"Hands-off" Alexander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hands-off" Alexander

This method of doing Alexander arose from circumstances and ended up being surprisingly good--we finished with more than 10 minutes left on Darksday.

Here is the PT:

Tank: PLD/WAR
    DD Group: BLM/WHM, BLM/WHM, RNG/WAR
    Support Group: WHM/SMN, RDM/DRK

Function of Support Sharacters in General During Battle I.

WHM/SMN
    Realize that any sub is ok for this. Preference is given to the three "top" subs, /SCH, /SMN, and /PUP (Soulsoother).

White mage is in charge of healing. White mage will use Repose each time Raubahn wakes from sleeping after a nuke during the 1st incarnation.

RDM/DRK
    The sub-job is non-negotiable. While during Battle I, the RDM will not be a primary stunner, the RDM will be the primary stunner during Battle II. For battle I, the RDM will be casting Sleep II during Incarnation 1 each time a nuke goes off.

The RDM's primary role in Battle I is maintenance of the standard buff cycle (Haste/Refresh), backup Stun, backup Heal, and debuffing Raubahn. Paralyze can add an extra layer of protection from Eyes on Me.

Battle I (Raubahn & Razfahd)

1st Incarnation: Magical Death

I. The two BLMs will kill Raubahn using a Sleep/Nuke Strategy. While this is occuring, the PLD and RNG will attack Razfahd until he uses Perfect Defense.
    A. BLM1 casts Freeze II on Raubahn.
    B. BLM2 casts Sleep II on Raubahn as he becomes claimed.
    C. PLD & RNG engage Razfahd.
    D. BLM1 & BLM2 pick a time and simultaneously cast Tier IV nuke.
    E. As nukes go off, BLM2 casts Stun on Raubahn, BLM1 casts Sleep II on Raubahn. ((RDM and WHM assist with controlling Raubahn.))
    F. Repeat steps D & E BUT on step E (Stun/Sleep), switch the BLM's duties.
    G. Whichever group finishes first, assists the other. RDM will control 2nd incarnation until Razfahd is dead if Raubahn goes down first.

2nd Incarnation: Melee Death

This is pretty standard. The BLMs refrain from casting spells until Raubahn's health bar drops below 50%.
    A. BLMs alternate Stun (Raubahn uses Eyes on Me approximately once every 40 seconds). No nuking.
    B. RNG and PLD attack.
    C. When Raubahn's HP drops below 50%, The BLM that is not on stun is Nuking. (RDM/DRK is assisting with Stuns).
    3rd Incarnation: Free-for-all

After his last reraise, continue attacking him as you were after he dropped below 50% on incarnation 2.

When the 3rd incarnation dies the CS will begin immediately. The simultaneous early killing will give you a couple of "bonus minutes" which are very important in this battle that can often stretch into the last minute. The CS is auto-scrolling, so you don't need to spam enter and no one can slow you down.

Rest to Full.

The positions of each person is instrumental. We used the right side of the room:

Everyone is basically arranged in a ring spaced out so that of someone gets caught by an AoE attack, they'll be the only one hit. Now, you can't quite get that far apart, so we ended up having the BLMs a bit close together. The PLD needs to be isolated, and the WHM is free to move around in the back but everyone remains basically stationary.

Battle II (Alexander):

This can't be described procedurally, everything is basically event driven. The default process is this:

PLD:
    Uses hate generation moves as soon as available. Having anti-magic gear for spells and anti-physical gear for Radial Sacrament is helpful as is an initial array of MP gears that are swapped out after the mp is used. The PLD will reserve the move, Rampart for use during Alexander's Divine Judgment that will be used at around 50%. As soon as the PLD sees the "Omega" warning, he pops Rampart. When this is skillfully executed it will prevent a wipe. PLD's two-hour is reserved to counter WHM's Benediction only.

RNG:
    Rangers know what they do... Shoot stuff.

