Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    BBQ, what the hell kind of reward is there to remove from the Black Dragon fight for the rank 2-3 mission? Your approach might work in principle, but I don't think it holds up very well in practice.
    I'm talking the rank rewards in that case, which would be the gil reward in this case for getting to rank 3.

    Also, it worked QUITE well for Ark Angels, did it not? Did you ever tackle it the easy way?

    I believe you could apply this principle to any game from its inception. All SE had to do was leave the old content as it was and add an option to take an easier way out Instead, SE just dumbed the whole thing down.

    If you want to see the concept masterfully implemented, go play Donkey Kong Country Returns. It does offer an easy way out, but its not the rewarding way. If you want the rewards and to see everything, you will play the game as it was meant to be played.

    Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
    So, what would it take to convince BBQ that spending vast resources (dev time) on revamping old content (which few people are expected to be using in the next 12-16 month) to add some relevant reward and "challenge mode" wouldn't make as much sense as to spend the precious dev time (and Dollar/Yen) on stuff a lot of players would be interested in, like new contents?
    And what new content would that be?

    More Abyssea-like ? You think players will accept anything less at this point?

    I want to care about nation missions, really, but I'm more concerned about how to convince people to help me out with those Iron Plates needed to work toward that nifty shield I wanted, when Iron Giants are stubbornly stingy with its seals since it's so freaking difficult to proc gr'yellow stagger on them. (i.e. People who are interested in seals rather fight anything but those. orz.)
    And why do you think people aren't interested in helping you?

    Perhaps because there's really nothing in it for them?

    Clearly, the solution isn't to make it rewarding for others, but to make it easier on you.

    When are you going to understand that FFXI's whole problem is how it rewards players? Its all so uneven and strange.

    Leave a comment:


  • Neverslip
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Dear SqeeeeeeNix,

    Atma of the Most Hated

    Enmity + Superior
    Enmity + Major
    Enmity decrease - Superior (not sure if I got that one down... it's the one where Enmity declines less)

    Thank you,

    NotAPLD

    Leave a comment:


  • Raydeus
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Next stop: +1000 enmity Atmas.

    Leave a comment:


  • Karinya
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    It's basically an empyrean shield -- it's SUPPOSED to take an insane amount of NM drops. And then an even more insane amount of NM drops. And then... you get the idea.

    I'd like some shields that DON'T take insane amounts of money and/or NM drops. I was really disappointed that they didn't give us any "normal" shield paths when they finally introduced shield trials -- it's empyrean or GTFO. (On the other hand, I have a -10% PDT sword, which helps even if my shield isn't any better at being a shield.)

    But the real problem with PLD right now (that I know of) is trying to get hate off DDs using RR and other hideously broken damage atmas, and some mobs with very nasty added effects that are completely negated if the tank has shadows. And the usual nukes for 2000 DEF-ignoring damage... or 1 shadow.

    Leave a comment:


  • Romyro
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    we're spamming it for Bst seals since Kroios (titan) is constantly camped when we try. like...constantly. I rarely see people fight this guy for anything other than Raja (or Rani, which ever is in that zone).

    ---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

    Works great since the Pot for the pop item drops Smn/Pup seals too ^^

    Leave a comment:


  • ItazuraNhomango
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Yeah, it's not that hard, but it doesn't do anyone a lot of good to fight those repeatedly, except for the person who wants the Iron Plates.

    I'd solo it if I could, but I'm just not good at soloing--and I'd also feel bad if I try to to call in favors for long sessions fighting Iron Giants solely for my own benefit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Romyro
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    I want to care about nation missions, really, but I'm more concerned about how to convince people to help me out with those Iron Plates needed to work toward that nifty shield I wanted, when Iron Giants are stubbornly stingy with its seals since it's so freaking difficult to proc gr'yellow stagger on them. (i.e. People who are interested in seals rather fight anything but those. orz.)
    Not to stray too far off topic but we fought the one in Aby-Gras yesterday about 5 times. 4 kills droped 1 plate, 1 kill dropped 2 plates. so at least 1 plate everytime. Not sure if 1 is 100% but those were our results. Guy is easy as hell too. went Bst, Smn and Blm (for procs..but he only proc'd one ><)

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Originally posted by Romyro View Post
    isnt that mission solo/duo able by many jobs already?
    Yes it is. I duoed it with a WAR/MNK while I was RDM/WHM.

