No announcement yet.

Few questions. Starting game next week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions. Starting game next week.

Alright, Heres the low-down. on the 18th I'm getting a Laptop, i already have the game (2008 collection) and am just waiting on the laptop.

I have a few questions.

1. How well does the game run on Vista (the posts i found were from 2006)

2. Basically my game plan is to either go War till 18, switch to THF/WAR. then at 30 take the Samurai quest and either go SAM/THF or SAM/WAR till 30 or 35. and going DRG/SAM. <-- I'm wanting killer meele damage.

3. Anyone got a recomendation of which server i should join? (economy is only 2nd to the helpfulness of other players)

4. With the Vana'Diel collection 2008, approx. how big will the patches i must download be?

5. Am i asking too many questions?

6. IF you have recommended server, do you play on it, and have a LS i could join upon starting to play.

7. (final question) Out of Curiosity, does FFXI have any ''heroes'' (and i use that term VERY loosely) of the same calibur of the infamous Leroy Jenkins?

Yep..lot of questions, but i'm a curious person? <-is that another question?...anywhoo..
    If you have any answers to any of the questions, please post.

Re: Few questions. Starting game next week.

1. Dunno from personal experience, but my impression is that it's fine as long as you do it right.

2. Okay. That's not a question, but it sounds generally good, though you'll end up adapting it further as you get into it.

3. Not really. Fenrir's cool, but I feel odd actually recommending it because then there's this pressure to like, live up to the hype, and I'm way too lazy to try that.

4. Dunno. It'll take a few hours.

5. Nope!

6. I do play on the server I didn't really recommend, and my LS would probably let you join, though I don't know their official policy, really.

7. Wouldn't know. I'm too cool to pay attention to celebrity.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

(skip 1&2)
      3.) played on a few different servers(cerberus, midgar, ramuh, diablos, and 1 more but forgot) i liked diablos the most. seemed to have the most helpful people out of the 5 and had more lower level players so easier to find a party when starting.
      4.) {Long time} XD(you'll get it when you start. autotranslator is so fun =P)
      5.)not at all
      6.)i did play on it, havent played in awhile. if i can remember the leader of one of my many lses XD(all social, most nice =P) i'll send you their name
      7.) no heros but on my server there was a dude that was infamous for having multiple lvl 75s and no subjob XD and the mythical creature GM Dave

Read if you don't value your braincells.

Comment

1. Not well at all. My laptop is Vista and the game loves to randomly crash for no real reason and it frequently locks up in Lowers Jeuno or Whitegate (the two busiest areas of the game)

2. sounds like someone has been doing thier research ^^

3. The servers tend to be about equal. odin in quite heavily populated and I played on Phoenix for a while but hated it. i'm currently on Kujata and I enjoy it a lot.

4. The initial download will be huge taking anything from hours to a full day depending on your connection. all the other patches will take a few hours unless your ISP happens to be British Telecom. Then you can be sitting there for days.

5. Nope

6. My LS would let you join since it's purely social and all

7. None that I know of but each server does have their own famous and infamous characters
        Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
        Reiko Takahashi
        - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I pretty much get the picture.

Hopefully since the laptop i'm getting has 3gb of ram, i wont have much of a crashing problem. of course it could be vista itself..
          And a very big download awaits, of course i'll just set the thing to download while i'm at work.

I'm going to be looking for a good server untill i get the laptop and get it running.
          If anyone thinks i should join their server and LS please PM me with server name and what makes your server great. (it would be very appreciated)

Also, i'm dragging my girlfriend alone for the FFXI trip.. she plays MMOs all the time, and i thought it'd be more fun this way.

---> i like that smiley.

Comment

I don't have any problems running FFXI on Vista.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

The PC i'm getting has Vista Business on it, if that makes a difference...(does anyone know?)

Comment

Runs perfectly fine on Vista. Just make sure you download the Vista POL Viewer from the website (do NOT install the viewer from the disc!!!)

If you want "Killer Melee Damage" It really doesn't get any better than DRK for sheer big numbers per swing/weapon skill. But this game has 20 classes to play around with so you should enjoy them all ^^

Any server is fine, but IIRC Ragnarok and Bahamut have the highest populations

The patches will easily take an hour or longer, so I'd have a book or something handy.