BLM/WHM:
    The reason BLMs are subbing WHM is b/c even with Fast Cast from /RDM it is rare to see a BLM actually stun Alexander's Gospel of the Lost in time to prevent it. The /WHM allows the BLMs to pick up the near constant need for Erase on the PLD. BLMs should provide Erases freely as well as liberally unloading hot nukage on the giant metal avatar. It is a good idea to bring a sizable amount of Ether to this battle. Having a Pro-Ether and a couple Super Ethers can give you that extra nuke you need. BLM/WHM will also take stun duty while the RDM is buff-cycling or the WHM is resting.

RDM/DRK:
    The RDM/DRKs first job is to Stun Gospel of the Lost. After each cycle, the RDM sits in "ready" mode to stun Alexander. You may miss some, but every Gospel that doesn't go off is 1000 fewer HP you have to knock off. RDM should notify the party when cycling so that the BLMs can stun. Again, bring ethers. At 5%, RDM will two-hour to fend off Alexander's use of the deadly Divine Judgment using the Chainspell Stun lock-down defense. When the WHM runs low on MP or needs to consume ether, the RDM becomes primary healer.

WHM
    Erase and Cures should be the only spells WHM has to cast. Ether is critical. You will run out of MP. When you run out of MP, you must notify the party so the RDM can jump on main heal and the BLMs jump on stun. Bring good Rest gear. You may need to use your two-hour at around 50% when Alexander's first Divine Judgment goes off, so be prepared.

The DD two-hours are best used at 20% before he starts using Perfect Defense. All DDs should pop their two-hour when Alexander reaches 20%. This is the time when the PT will be most vulnerable. The PLD will most likely not be able to maintain hate. If you go down, wait until the Paladin restores hate before popping as you may be within range of Alexander's AoEs if he's targetting one of the other DDs.

I believe that's it. I played RDM/DRK. I actually took hate and died in the 5-10% level, and I never got to use Chainspell because of it--we still won. A very fun battle.

Re: "Hands-off" Alexander

Neat, but you say BLM's can't stun with /RDM...

What about a BLM/SCH since Dark Arts is more potent? Or a SCH/DRK? (with AF stun will cast pretty damn quickly)

Nice strategy though.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Re: "Hands-off" Alexander

Dark Arts reduces cast times by 10% whereas Fast Cast II decreases them by 15%, so blm/sch or sch/drk wouldn't be faster than blm/rdm. Rdm has 20-32% cast time reduction depending on items used.

Really though, it shouldn't make that much difference. Stun has a base cast time of half a second already so between the rdm/drk and the blm/sch we'd talking about a difference of a tenth of a second cast time. If your blm's ping is slightly lower than your rdm's, they might still be the better stunner. <_< More relevant, I'd think, would be the reflexes and experience of the player, and the filters they have set to help them more reliably see the move in time.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Re: &quot;Hands-off&quot; Alexander

Well, another thing that's relevant is if the BLMs are doing anything else. I, and I'm pretty every other person who's ever played BLM, cannot count the amount of time I've bashed my stun macro, only to realize I was already casting something else. Even beyond reaction time, it doesn't do any good if you're in the middle of casting Freeze =/

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
          Realize that any sub is ok for this. Preference is given to the three "top" subs, /SCH, /SMN, and /PUP (Soulsoother).
          How is BLM not noted as a "top" sub for WHM? I thought that was the main and most accepted sub for WHM?

Just curious.

Strategy seems pretty tight, I'm still stuck in the 30's of AU missions, so it'll be a while.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

@Feba: True enough

@Aks: /blm was the first good sub for whm and still fairly common to see since the other listed subs are all advanced jobs. Sometime I guess about a year and a half ago the community caught on to the fact that Auto Refresh gives you more mp over time than Conserve MP will save you and /smn became the cool kids' sub for whm. Then /sch came out with its more powerful Conserve MP effect on Light Arts, which ostensibly saves you more mp than Auto Refresh gives, in addition to 10% faster casting and recasting. You get that at level 20, long before you could even get Conserve MP or Auto Refresh from other subs, plus the option of Drain and Aspir with a usable skill level and Sublimation for extra mp recovery at level 70.

