Coming back, will I have the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back, will I have the time?

Greetings! I'm a veteran player, starting on PC when it first was introduced in the US, having leveled pretty much every job besides MNK (Minus the new jobs in the newer expansions) to 60+. I LOVED this game, everything about it. The party system was quite enjoyable with the friends I developed over the years and the community was great.

Due to a mac switch (before the intels) and a few friends crossing over to WoW, i've done that for the past few years. And actually, ever since then I've been craving to get back to FFXI.

Now, lately in the past year I've been struck down busy. I'm a musician, playing the oboe, and quite frankly I can't devote as much time playing games as I have in the past. Will the waiting 6+ hours for a party be in the same effect? I liked playing everything, mind you, support jobs being my all time favorite.

With the introduction of the 14 day trial, I'm eager to see how the community has changed, though I'm worried it may not be enough time to form some bonds with other people (used to the static party way of leveling.) I miss this game greatly, but remembering it's massive time sync, is it possible to play with only spending a few hours or so a day, and actually *get* somewhere, considering I'm starting anew? I'm a friendly player that researched game mechanics often, I just hope that there's a LS out there that will be helpful to someone starting fresh again.
    Last edited by Landed; 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Re: Coming back, will I have the time?

Well the game has changed a lot since first release. They have a new LVL sync system as you may have heard about. That allows anyone of any lvl to "power down" to the lowest lvl in the group and all be caped to lvl together. Of course you dont have to get new gear or anything to do this also but remember the gear of the lvl you are synced to is alaways going to be better than that of the lvl you are originally.

This has dramatically reduced wait time on gathering a party together. The only reason it would take longer is b/c of how many people there are lfg. =] I really hope you return. With the new December Version Update hanging in the air you should give it a try at least untill it arrives.

Comment

18,200 items to patch ;_; You'd think SE would at least issue out a recently updated version to download with their trials.

Comment

Originally posted by Landed View Post
        18,200 items to patch ;_; You'd think SE would at least issue out a recently updated version to download with their trials.
        lol =P well it is a trial, and it is for free. You get what you pay for ^.~

Comment

Originally posted by Landed View Post
          Greetings! I'm a veteran player, starting on PC when it first was introduced in the US, having leveled pretty much every job besides MNK (Minus the new jobs in the newer expansions) to 60+. I LOVED this game, everything about it. The party system was quite enjoyable with the friends I developed over the years and the community was great.

Due to a mac switch (before the intels) and a few friends crossing over to WoW, i've done that for the past few years. And actually, ever since then I've been craving to get back to FFXI.

Now, lately in the past year I've been struck down busy. I'm a musician, playing the oboe, and quite frankly I can't devote as much time playing games as I have in the past. Will the waiting 6+ hours for a party be in the same effect? I liked playing everything, mind you, support jobs being my all time favorite.

With the introduction of the 14 day trial, I'm eager to see how the community has changed, though I'm worried it may not be enough time to form some bonds with other people (used to the static party way of leveling.) I miss this game greatly, but remembering it's massive time sync, is it possible to play with only spending a few hours or so a day, and actually *get* somewhere, considering I'm starting anew? I'm a friendly player that researched game mechanics often, I just hope that there's a LS out there that will be helpful to someone starting fresh again.
          Getting xp both solo and in groups has been made easier over the years, but the time commitment is still pretty much the same as it used to be if you want to get anything done.

In my case tried to play "casually" (1-3 hours per session) for quite some time and failed miserably, so I ended up taking a break. But I hope you have better luck than me.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Saphiera View Post
            Well the game has changed a lot since first release. They have a new LVL sync system as you may have heard about. That allows anyone of any lvl to "power down" to the lowest lvl in the group and all be caped to lvl together.
            It powers down your level to the level of the leader, not the lowest level member in the PT

Of course you dont have to get new gear or anything to do this also but remember the gear of the lvl you are synced to is alaways going to be better than that of the lvl you are originally.
            There are exceptions. If the higher level gear has similar stats to the lower level gear, those stats will unlock and an be releatively equal. Base stats take a hit, but things like HP and MP tend to be more generous and equalled out when comprable gear exists as the level the higher level gear is synced down to.

DEF on higher level sets will always be higher than the low level gear.

This has dramatically reduced wait time on gathering a party together.
            While this is true, there's a catch - level syncing too often can hurt your ability to skill up weapons and magic types. Be sure to get the highest level PT you can to get the most benefit from levelling up and use level sync only when absolutely needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              It powers down your level to the level of the leader, not the lowest level member in the PT
              It powers everyone down to whomever the leader designates. It does not have to be the leader. The leader chooses whomever he wants. I've been in parties where we've tried it at say 65, realized we weren't quite up to snuff, and switches to 66, then when the lowest person hit 66 switched back to that person. Neither of the people we were synced to was the leader.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pixiehawk View Post
                It powers everyone down to whomever the leader designates. It does not have to be the leader. The leader chooses whomever he wants. I've been in parties where we've tried it at say 65, realized we weren't quite up to snuff, and switches to 66, then when the lowest person hit 66 switched back to that person. Neither of the people we were synced to was the leader.
                Yes that is what I meant 9/10 you power down to the lowest level (planning to power down to that lvl by camping in an area were that lvl is the first lvl of that camp is what I usually do that way it leaves for a lot more time in that camp and you wont have to move as soon as the person I power down to lvls) I usually try the lowest lvl only b/c it allows for a better exp gain for everyone.

Comment

Id suggestyou try the game on your own.
                  I came back after almsot 2 years, starting all over and I am havnga good time in the game

Comment

Working...
                  X