"Under Observation" setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Under Observation" setup?

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this. I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I'm looking to do this BCNM but I have some one in my Ls who wants to it with me and her only job she can bring is RDM and the only job I could bring is RNG. Could we still do this if we find the right job to fill the 3rd spot and if so what job and what would be the strategy?

Re: "Under Observation" setup?

RDM is fine, but RNG is wrong for this.

RDM can kite, while two other members need to be able to do damage while facing backwards, or at least getting the critters to not face them, some how. The most popular setup is probably RDM, NIN, NIN. See Under Observation Strategies for more details.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I prefer Kiter + BLUx2 for this.
      Mainly to counter firaga from the NM with head butt
      Thanks,
      Vrytreya

My FFXI Doc

Comment

I've seen RDM/NIN, BST/WHM, BST/NIN, BLM/NIN and NIN/WHM all generally used for this BC in the strategies I've been involved in.

NINs usually spam the elemental wheel, BLMs spam nukes. RDMs are usually kiting the main NM with gravity or a BST can do the same with Sabre Sivardre. BSTs who fight the lesser mobs usually use Courrier Carries to tank them and also use the CCs to intimidate the Eye mobs, since they're amorphs and frightened by aquan mobs.

Comment

Wouldn't BLU x2 puts both in range for Breakga? With NIN x2, odds are at least one isn't Petrified.

Firaga isn't that bad. (I use NIN/RDM myself, which gives me Barfire and Cure II.)

- Mugaku

Comment

In other words, you're going to have to level up another job if you want to do this fight.

On wiki they do mention a duo that could do this fight, and I suppose if you paired up with those same jobs it might work but not recommended (might even make things worse). Since your friend is Red Mage you don't have to worry about a kiter, so best bet would be to go as Ninja or Blue Mage. Either that or go for a three man Black Mage mana burn.

Comment

Drg/blu to kite, then two drg/whms.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMWT3ubNmM]YouTube - FFXI - DRG Trio "Under Observation"[/ame]
              Thanks Kazuki.
              Dragoon Equipment

Comment

That looks so dangerous. What if Bindga lands on the kiter? o_o; What if neither DRG/WHM is able to remove Paralyze in a timely fashion?

The killing speed is impressive, but the typical RDM + NINx2 is smoother and safer in comparison.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                  Wouldn't BLU x2 puts both in range for Breakga? With NIN x2, odds are at least one isn't Petrified.

Firaga isn't that bad. (I use NIN/RDM myself, which gives me Barfire and Cure II.)
                  I use the RDM + 2BLU or RDM + BLU + NIN setup all the time. Last time I check everyone fights with their backs to the mobs to avoid being Petrified. I have only been hit by it once because the RDM started with Gravity and I must have been 1 degree within sight as the Larger one was moving out of the circle and got Petrified. We still won with no deaths (for some reason it kept missing me and I was able to last, 15 hp, until the other BLU finished his and came to the rescue)
                  PSN ID: Kelshan
                  Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
                  Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
                  sigpic

Comment

That looks so dangerous. What if Bindga lands on the kiter? o_o; What if neither DRG/WHM is able to remove Paralyze in a timely fashion?

The killing speed is impressive, but the typical RDM + NINx2 is smoother and safer in comparison.
                    The kiter uses powder boots to get away quickly. Drg/whm has two ways to remove paralyze: paralyna and ws.
                    Thanks Kazuki.
                    Dragoon Equipment

Comment

2x Nin and me kiting as Summoner is how I ran it when I played. Easy. Not a single hitch. We made decent money off the Utsu drops.

Basically a kiter and 2x Nin is the super-cakewalk way to do it (at least for us). I pulled the middle eye out and down the path while they killed the others. Once they were done we all wailed on the center eye.
                      "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Originally posted by Losrase View Post
                        I use the RDM + 2BLU or RDM + BLU + NIN setup all the time. Last time I check everyone fights with their backs to the mobs to avoid being Petrified.
                        Breakga is not a gaze; facing backwards does nothing to prevent being petrified. Stunning it with Headbutt may save you, but that's not 100%, is it?

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
                        The kiter uses powder boots to get away quickly.
                        I noticed the powder boots. But, also noticed that kiter came back up later, and that should be after the boots have worn off. When the kiter passes the big critter, that's when he's vulnerable to Bindga or Breakga. Plus, recast time on boots is 30min, isn't it? The kiter would need multiple pairs if doing more than one run.

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
                        Drg/whm has two ways to remove paralyze: paralyna and ws.
                        Yet, the cameraman DRG had the hardest time putting up Barfira; he just couldn't get Paralyna up.

The point isn't that the DRGx3 party can't do the job--it obviously can--but it doesn't seem as safe or convenient as the RDM + NINx2 set up. In any case, the OP doesn't have DRG ready...

The reason RDM is often used as a kiter:
                        1. Can deal with Bindga easily; bind the critter back.
                        2. Stoneskin, Phalanx, and Ice Spikes to survive Breakga.
                        3. Dual options to keep space between self and monster: Gravity and Bind.
                        4. Can cure if needed.

- Mugaku

Comment

Breakga is not a gaze; facing backwards does nothing to prevent being petrified. Stunning it with Headbutt may save you, but that's not 100%, is it?
                          Headbutt is 100% Damage varies with TP but it stuns them on my account all the time. i go Rdm/Blu anytime i have the chance to do a UO run.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Working...
                          X