Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about conquest, does Sandy suck everywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about conquest, does Sandy suck everywhere?

I play on Fairy, and Sandy is almost ALWAYS dead last in conquest. I've seen it rise to 2nd a handful of times over the past year, but it's pretty much a given that it's last.

I theorize that it has to do with the fact that there is only one native race in Sandy, whereas the other have 2, so that's a big reason why we always suck (I know you can start anywhere, but how many people actually start a non-mule in a different city and give up the freebie ring?).

It's not ALL bad, as we can pretty much bank on any "Area's outside nation's control" effect's to be working in our favor, but is still irritating since I pretty much never get any good outpost's outside of Zulkheim, which seems to be the only region I can bank on us maybe owning, although Bastok takes it quite a bit (Sandy takes Elshimo Lowlands on Fairy sometimes, too, though, but very infrequently).

Plus, I'm trying to get the bed quest's to trigger on my Sandy mule, and since I'm told that conquest has something to do with it (is that incorrect?) it never comes up. If not that, it's gotta be something, my fame is 3 in sandy with the mule, which meets the criteria for triggering the first one, bed's been sitting in there for over a month and no trigger yet, so I dunno...

Is this similar across all servers? Or is Fairy just a low Elvaan population server or something?
    I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
    -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
    http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Re: A question about conquest, does Sandy suck everywhere?

(I know you can start anywhere, but how many people actually start a non-mule in a different city and give up the freebie ring?).
    The ring can be bought with CP so I doubt that has much to do with it.

Pre-ToAU, Bastok was usually last in Midgardsormr. Haven't really paid much attention to Conquest results post-ToAU.

Comment

I dunno if I posted this on another thread already, but here on Carby, if Sandy had about 2 more Conquest regions, we'd probably have some situation with Bastok and Windurst combining forces against us this week.

Actually, the way it happens on Carby is Sandy would tend to slingshot from first to third and back again, sometimes hanging out in second. Bastok being in first is a rarity, but it doesn't happen as seldom as you describe Sandy being in on your server, and Windurst tends to do either very well, or not so much (kind of like Sandy, but to a greater extreme).

I doubt race has anything to do with it: if anything, I would think mules would avoid their "race nations," just to have an extra space of inventory. And, really, if people wanted conquest to be in their favor so badly, it isn't all too hard to do: people are just a bit apathetic about it, and go "aw man, we're in third this week, bummer" or "we're in second this week, ho-hum" or "whoo-hoo! first place!" without even bothering of thinking how to try and influence it themselves, even if just a little.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Sandy was pretty solidly last in conquest on Midgardsormr until a few weeks ago, now they've been dominating it, with Bastok coming in last with only a couple zones. Main exception was one week where Windy did so well that it forced Bastok and San d'Oria into an alliance.

Population shifts happen, and other things can affect the balance in conquest. My experience on Midgardsormr is that only two nations tend to really be competitive at any given time, but which two can vary periodically.

That said, the mules reference above isn't really apropos; the only thing mules tend to do, if they are leveled at all, is help solidify newbie region control, giving each nation a single guaranteed zone. An alt that you bother to level significantly might make more of a difference, but the balance of conquest lies more on who's making xp out in the more distant parts of Core FFXI and the first two expansions.

Also, Windurst almost never takes Zulkheim or Kolshushu. I've seen this throughout my whole time on Midgardsormr, throughout all the conquest-dominance shifts. The occasions where Windurst takes these zones tends to be a big deal because of the opportunity to do a supply run. Not nearly as huge an achievement as taking another nation's newbie region, but...
        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
        Clothcraft 24
        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

I get the apathy thing, I go out and level quite a bit, but obviously a handful of people can't really make a big difference there. It's just weird as all...except for Galkan's (which I rarely see out partying on Fairy) I never see too many Elvaan's out there, but see tons of Taru and Mithra, and Humes pretty frequently as well. Arguably that could just be my perceptions on the matter...so I dunno.

Windy is usually in first on Fairy, with Bastok taking first once a month, twice in a good month for them. Sandy, though, seems like it's never first (unless I missed it one week, but I try to keep up on it some for Outposts and especially for crafting).