MP efficiency breakdown

/pup I had never heard about. I don't really know how pup works but having an extra little autonomous curebot around seems like it could be worthwhile.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I'm always on /BLM anyway, regardless, because of Escape. I'm always casting Escape from some-damn-where, especially because my LS has this anti RDM/BLM thing and makes them all sub WHM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                Dark Arts reduces cast times by 10% whereas Fast Cast II decreases them by 15%, so blm/sch or sch/drk wouldn't be faster than blm/rdm. Rdm has 20-32% cast time reduction depending on items used.

Really though, it shouldn't make that much difference. Stun has a base cast time of half a second already so between the rdm/drk and the blm/sch we'd talking about a difference of a tenth of a second cast time. If your blm's ping is slightly lower than your rdm's, they might still be the better stunner. <_< More relevant, I'd think, would be the reflexes and experience of the player, and the filters they have set to help them more reliably see the move in time.
                I had full filters on--everything filtered but actions started on/by foes and still missed some b/c Alexander seems to sense when I'm in the middle of a buff cycle.

As for /BLM the only useful features it has now are Warp and Escape. There's no XP loss on Alexander and you get to him right from the staging point. Escape is not useful and Warp would only save you a couple seconds. I feel that /BLM, as a sub, is now sort of a "lesser" sub compared to the three I mentioned--similar to a WAR75 subbing /MNK. It's good and can be useful, but there are better things out there.

As for /PUP, the automaton is capable of casting Cure III and provides a virtually limitless supply of mp through the deploy/cast/deactivate method and casts "under the radar" since it will never generate enough enmity to attract attention and the enmity it does generate can be wiped away be dismissing and recalling it.

/PUP = Enmity-free Cure III's for 0mp.
                Last edited by Sabaron; 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                  Let's say over the course of 5 minutes you spend 1200 mp on spells. Conserve MP will save you about 90 mp (it's somewhat random), Auto Refresh will give you 100 mp, and Light Arts will reliably knock 120 mp off your mp costs.
                  Rounding makes Light Arts not quite that good on MP conservation. Let's say you cast Cure IV five times in that five minutes. Normal cost is 88 MP per cast, 440 total. Light Arts knocks it down to 80 MP per cast, 400 total. On Cure IV, you've saved 40 MP, not 44, and it'll be the same for every spell whose base MP cost doesn't end with a zero. (And if, by chance, you cast something that costs < 10 MP, like Paralyze, it doesn't help at all.)

That doesn't take Stratagems into account, or the usefulness of Dark Arts, or the 10% speed increase. I the hell out of /SCH, but purely from an MP savings standpoint, it's probably a lot closer to a wash with Auto Refresh than it looks like on paper.
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

Aksannyi, I know a WHM that constantly had to sub BLM for escape. Eventually, they chose the sub THEY wanted to go with. In an Emergency? They replaced their Escape macro with Teleport-Dem. People stopped acting like idiots, strangely enough.

Comment

Fuck that, I'd use Teleport-Yhoat. It is BY FAR the most isolated of the ports out there, and the OP is only controlled by one of the nations less than half the time. Ride your bitch-asses to Norg!

And damn, I thought /SMN was an "extra" sub, not necessary, at least from what I've heard through the grapevine. Guess I'll finish that out this week. :/
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, the idea wasn't to ABANDON your party and screw them over. It was just to get them out of danger, without inconveniencing yourself. I believe they chose dem because they felt it was the safest.

Comment

Nah fuck that. They're screwed. You're forgetting I'm a vindictive bitch at times, and if people are being stupid, they deserve to be dropped off in the middle of hell.

Of course, I could just Recall-Pash and see how many people in my party don't have the crystal yet.

And I'm mostly thinking of escape from Sky and Sea zones, mostly. Not like xping or anything.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                            Nah fuck that. They're screwed. You're forgetting I'm a vindictive bitch once a month, and if people are being stupid, they deserve to be dropped off in the middle of hell.
                            Hey, that's your call.

Comment

FU Feba, I see that edit.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X