Developer Q&A: Abyssea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer Q&A: Abyssea

Developer Q&A: Abyssea - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

What is the colored light you obtain after defeating an enemy in Abyssea? Do the light colors have anything to do with the different colored chests that can appear when a monster is defeated?

There are seven varieties of light obtainable, each providing a unique benefit to the player. Their effects are as follows:
    Pearlescent: All sturdy pyxides will appear with greater frequency. Azure: Blue pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils. Ruby: Red pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils. Amber: Gold pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils. Golden: The adventurer will gain experience at an increased rate. Silvery: The adventurer will obtain cruor at an increased rate. Ebon: A small bonus will be granted to all colored light effects.
    Multiple colors can be obtained at once, and each color will grow in intensity the more you acquire, granting even greater benefits. Use them well and these prismatic boons just might be the key to your survival in the harsh environs of Abyssea!

What is the the Flask of Primeval Brew? 2,000,000 cruor is quite a lot for a single item! It would be nice to know what it does before buying it!

Adventurers who quaff a flask of primeval brew will find themselves possessed of transcendent powers for a span of three Earth minutes.
    While the deepest secrets of this beatific beverage are not for us to reveal, its benefits include a +999 boost to all attributes, Regen and Refresh that restore 300 points of HP/MP every three seconds, and other effects sure to bewilder even the most brutal Abyssean fiends.
    Aside from the questions we received this time, we'd like to take this opportunity to announce two system enhancements that will be coming to Abyssea in the next version update. We will be adding a way for players to check their cruor supply, as well as the amount of time before they can obtain another traverser stone.
    And of course, the upcoming Scars of Abyssea and Heroes of Abyssea promise to offer even tougher challenges and richer rewards—don't miss them!

I was sure that thing was for Empyreans... oh well. There was an icon found in the .dats for "Transcendent Power" and this explains it. Maybe you can kill AV with this lmao.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Developer Q&A: Abyssea

Don't just yet good sir!

It could be used to defeat a boss type Instanced, such as Bahlran for mythics, but for empyrean weapons /shrug. Not enough is known at this point lol but i'll say this:

Good show SE, Good show!

Seriously, cause I am just gonna love playing 11 and 14 for a year >< lmao

Comment

Re: Developer Q&amp;A: Abyssea

Yeah but can you imagine how long it'd take to obtain 2mil Cruor? That's an insane grind for a boss fight or a three minute Quake-mode buff.

Comment

Not that long, it's easily viable to pull 50-100k per day, if not more. We're still figuring out Abyssea , too.
        In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
        And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
        Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
        Yeah, It’s true.
        It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
          Not that long, it's easily viable to pull 50-100k per day, if not more. We're still figuring out Abyssea , too.
          Yeah, most sane people would class 20-40 days per 3 minute buff to be excessive. That's considering it would take at least six hours each day doing nothing else but Abyssea for 20-40 days consecutively to achieve that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
            Yeah, most sane people would class 20-40 days per 3 minute buff to be excessive. That's considering it would take at least six hours each day doing nothing else but Abyssea for 20-40 days consecutively to achieve that.
            Most other sane people would realize that that is actually reasonable considering that the buff at stake is pretty much god-mode-in-a-can. You'd be worse than Malacite to suggest that such an item should be accessible to the playerbase much more frequently than that.

Just be thankful that this crap has a use much more worth the price than your precious Empyrean weapons.
            Originally posted by Armando
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
              Most other sane people would realize that that is actually reasonable considering that the buff at stake is pretty much god-mode-in-a-can.
              Maybe if you shit in a sock and the entirety of your friend's list on Facebook consists of people you know from FFXI then sure. However, adopting a second job approach, read that as camping the same zone 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, for roughly 30 days, foregoing all other events or activities in the game (assuming most normal people wouldn't play for more than 3-4 hours a day and that's a big push) while finding 17 other people to do that with and continuing to do so even after you've maxed out merits and job experience to obtain a 3 minute buff, is generally not what a sane person would deem reasonable. If you actually view it as otherwise I'd suggest you might have problems but considering you've already admitted to not even being 75 let alone 80 yet and having zero experience in endgame I'll just file your opinions away under the musings of someone enjoying being Devil's advocate.

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
              Just be thankful that this crap has a use much more worth the price than your precious Empyrean weapons.
              Huh? You're a mind-reader now are you?

Comment

No-life rant
                You'll induce vomiting if you shove any more words in to my mouth. Where did I say that people should dedicate all of their FFXI time (and then some, from what you're saying) simply to grinding up to this item?

What the sky-high price tells me about this item is that people are obviously not intended to use it any more than once in a blue moon - that people are not supposed to spend all their time grinding up to it for a 3-minute god-mode effect, but rather consider it a nice, rare bonus option to consider if you've somehow managed to accrue two million cruor over several months. This is not an item to be taken for granted, and you should most certainly not expect to be able to simply grind up to it in pretty much any period of time. If you could, you would see people doing little else but grabbing this item and using it to tear through every challenge in their path. Or is that what you're insisting should happen, that everybody just be given this item every time they exit Abyssea and then call it a day?

Huh? You're a mind-reader now are you?
                Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                I was sure that thing was for Empyreans...
                Yes. Yes I am.
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

Let's not forget that for every 50k Cruor you're also gaining 200k+ EXP, I believe it's reasonable. Yes, it'll take a while, but what doesn't? +999 to every stat is godly, that 3 minute buff could allow you to solo high end HNMs. If it's +999 to Magic Attack Bonus, I can see a 99 (maybe 80?)BLM one shotting/soloing Kirin, JoL... who knows.

That'd make quite the screenshot, not to mention drops all to yourself (or your holder, if you brought one). I mean, Novio earring is 10M~, I'd say that's worth it.

I mean, maybe that's a stretch, but what else are you going to spend your Cruor on for the next few months?
                  In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                  And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                  Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                  Yeah, It’s true.
                  It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Knowing S-E, I fully expect the Nomad Moogle next to Maat telling me he's thirsty come September.

Comment

You all seem to be forgetting that the Flask of Primeval Brew is a temporary item. Therefore it cannot be taken out of the Abyssea zones.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                        You all seem to be forgetting that the Flask of Primeval Brew is a temporary item. Therefore it cannot be taken out of the Abyssea zones.
                        I was going to say, it sounds like they're specifically targeting this at Abyssea mobs.

Guys, when a person who has literally not touched the game since 2007 is understanding the update notes better than you, you really need to calm the fuck down.

Anyway, is it an absurd amount of effort to get? Yes. But the benefits of the item are equally absurd. YM wasn't off when he called this God-mode in a Can. You're going to be able to handle all but either the fastest mobs or the ones with the best OHKOs. And hell, with +999 to all stats, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that start to look laughably weak.

Presumably this is either for an insane boss or two with matching insane benefits; or it's something which is designed to be used to make some lesser boss easier to handle with a smaller group; or it's something which is designed to allow one person to gain all the spoils. I really doubt this is going to be an "lol, you all need this just to beat the mission series" item.

Comment

Shits & Giggles?
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X