/bell doesn't make any noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /bell doesn't make any noise

"Using the "/bell" command while equipped with either a "Dream Bell" or "Dream Bell+1" obtainable from the 2008 Starlight Celebration event will allow your character to flourish said bell to a jovial chime. To specify a note in an octave, simply add a space followed by a number from 1 and 8 to the text command. Synthesis variants of the abovementioned bell items will be introduced in the coming version update to accommodate adventurers who were either unable to acquire a dream bell, or had unwittingly discarded theirs."

Well, I don't own a Dream Bell but do own a Lady Bell, which I assumed was the craftable version. No sound is made but I get the emote. Why no sound? Is it just not added yet? Does it only work with Dream Bell?
    ---

Re: /bell doesn't make any noise

check the translator function for /bell there's a certain command to turn the feature on and off.

Comment

/bellsw on and /bellsw off are supposed to turn on and off the sounds of "others' bells" but you'd think you could still hear your own, and it'd be stupid for them to default it to off.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Stupid or not, it does default to off and it does turn your own bell sounds on and off too, not just others'.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

I was going to add "Just because something would be stupid doesn't mean SE wouldn't do it" but I didn't want to be too negative. Silly me.

New feature! Play bells that nobody can hear!

Comment

For what it's worth, the in-game help for /bellsw does say "Toggles on/off all bell sounds." I'd imagine the announcement was just poorly translated (shocking!). Although not mentioning that the default is off is pretty dumb.
            Last edited by Ellipses; 04-10-2009, 09:35 PM. Reason: Forgot the word "bell"
            Ellipses on Fenrir
            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
            . . .

Comment

I think defaulting it to off is actually a good idea, it helps save those who don't know what the hell /bell is from having to turn it off when they get spammed by retards.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                I think defaulting it to off is actually a good idea, it helps save those who don't know what the hell /bell is from having to turn it off when they get spammed by retards.
                I turned mine on to hear what it sounded like and forgot to turn it off. Then when we were gathering for Ein and there were also 2 other ls's gathering, one person started with the bell ringing followed by several others. I forgot what the command was and was asking ls and urgently searching for it online because it was DRIVING ME INSANE. For the love of god, leave it set to off and only turn it on occasionally if need be. I got a lovely migraine out of that experience.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                  I For the love of god, leave it set to off and only turn it on occasionally if need be. I got a lovely migraine out of that experience.
                  I must be the only person that plays on PC with my headphones plugged in but never in my ears. When I actually have them in my ears, I have the music turned off. So the bell probably wouldn't effect me either way since its turned off. I'm waiting for the Ocarina update.
                  {New Sig in the works}
                  -----------------------
                  "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                  "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                  Originally posted by Solymir
                  What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                    Muting bell sounds would have been one of the first things I did when I logged in after the update if I hadn't been distracted by the rdm changes. But by making this obscure feature opt-in instead of opt-out they've made it so that 99% of people will never hear the bells, thus making it completely pointless. Why add it in the first place if nobody will hear it?

Comment

It took me five minutes to figure out that they were automaticly turned off. I sat there hitting /bell and driving everyone around me nuts.
                      sigpic
                      75 MNK :: 65 Cooking :: Proud Member of FatChocobo Linkshell

"brb Kitchen on fire" -Goldenchild

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                        Muting bell sounds would have been one of the first things I did when I logged in after the update if I hadn't been distracted by the rdm changes. But by making this obscure feature opt-in instead of opt-out they've made it so that 99% of people will never hear the bells, thus making it completely pointless. Why add it in the first place if nobody will hear it?
                        Because those who want to hear the bells will know about it and be able to turn it on while those who don't know about the bells and don't want to hear it won't suddenly be flooded by a strange new annoying chime sound.

It's a feature that at large would really go unnoticed, yet has the potential to be really annoying. So making it that only those who want to hear this junk actually have to choose to hear it works best for the largest amount of people.
                        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Well I want to leave mine on mostly because I am waiting to walk by a chorus practicing lol. I personally would like to hear a rendition of Iron butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida with bells XD but I have that on my chart of stuff to block while partying or events along with filters.
                          Last edited by Sekighara; 04-15-2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I turned /bellsw on, listened to a LS pal play Happy Birthday with a event bell and then listened to another a friend play bells (without much rhythm) for a little while.

After that I turned /bellsw off.

-The End-

PS >

<Space reserved for Ocarina of Time references>
                            sigpic
                            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I have to agree with Taskmage.

THIS UPDATE IS FULL OF FAIL. I QUIT.
                              Ellipses on Fenrir
                              . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X