And the only "hero" I know of is Avesta, who's something of a Legendary JP RDM.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Well I run Vista 64bit Ultimate and the game runs just fine for me, only problem I ever have is lag near the Auction house but you eventually get used to that. It has nothing to do with how much characters you allow to be loaded or your internet for that matter. I have tested both and it deffinately is not my computer. My husband did tell me it had to do with vista not being compatible in certain areas with FFXI but being forced to work anyway. I dunno all he said really lol (he's a computer nerd)

2. Basically my game plan is to either go War till 18, switch to THF/WAR. then at 30 take the Samurai quest and either go SAM/THF or SAM/WAR till 30 or 35. and going DRG/SAM. <-- I'm wanting killer meele damage.
                  THF/WAR is a good idea till 30, but do not use SAM/THF till you hit atleast 30 on SAM so you have access to SA (Sneak Attack) As far as DRG go's its not really the best DD in the game your best bet would to be to go SAM all the way if you want "killer melee".

3. Anyone got a recomendation of which server i should join? (economy is only 2nd to the helpfulness of other players)
                  Well all servers are pretty much equal. If you want to follow the bandwagon most people are moving to Asura. Bahamut is more on the "l337" side nowadays b/c of it being one of the original JP servers when FFXI was first released along with Garuda. Other than that they are all basically equal.

4. With the Vana'Diel collection 2008, approx. how big will the patches i must download be?
                  Due to them recently upgrading their servers probably around an hour. It used to range from 7 to 12 hours but not anymore

nope not at all lol.

6. IF you have recommended server, do you play on it, and have a LS i could join upon starting to play.
                  Well my character was recently stolen so I do not play much but on my mule atm waiting on it to be returned to me. So no I cant say I have an active ls for you to join lol.

7. (final question) Out of Curiosity, does FFXI have any ''heroes'' (and i use that term VERY loosely) of the same calibur of the infamous Leroy Jenkins?
                  Nope sorry

Comment

One thing people forget about question 7

AVESTA! (Dramatic music)

Comment

Originally posted by Banraku View Post
                      The PC i'm getting has Vista Business on it, if that makes a difference...(does anyone know?)
                      It runs fine on Vista business. POL sometimes messes up aero but it sorts itself out once you close POL.

As for which server you want to pick, it might be useful if you tell us your timezone. Although players from all over the world use the same servers, since the advent of the world transfer service there have been groups (mainly EU) moving around so they can find more people online during their play time.

Comment

Alright, Heres the low-down. on the 18th I'm getting a Laptop, i already have the game (2008 collection) and am just waiting on the laptop.

I have a few questions.

I installed it on my new laptop today, and its a Dell XPS but I haven't had any issues with the game on Vista so far, apart from how it ran on other platforms. I've run it on the PS2 and on Windows XP on my Desktop and I really haven't seen anything different apart from having to download the PoL client from the site.

That's a good plan. Although, as someone said, SAM/THF doesnt get efficient till 30. You can do SAM/WAR from 1-30, or go SAM/RNG or SAM/DRG from 20-30 due to the job traits/abilities that you'll get. And also DRG/SAM doesnt get efficient till 50, so you'll be going DRG/WAR 1-50 or DRG/THF 30-50 till then for parties. Or you can go /WHM and just solo which is actually very efficient.

Doesn't really matter honestly unless you're gonna play with someone from here. You can hop on one of the bigger/active servers like Odin/Kujata/Bahamut and just be there.

Not sure, but from the 2007 Collection I had like a 6 hour download, so it should be significantly shorter(I'd hope).

No.

I play on Hades, although not on constantly since I'm at a University. Have a social LS i'm in but it's uh, special <_<.

I play WoW too, and we don't have anyone really 'infamous' like Leeroy. There's Avesta, whose a RDM whose soloed a bunch of stuff, and each server has their own e-popular people. Lots of hated peopled though in the games history for doing lots of dumb stuff, that's always fun to read about.
                        Cleverness - Hades
                        75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                        DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

My time zone is Central US (GMT -6)

Comment

Originally posted by ZDST View Post
                            One thing people forget about question 7

AVESTA! (Dramatic music)

Learn to read?
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                              Learn to read?

I was thinking the same thing : p

Anywho.. my time zone is Central US. and i'll probably be able to play from about 3pm-9pm each day, and any time tuesdays and wednesdays (when i'm out with my girl of course)

Comment

Working...
                              X