Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to play ffxi or not

Hello all

What are the pro's and con's of this game? I've played WoW as well as Guildwars. Are there any similarities?

Re: to play ffxi or not

Don't do it. It's a tarp!

Seriously tho, Pros:

Um. Let's see...

Cons!:

Galka

Comment

Originally posted by ekif View Post
      Are there any similarities?
      There exist other people in the same game as you. That's pretty much as far as the similarities go, and even then it's stretching it a bit.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Having an active account on GW:

Pros:
        • More story. MASSIVELY more story.
        • Class dilettantism. If you wake up one day and don't want to be healer, you can start playing as a tank, or a DD, or a nuker, with all the perks of the new class.
        • More people online.
        • More world to explore, and more quests.
        • Access to all job abilities learned, not just eight.

Cons:
        • Reliance on people - you get one henchman, tops. And many things in the game require at least a group of 3 for any survivability.
        • lolpvp. It's there, but it's not near as sought out by the general populace.
        • Level grind. I can get to 20 (cap level, ffxiheathens) in GW inside of a day. Getting to 75? Takes a lot longer.
        • Travel from place to place can be a time sink if you don't have all the shortcuts.
        • Class stereotyping. If you thought you saw a lot of lolDDMonk, wait till you see lolDDwhm.

Those are the big ones off the top of my head that'll get you started. I like both games, but they are, as Yellow Mage implied, very very different in play style.
        WHM75-SCH75-DNC75-THF75
        To do: Sandy 7-1, ToAU 42, WoG15

Comment

Pros:

1. lots of cool storylines
          2. The ability to change your class without starting a new character and pick from over 20+ jobs (after unlocking them)
          3. Cool booses in those story missions I mentioned
          4. Most players will help you out with advice or by playing with you. FFXI has a really good community.
          5. XP from instanced events- This is pretty new and sometimes with abit of luck you can even do this with a low-level job. We have Campain, Campain ops and Besiged that were added in the last 2 expansion packs.

Cons:

1. No PVP(for some this is a drag) except for some somewhat unpopuplar PVP sports(balistia and brenner are fun but it's very had to get people to play them)
          2. The economy...it's fixed from the RMTs for the most part but it has yet to stableize...

Double egded sword(these can go either way for me):

1. very little soloing- Beastmaster is really the only job that can solo effectivley from lvl 1-75. For the rest you usually start partying at lvl 10-20 and just have to count on other players to help tackle the monsters to get decent amounts of XP. I do find parting fun if you get with good people but then some have complained about having to wait for quite abit...

2. Difficulity- FFXI can have some very big chalanges at times. Forget anything you've seen in WoW because that's kids stuff compared with some of the bosses in the "Chains of Promithia" expansion and Dynamis(Dynamis is as close to a raid as you'll get here). Other bosses are bad too but those are the places that consistanly kill players the most...even ones with a good stragity. Personlly I like a chalange but some would not agree with me...
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Biggest difference you'll notice between FFXI and WoW from a new player's perspective will be the complete inability to control your own levelling speed past the early teen levels in FFXI. As long as you come to this game with the complete understanding you will have to group with other people at all levels of the game to achieve anything then you should have an enjoyable time of it.

Oh, and unlike WoW, money in FFXI is considerably harder to generate and retain. Consequently, you will find huge percentages of the playerbase will not entertain helping you unless you cough up some coin.

Comment

Consequently, you will find huge percentages of the playerbase will not entertain helping you unless you cough up some coin.
              This is stretching it. People will rarely demand payment unless you're looking for a teleport or something like that (and that's fair anyways.) I've never shouted for a skill-up party or mission or whatnot and had someone go "I'll do it for x gil." Most people that'll join are looking to get the same quest/mission/whatever done as you and thus benefit from joining you.
              Last edited by Armando; 08-15-2008, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                Consequently, you will find huge percentages of the playerbase will not entertain helping you unless you cough up some coin.
                Since when did everyone become so greedy? I help for free on most fights....like the rank 3 dragon fight for example. The only thing I might ask for gill on is CoP or something that requires that you buy a load of recovery items.(then I usually end up passing them out to the group I'm with)

I did mention the economy in my post. We used to have rampant inflation before the super RMT crackdown(got rid of quite a few of them, but not all) but now we have...well lack of gill since awhole mess got removed in the constant purges. It's both good and bad since prices went down but the gill supply dropped as well in the same fashion. Also SE has basiclly nerfed alot of ways to make new gill as the RMTs kept abusing those quests and NPC sales(the fishing mess comes to mind). Hopefully this will correct itself and they be just enough gill to cover current prices in the right way.(ubber gear has always been expensive and will remain so)
                Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                (have fun MMO players ^^)
                Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Clearly I'm just going from my experiences with greedy people and that's restricted to my server. Also, it's not a criticism of the game, more a percentage of the playerbase.

Comment

thank you all for the info. i'm looking forward to trying out the game

Comment

Pros:
                      1. FFXI has a lot more content as far as Endgame is concerned.
                      2. The job/classes are very well balanced compared to WoW/Guildwars
                      3. You get a moogle in your house.
                      4. Mithra are awesome
                      5. FFXI has 20+ Classes to choose from none of which are exactly like the other (EQII in mind)
                      6. GM: You can actually get someone banned suspended for being an idiot or for harassing you. i.e. Calling people a cunt/bitch/whore/slut/douchebag in anyway is resulted in consequence (if reported). Unlike that WoW shit....... wtf 12 year olds play that damn game.....
                      7. The Maturity lvl is WAY higher (in most cases)
                      8. It is very challenging throughout all the LVL's unlike WoW that shits a joke.....
                      9. You can play more than one class/job on one character.
                      10. You can be apart of more than one Linkshell (Guild).

Cons:
                      1. Very time consuming.
                      2. You MUST group for 95% of the content.
                      3. Unlocking Sea/sky can be a bitch at times.
                      4. Not very well rounded character customization.
                      5. Obtaining money in this game means you have to work really hard to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                        I've never shouted for a skill-up party or mission or whatnot and had someone go "I'll do it for x gil."
                        Man, people on your server are too lazy to even be sarcastic about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Saphiera View Post
                          Unlike that WoW shit....... wtf 12 year olds play that damn game.....
                          7. The Maturity lvl is WAY higher (in most cases)
                          Irony much?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                            Irony much?
                            Irony: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

I fail to see how that has anything to do with what I stated in the post you qoted. Next time you want to prove a point, be sure it makes sense first.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko View Post
                              1. very little soloing- Beastmaster is really the only job that can solo effectivley from lvl 1-75. For the rest you usually start partying at lvl 10-20 and just have to count on other players to help tackle the monsters to get decent amounts of XP.
                              I just wanted to pick on this. BLM and PUP can solo quite comfortably from 1-75, at about the same speed as BST as well. DNC can solo happily to 37. And any job can solo 55-75 now that Campaign is here.

What's important though is that despite those options, regular parties will always be much faster than any soloing method.

Comment

Working...
                              X