I'm game to try the "trading gear" method of getting conquest, but without any kind of hard data that I'd seen on the subject (if there even could be?) I'm a little skeptical...I don't have the bankroll to really dump a bunch of gil on "maybe" getting a region, and the few peeps I know that do already did most of the outpost's back in the day when Sandy was more active, so obviously they don't care too much.

Actually heard a funny story from an ls mate that's been playing forever; back in the day the forces of Sandy on Fairy all got together (or so he tells me) and made it a point to take Sarutabaruta from Windy and Gustaberg from Bastok. Windy and Bastok of course retaliated by taking Ronnfaure from Sandy, so for a few week period everyone that was in the know was able to get those outposts opened up. Wish I could have been around for that
          I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
          -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
          http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

San d'Oria's been dieing in conquest for the last few years, but for whatever reason we seem to really dominate Campaign on Seraph.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I think when the Level Sync was introduced, Sandy was first on my server for 2 weeks and then after that they all went back to campaign lol.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------
              "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
              "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
              Originally posted by Solymir
              What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Windy took Gustaberg when I was still relatively new to the game. I actually helped Armando and a JP player named Mily push Windurst's influence over the top before tally. Bastok responded by taking Sarutabaruta the next week, an effort I also helped with; I was in a mostly-Windy shell at the time, so there was a lot of griping to be heard at that. During those weeks I pushed every Windy and Bastok player I knew to do the appropriate supply run.

We did this via the equipment trading method; specifically, we spammed thousands upon thousands of cheap npc-vendored arrows/bolts. This was back during the height of inflation, so spending a few hundred thousand gil on such an effort wasn't quite as huge an issue as it would be today. (Since I'm a Bastoker, my help on taking Gustaberg consisted of filling my inventory with arrows and ferrying them to the outpost to trade them to whichever Windy player showed up first.)

Nowadays I'm not sure if this would be feasible to replicate, given how much gil has been removed from the economy.
                Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                Clothcraft 24
                Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

All I know is that Windy is normally first, Bastok is normally last, and I was actually around the last time Windy took over all the starter zones. I'm happy with every OP sans Tavnazia and Sky.
                  Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                  90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                  70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                  52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

On Phoenix, Sandy usually is in first or second. As for campaign this time they are 7/7. They even took La Vaule [S].

Sandy started this month with 3/7 in campaign and now own all of there territories. Granted they rallied other nations to help take La Vaule [S] (aka use the excuse of skill up to get us there then we joined campaign for easy exp). La Vaule [S] looked like besieged this past Saturday.
                    PSN ID: Kelshan
                    Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
                    Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
                    sigpic

Comment

Not on Kujata.
                      To be the best in this game...you must help each other become the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Effedup View Post
                        Plus, I'm trying to get the bed quest's to trigger on my Sandy mule, and since I'm told that conquest has something to do with it (is that incorrect?) it never comes up. If not that, it's gotta be something, my fame is 3 in sandy with the mule, which meets the criteria for triggering the first one, bed's been sitting in there for over a month and no trigger yet,
                        Check your other furniture, some conflict with the "Give a Moogle a Break" quests and yeah I think you have to be in first or second to get it as well
                        sigpic

(\ /)
                        ( . . )
                        C(")(")
                        ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

We kick ass on Odin.
                          Thanks Kazuki.
                          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
                            We kick ass on Odin.
                            You kneel to Windurst this week, bud.

Now go get La Vaule back, Foobar needs a Wise Strap.

Comment

Actually heard a funny story from an ls mate that's been playing forever; back in the day the forces of Sandy on Fairy all got together (or so he tells me) and made it a point to take Sarutabaruta from Windy and Gustaberg from Bastok. Windy and Bastok of course retaliated by taking Ronnfaure from Sandy, so for a few week period everyone that was in the know was able to get those outposts opened up. Wish I could have been around for that
                              This happened on our server back in the ice ages. I have the Sarutabaruta and Gustaberg OP to prove it. It would be nice to see people taking enough interest to turn the starting areas again. It used to be a war that seemed to be fought just before conquest tally or something. Given the amount of people and effort it probably takes, I'd be surprised if this ever happened again. Feel bad for those who have started since ToAU came out. Conquest isn't that important to people anymore. Maybe if they gave Signet the exp boost or added effect options...
                              We know the characters aren't real, we just don't care. :3

Comment

Working...
                              X