Any Rpers Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Rpers Out There?

Since I'm new to posting here (I'm tired of the jerks on Alla who seem more interested in arguing and putting everyone else down) as a way of hello I thought I'd see if there was anyone else on this forum that also shared one of my game interests RPing.

Besides trying out different jobs on different races when not leveling either RDM or DRG on one of my two mains I am an active member of an RP Linkshell on the Asura server.

So anyone else enjoy this as a pass time?

Asura Server

Re: Any Rpers Out There?

I used to have an RPLS that was small but fairly active. Basically, we came into the game planning to RP, and that continued on until about a year ago, when one player who'd managed to make himself central to the other characters' lives lost interest in the RP. We don't really have enough interested people to try to start again (and some rather troubling "artistic differences" came up in prospects for planning another go as well). It was fun while it lasted, though.

FFXI was not a game that lent itself well to RPing back when the community was far more respectful and etiquette-driven; the game has certainly not improved in that regard. You really need dedicated people and a plan for how you're going to balance RP and gameplay needs. RPing through missions is especially challenging for a small group, as you'll invariably need to bring in non-RPer help, and many people lack even the courtesy to keep their derisive comments to themselves while you stuff a scene into a rest stop. Sometimes we've had to rely on pure post-production, doing all of our reaction and interaction on IRC after the mission is over.
    Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
    DRK99,DNC91,THF90
    Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
    Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
    WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
    Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
    All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
    Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
    Clothcraft 24
    Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
    BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Interesting to hear about how another group handled it. Our current LS is actually a reboot of many character we've had around awhile IG and been through 4-5 different LS's in that span. There's been conflict and people have left but we're excited with the fresh start.

Those of us that have started Sfant Umbra have been around and Rping for almost 3 1/2 years in game and sometimes messenger. We don't include missions in rp generally since its unrealistic that everyone has the exact same experience at different times and might exclude new one. If we do use an RP slant we usually create our own storyline. If we need to have other people involved we usually don't RP with them or RP on our Pearl.

Once I've passed the post limit I plan to post about us. We take a different approach relying heavily on in game lore now which has put an interesting spin on things.

Asura Server

Comment

In our case we did our best to work out a reasonable timeline for RP that included game story elements and incorporated some various gameplay norms to explain why so many things are relative constants (i.e. the M.H.M.U./role of moogles, job change, home points, the almost yearly rise and quiet dispatch by adventurers of the Shadow Lord). It was a fairly unique approach, but one I thought worked well to make the notion of living in a world like Vana'diel make sense. That's not to say our characters didn't have our own concerns and storylines that went in other directions not covered by 'official' story, but those were interwoven into the happenings of the world.

As a brief outline, the main viewpoint character's experienced adventurer mentor is the one who more or less went through our continuity's official version of the Windurst mission storyline and Rise of the Zilart; by the time we started RPing in the game the events of RotZ were nearly a year in the past, but not very well known at all. Kamiel and Koren went through some of the early Sandy missions in RP, and Kumei incorporated some of the Bastok missions into her background (e.g. having run errands for Cid and for Senator Alois); OTOH, the Verena/Fickie scene was simply another impression recorded upon the Magicite from the previous time the Shadow Lord had returned, and while Kamiel and Kumei teamed up with others to take out the Shadow Lord again, Koren obtained her current rank performing unrelated missions for her nation. Airship passes were obtained, lost, and obtained again from circumstances not fully related to the in-game missions (officially Archduke Kam'lanaut and his brother were already dead, though Jeuno is covering this fact up). RotZ was eventually played out via time travel, under complex circumstances (it helped somewhat that WotG was already out when we finally got to it). CoP is a bit trickier; some parts of it, including the discovery of unstable routes to Tavnazia and much of CoP 2-3, happened a year before our continuity started; some parts of it are concurrent to our own recurrence of the Shadow Lord, some parts are much more recent (post-our-RotZ visitation, e.g. we make nice in our own version of CoP 2-3 by forming a multinational diplomatic delegation to Tavnazia after Kumei uses her mysterious new powers to ...ahem, discovers a promising way to combine science and magic to stabilize the portal connecting Lufaise and Valkurm. ToAU we never really had a chance to quite work in mission-wise, though the call for mercenaries there spawned a huge number of non-game-story-related subplots. WotG we did the initial Missions/Quests from the original release but never managed to do much else with (aside from set up our excuse for the RotZ revisit).

Ultimately, I'd say managing a continuity is a fair bit of heavy lifting whether it ties into the game's story or not; tying it into the game story for us was mostly about getting the right sort of flavor for our efforts.
        Last edited by Lunaryn; 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM.
        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
        Clothcraft 24
        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Used to be The Lights Templar RPLS on Phoenix server...

only group I know these days is The Lost Boys on Levi....

Comment

Yeah Lost Boys I think is about the longest running RPLS on any server out there.

Asura lost a lot of rpers recently so my LS has been regrouping lol.

Asura Server

Comment

I've no idea if there are any rpers on Kujata left. I used to be able to count the number of rpers left on one hand but now I don't think any of them play the game anymore.
              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I hope there's still RP out there! You guys got me a little excited to wanna come back just seeing that the RPers that are out there seem quite dedicated to it. I'm in between MMOs at the moment and my video card just took a crap so its perfect opportunity to come back on my 360.

What server seems to be the best for RP over all? Any LS recruiting? My char is not super high level as i recall he was 20 BM/10RDM i think. Grinding got to me a bit but some RP would prly make me love the game a little more. I certainly enjoyed some parts of it a lot. Appreciate if anyone has some info for me.

Comment

I can't say much about other servers but my LS has been getting a lot of applications lately. Rpers are regrouping a bit after some have left. Your welcome to ask questions and chat with us on out site:

Sfant Umbra - A Mercenary Group RPLS on Asura

Asura Server

Comment

Originally posted by fairyoracle75 View Post
                    I can't say much about other servers but my LS has been getting a lot of applications lately. Rpers are regrouping a bit after some have left. Your welcome to ask questions and chat with us on out site:

Thanks I think i'll do that. I actually already registered at your site and read some of the info. Sadly my knowledge of the games lore is almost non existent but if you guys are willing to let me learn i'll likely be interested in applying.

Unfortunately i'm currently on Carbuncle so unless i want to pay for a transfer which i cant afford at the moment i'll be starting completely fresh. Is that a big deal for you guys?

Comment

No level is no problem at all and learning curve on lore is fine. I have a bunch of stuff up there already, and will add more once my rl gets a little less crazy.

Asura Server

Comment

Why is it whenever I see this thread I always read it as "Any rapers out there"?
                        Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                        90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                        70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                        52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
                          Why is it whenever I see this thread I always read it as "Any rapers out there"?

Subconscious desire? I'd talk it over with your therapist :-p

Comment

Subconscious desire to perform hip-hop music? Or to listen to hip-hop music?

or where you....OH! YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT....oh! Rapers..... I see what has occured here.....God bless the internet for confusing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deloka View Post
                              Subconscious desire? I'd talk it over with your therapist :-p

Anyone else think its weird what two words make up therapist?
                              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                              RANK 10 Bastok
                              CoP: Done
                              ZM: Done
                              ToA: Done
                              Assault rank: Captain
                              Campaign Medal: Medals
                              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X