willing to help me get my Carbuncle Mitts. We died... re-started, died again... failed... forgot something... got lost and everything you can immagine before we finally got to the NM. I also remember being at 32HP when the NM finally died. I got my gloves... but it wasnt easy. Despite that... it was probably my favorite day in-game I've ever had. I met a lot of friends I still see all the time and have a much bigger appreciation for my gloves than I think I would have if I had obtained them more quickly or easily.
                  - FFXI > FFXIV

I hope that helps

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                  99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                  99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

-How often do you play?
                    * Neverslip

* 3-4 days/week, 3+ hrs/day.

* RL friend playing all the time and a dwindling interest in Achievement Whoring.

* Started playing with my RL buddy and he introduced me to a very social LS (guild) so I made friends quickly. Interest was sparked for endgame and made more IG friends. One IG friend is someone I could totally be friends with if they didn't live so far away.

* I've experienced the death of my original LS but was led by the above in game friend to another. Several of us from NoIdea have migrated over. This LS is casual but motivated. It's like a comvination of NoIdea (totally casual, no events) and my endgame LSs (also seemingly dead but more like slavers). We do a great deal of Abyssea. Limbus is low-manned. Storylines are being finished (WotG). They seem willing to assist anyone with anything as long as it doesn't conflict w/ something that was planned ahead of time.

* It is a mystery to know what is or is not acknowledged by the devs for FFxi. Everyone has their pet-projects they would like to be augmented based upon their interests. One man's strokes may be different for other folks. Personally, I'm fine with how the game is currently. The thing I'd like to be augmented is pop times for Notorious Monsters.

* This pretty much says what I would say
                    Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
                    It seems to me that some of the JP players deliberately refuse to accept me into their parties based on me being English speaking only. I might have a command of the Auto-Translate function... but during certain peak JP hours... it doesn't seem to matter. I'ts JP or GTFO.
                    I'd only say that I have not found the opposite to be true. But I'm usually in LSs with groups of people very accepting of others.

* New players have it very difficult now. FFxi is very top-heavy. It's not just the Lvl new players need to reach in order to be involved with older players... the quests and such that unlock different areas is also a daunting if not Herculean feat to overcome. I find there is also a blockade even if you've done all of this and then happen to have chosen a job (usually because you found it fun) that people basically discriminate against. Sometimes this is due to updates and new content making jobs that were useful in the past, no longer saught out or even welcomed.

* I remember my RL friend (who has since quit) prompting me over XBL headset to follow him and click on this and that for OPs and Crag Crystals; and making macros "Okay, put a lower case t in the UFOs now". That was for <t>. I would not have played this game had I not been assisted like that. The game has such a hold on it's players... you really have to delete your character if plan on never returning... even then I've seen the draw become too great and people have started from nothing again. Stockholm's syndrome... yeah.. FFxi is like an abusive kidnapper who shows you kindness every once in a while.

* FFxiv doesn't hold any interest for me. It looks pretty but I'm not interested in crafting. If I'm gonna make pottery and sh!t I'd rather do so in RL and actually have the skill.

Good luck on your assignment.
                    FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                    FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                    aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X