a couple basic questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple basic questions

Completely newbie now. I have played FF about 4 years ago and just return to this game yesterday.

Two basic questions that came up while I was playing today.

We got two numbers representing sent/received connection, is the higher the better or lower the better? I assume the lower as usual? My received can jump from anywhere from 120 to 500, so average si about 300-400 ish. Sent kinda goes up and down quite a bit as well. Can anyone explain this to me?

Then the servers. I am living in Los Angeles, California. Which server would provide a better speed? I cant seem to find the location information regarding these servers. If speed don't vary much then which server has a bigger and kinder population?

Thanks in advance!

Re: a couple basic questions

We got two numbers representing sent/received connection, is the higher the better or lower the better? I assume the lower as usual? My received can jump from anywhere from 120 to 500, so average si about 300-400 ish. Sent kinda goes up and down quite a bit as well. Can anyone explain this to me?
    As you suspect, that's a representation of the number of packets being sent between your client and the server. The numbers don't really have any dedicated good or bad meaning.

Higher traffic numbers can mean anything from network congestion, network transmission failure, to there simply being a larger number of objects in your vicinity.

The behavior that you are seeing, with the numbers rising and falling is standard. As you move around (or others move around you) the server (or your client) is transmitting data about coordinates of objects (including you're 'toon). If you are a member of a linkshell I suspect messages sent/received to it are part of that display. In short, those numbers should always be changing.

The only time you really need to be concerned about the send and receive numbers is when they drop to zero. Thats a clear indication you're about to disconnect from the game.

Then the servers. I am living in Los Angeles, California. Which server would provide a better speed? I cant seem to find the location information regarding these servers.
    All servers, IIRC, are located in Japan. There is no server that will provide better speed.

If speed don't vary much then which server has a bigger and kinder population?
    Odin I believe has the largest population. SE recently had a press release saying that it's population had grown so much they were allowing voluntary server migration.

Shiva has the kindest population. I hear the players on all the other servers eat kittens for breakfast.

Seriously though, you'll find the servers to be pretty equal. The newest servers, Remora and Hades are said to have the highest population of European players -- something to keep in mind if you happen to play during off-peak North American times. You're best best bet, on whichever server you choose, is to find yourself an LS that you're comfortable in.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 05-06-2008, 01:19 AM.

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

Garuda is on a puppy diet. We ran out of kittens.
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi
      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Bahamut will eat you alive.
        | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
        2/5 WAR +2
        Farsha(85)

Comment

I am in gilgamesh and I can't say that I have felt bad at all being in it. You have your assholes, but that's anywhere. I look at servers much the way I look at a job. Every job has its perks, its downfalls, its assholes, and its hot secretaries...*cough* I mean friendly co-workers. >.>

Pick a server you might could join with some RL friends and you and your friends will make much of your experience in any server what it is. Aside from that look for the people who will take you in a good LS and a seeminlgy horrible server can make everything there seem much better.

Good luck ^^
          Life is all about decisions. It is the decisions you make in life that shape you.
          sigpic

Comment

I would have recommended Midgardsormr once, and it's still better than the descriptions I hear of the community from certain other servers, but we've been hit hard by the degradation of community standards that came about as a result of a variety of factors, rampant PLing being chief among them. It's still not bad, and probably not any worse compared to general decline across all servers, but I couldn't really say that it still fits the criteria for which we originally chose it.

Still, no horror stories to tell about life there either, so that puts it ahead of some.
            Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
            DRK99,DNC91,THF90
            Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
            Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
            WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
            Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
            All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
            Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
            Clothcraft 24
            Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
            BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Go to Hades

/giggle
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                Go to Hades

/giggle
                Hey, that's my joke.

Too bad SE didn't leave a random option when choosing servers. No more indecisive questions about it.
                Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                Originally posted by Nandito
                Ponies.

Duh.
                You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandito View Post
                  Too bad SE didn't leave a random option when choosing servers. No more indecisive questions about it.
                  I'm pretty sure if you leave the server selection blank it's still random, unless you already have characters somewhere.
                  Last edited by Ellipses; 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM.
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

what's on hades?
                    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

>.> (Death) (You can have this)
                      Life is all about decisions. It is the decisions you make in life that shape you.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
                        I would have recommended Midgardsormr once, and it's still better than the descriptions I hear of the community from certain other servers, but we've been hit hard by the degradation of community standards that came about as a result of a variety of factors, rampant PLing being chief among them. It's still not bad, and probably not any worse compared to general decline across all servers, but I couldn't really say that it still fits the criteria for which we originally chose it.

Still, no horror stories to tell about life there either, so that puts it ahead of some.
                        Ronfaure is beastmen owned this week on Midgard... I think that pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                          Ronfaure is beastmen owned this week on Midgard... I think that pretty much says all that needs to be said.
                          Wow, that almost happened here on Carby, too . . . stupid sword event . . . stupid Omodaka Armor . . .
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

It's more like lots of fun deaths of people trying to get mules to lvl 5 for Mog Bonanza(I just plan on getting marbles on my main chara)...either that or the beastmen took over in the past XD
                            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                            (have fun MMO players ^^)
                            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Working...
                            X