    Originally posted by Romyro View Post
    I’m not sure what the other missions are, is it the ‘Arch Mage Assassin’ one? With the bones that keep coming?

    I’ve duo/trio’d that one before too with odd jobs.
    Yes, and it was more of an annoyance then a challenge, especially so with the Shadow Lord fight right after it being soloed by many jobs.

    Leave a comment:


  • ItazuraNhomango
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    So, what would it take to convince BBQ that spending vast resources (dev time) on revamping old content (which few people are expected to be using in the next 12-16 month) to add some relevant reward and "challenge mode" wouldn't make as much sense as to spend the precious dev time (and Dollar/Yen) on stuff a lot of players would be interested in, like new contents?

    Feels like beating on a brick wall here.

    * * *

    I want to care about nation missions, really, but I'm more concerned about how to convince people to help me out with those Iron Plates needed to work toward that nifty shield I wanted, when Iron Giants are stubbornly stingy with its seals since it's so freaking difficult to proc gr'yellow stagger on them. (i.e. People who are interested in seals rather fight anything but those. orz.)

    How about a mini-update for us downtrodden Paladin players, SE? I bet there are at least as many players interested in those Iron Plates as the old nation missions. Don't need to make Iron Giant less difficult or add 10 plates per kill, but just toss in more seals so others would have more reason to fight those? How about it?

    Leave a comment:


  • Romyro
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    BBQ, what the hell kind of reward is there to remove from the Black Dragon fight for the rank 2-3 mission?
    isnt that mission solo/duo able by many jobs already?

    ---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

    I’m not sure what the other missions are, is it the ‘Arch Mage Assassin’ one? With the bones that keep coming?

    I’ve duo/trio’d that one before too with odd jobs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cotners
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    I went out to level a couple low lvl jobs and try out the changes and I have to say... awesome! Much needed addition. It makes soloing much more bearable and partying much more enjoyable. Skillups are also crazy fast now. I approve!

    I have been playing this game for almost 7 years now and I have to say that I am having more fun right now than in a very long time. They aren't dumbing down the game, they made it fun again.
    Last edited by Cotners; 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • cidbahamut
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    BBQ, what the hell kind of reward is there to remove from the Black Dragon fight for the rank 2-3 mission? Your approach might work in principle, but I don't think it holds up very well in practice.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Originally posted by Aeni View Post
    That could be said of any other game but that's not usually a cut and dry case. I thought about returning and I think a couple of other people felt that same feeling. I'm sure it's turning heads (of those that pay attention to these things still)
    Yeah, if I was playing FFXIV, I might be starved for the good ol' days of FFXI, too.

    Originally posted by IfritnoItazura
    Sure, it'd be great if you can get both, but since when is making existing customer happy a bad idea?
    Dwindling population will continue to dwindle, yet they keep dumbing down the game to entice new or struggling players when they need to be streamlining.

    There is a difference in dumbing-down and streamlining. SE has chosen dumb. But even streamlining the missions doesn't mean you have to strip them completely of their variety and the edge they have. Keep the caps in place for those that want mission rewards and those that just want to steamroll the content and get zone access can still have that instead, just no mission rewards.

    Such an approach certainly worked for Ark Angels. You had the easy way and the organized, harder way. Harder way gave you a reward, easy way didn't.

    Doing the easy way ensures endgame access is easy to obtain and everyone wants endgame access. You'd get that. No one gets left behind - going the easy way could just mean you don't get CoP/ToA Rings, AN/RoZ earrings and gil rewards for missions.

    I just want the content to keep its dignity somehow. Pulling the caps and not keeping the option to do the missions the original way was been a frequent mistake with the game.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeni
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    There's nothing about these updates that make people want to come back if they've quit.
    That could be said of any other game but that's not usually a cut and dry case. I thought about returning and I think a couple of other people felt that same feeling. I'm sure it's turning heads (of those that pay attention to these things still)

    Leave a comment:


  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: The February Mini-Update Goes Live! (02/14/2011)

    Originally posted by Romyro View Post
    Looks like people’s races are being changed when they swap gear or zone into different areas.
    This has been attributed to the plug-in BlinkMeNot. I never used it myself, but I know a lot of people do use that plug-in and it has been known to cause some interesting issues in the past. Unloading it does fix the problem, though. So it's not an official bug. XD

    Originally posted by Armando View Post
    It would've been more win if you could perform multiple gear swaps in the same line, but it's better than nothing.
    This.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X