360 FFXI Players: NXE disc install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 FFXI Players: NXE disc install

This will be awesome for those of you who play on 360 (and the rare occaision I do for me too I guess).

I always found it rediculous the disc is CONSTANTLY spinning in FFXI even though its reading off the hard drive to begin with.

This should save some of your drives.
    Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
    Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
    Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
    Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
    Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Re: 360 FFXI Players: NXE disc install

Isn't a good portion of the game *already* on the HD? I suppose more of it could be, but I was under the impression that that gods-awful long installation was putting things on my HD. :p

Nah, idk, if there's 'more' to put on there to help the system, sure. Fable II is also going on there if only to see if it can't alleviate the stupid menu lag.
    "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Well when you install a disc to the hard drive, its pretty much you're installing the image exactly and the disc is only validated so it knows you have the game, then doesn't spin any more.

So I guess w/ FFXI you'd have the regular install for the game, then the disc install if you choose...

The whole purpose would be so your disc isn't spinning constantly for hours in the case of FFXI.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
        The whole purpose would be so your disc isn't spinning constantly for hours in the case of FFXI.
        Maybe I missed a memo, but isn't that what a game console is built to do?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
        ------
        Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
        When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
          Maybe I missed a memo, but isn't that what a game console is built to do?

It's not built to spin the disc drive constantly if its not necessary.

This on top of that, the 360's DVD-drive is notorious to wear out quickly, and most consoles it sounds like a jet engine taking off.

Retired.

Comment

consoles it sounds like a jet engine taking off.
            So true...so so true. at least for my 360, ps3 is pretty quiet. While playing Fabel, only have 2 games, ffxi is the other, sounds like an elephant snorting cocoain or something.

While playing ffxi it sounds like it's trying to take off, and you can tell it's not pulling from the disk, it's too quiet for that.

PS3 on the other hand, quiet as a snail. Hell you don't even need the disk for the ps3 to play, i just wish it didnt' look so crappy on my hdtv..ffxi that is.

Comment

This on top of that, the 360's DVD-drive is notorious to wear out quickly, and most consoles it sounds like a jet engine taking off.
              Yeah, my 360 Elite is only 14 months old, and the DVD drive sounds awful. Putting a disc in there and hearing it grinding away makes me wince, and that's if it even reads the disc on the first try...lately, I've got to open and shut the tray at least 3 times before a game will be read.

Everyone I know says that any issues outside of the RROD are only covered for a year, and of course my Xbox didn't start having these issues until that year was up. Oh well, guess I'll need to do the "cover it with a blanket and force a hardware failure" trick one of these days, cause there ain't no way in hell I'm running out to buy a new console out of pocket, especially after dropping over $500 on it initially...
              I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
              -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
              http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

I usually have the absolute worst luck in EVERYTHING (seriously) but I have a release day 360 that still works perfectly fine. Between my daughter, son and I that thing gets some serious playtime too. I also have another 360 in my bedroom and haven't had any issues with that one either.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Speaking of loud disk drives, is it just me, or did last gen not have this problem? I never remember thinking "argh, my PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast is too damn loud". Yet I've heard 360 owners bitch about the noise, and I've had to turn up the volume to drown out my Wii on at least a few occasions. PS3 I haven't heard of having problems with the Blu-Ray, although I'm pretty sure I've heard people complaining about fan noise.

Anyway, I just hope that this update motivates Sony to do the same for the PS3 and PSP.

Comment

One of my PS2's had a very noisy drive. No idea why but as soon as it got noisy I put it in a room where I rarely used it. I had to replace one of my X-box's hd's too and I don't even want to talk about my PS's, gd noisy overheating pains in the butt.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

We have 2 PS2's in the house, mine, which was a launch console, runs louder overall but reading a disc is quieter then my bro's newer one. Actually surprised my original PS2 is still kicking, outside of having to readjust the laser height manually about a year after I bought it (DRE's on brand new games ftw), I've never had a problem with it since, and still use it quite a bit...

I went through 3 of the original PS's, though...spent waaaaaaaay too many hours playing FFVII, FFVIII, and Star Ocean back in the day and burned them to a crisp lol
                      I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
                      -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
                      http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

As far as last gen, my near launch Dreamcast was kinda loud, mostly the fans though, not the CD Drive.
                        Near launch Xbox, year out PS2, and launch GameCube you could hear the DVD drives but that was about it, it wasn't loud by any means, so I never really thought about it.
                        Slim PS2 was absolutely quiet...
                        My launch Wii, again you can hear the DVD drive's laser moving around quite a bit but other than that, the thing is silent.
                        Near launch PS3 is extremely quiet, I really have no way of telling by hearing when its on or off (other than the intentional beep when you turn it on or off, of course).
                        Near launch 360 was pretty loud, both the fans, and the DVD drive was horrible for noise. The thing ended up RRoD on me anyway.
                        Replacement 360 I got a year ago (warrenty, brand new system, though & couldn't be refurb since manuf date was a month before I got it) is much quieter. The fans aren't much if at all, but the DVD drive is very noticable difference. Isn't silent by any means, but much better than my original 360.

Retired.

Comment

There is a problem that I think everybody should know. The update for NXE makes it to where people can no longer access the PlayOnline Viewer. Why? I don't know and am dying for somebody to have the same problem. It has something to do with the programming of the last dashboard in collaboration with the viewer. Unless PlayOnline does something about it, me and others will not be able to play off our handles, which of course would me.

Please reply, I got to know what to do! At least before I cancel my subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxryu View Post
                            There is a problem that I think everybody should know. The update for NXE makes it to where people can no longer access the PlayOnline Viewer. Why? I don't know and am dying for somebody to have the same problem. It has something to do with the programming of the last dashboard in collaboration with the viewer. Unless PlayOnline does something about it, me and others will not be able to play off our handles, which of course would me.

Please reply, I got to know what to do! At least before I cancel my subscription.
                            I had this problem as well. You need to reinstall the Playonline Viewer, I had to use my Goddess Of Wings expansion pack because my 360 wasn't taking the original disc, once the Playonline Viewer is reinstalled it works fine.

Comment

Dude, thanks so much for figuring that out I was about to die here. If only everybody else could know what you know. I will do that immediately if that fixes for sure-I trust you

L8's!

Comment

Working...
                              X