Best duo combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best duo combination?

I plan to play pretty much exclusively with a friend.. is it possible for us to duo to 75? If so, what classes would synergize the best?

Re: Best duo combination?

Well it rather depends on what jobs you're interested in.

Probably the best solo/duo group would for you both to level Beastmaster. They are very accomplished soloers. Typcially in a duo what I've done is one of us sub /whm for cures, dia and occasionally enfeebles and the other goes /nin so they can psudo tank if needed. BST will probably be the easiest to solo from 1 to 75 with.

Another strong duo would either be both BLM or 1 BLM and one a refresh job (RDM or BRD) This will probably work best post 41 for RDM or post 55 for BRD. Those are the levels where they get thier better refresh abilities. Personally I'd suggest a BLM and RDM coupling over a BLM BRD combo. Simple because all the bard will typically do is refresh you and maybe use some +INT songs on you. And a few sleeps and enfeebles on the mob. RDM will bring gravity and stronger enfeebles to the table, while being able to nuke a bit as well.

Also, PUP can solo/duo the majority of levels, though I can't comment much on this job and I havn't even touched it since unlocking it.

SMN can also work well as a duo, but thier solo strengths come later on when more minue perpetual cost gear becomes available (around the 60s you'll have most of it)

That said if one of you were to play a tankish job (WAR, PLD, or NIN) and one played a support role (WHM or RDM) you could duo the majority of your levels together. This would work best in my opinion after 40 (for whm) or 48 (for RDM) where they get the spell haste. Allowing the tank type job deal more damage while keeping hate seated on them. This would probably be a slower route than the above mentioned.

Most any job can solo/duo to 25 rather easily. You might start having a little trouble around the 25-40 range depending on combos you choose and what you want to fight. I highly recommend this guide: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Bl..._by_Lion_heart

While that guide is designed with BLM in mind, BST pets are the easiest prey in the game and will yield good EXP. However, solo/duoing will be a bit slower though the levels, and you'll die a bit more than if you partied. Really it just takes more patients and being prepared. You'll find that better gear and food will help you more and be more noticable in small man events than in a party. Be sure to keep gear up to date (doesn't have to be HQ everything) and bring Reraise items!

Be prepared to die a bit as you get your techniques down, and you should be fine :D

Comment

It's hard to say exactly what's best in terms of available combinations. A lot of possibilities can work well. The main thing would be to look for abilities that complement each other. Consider where the hate is likely to be focused, who will have damage mitigation or who will have healing, etc. Duoing is a lot more like full-partying than like soloing, but each member is going to be doing more. (The key difference in soloing is you have to do everything, with no opportunity to distract the mob, except possibly with pet jobs at certain moments)

I've had some fairly good luck with a PLD and DRK duo. SMN and SMN is also quite handy, particularly if you're good with the skillchain chart (SMN and SMN and SMN trio adds the ability to SC and MB through blood-pacts alone). Pairing up a healer and a damage dealer in general makes sense, so long as one of you can afford to take a beating. All in all, it's difficult to encompass the various possibilities, but if you research a job, get a sense for its capabilities, you should be able to make a good guess as to whether they'd perform well in a particular duo.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Paladin and Dark Knight duo :D

It ain't tanking unless you get hit
        To those who are about to tank I salute you.

Comment

I found DRG/BLU and WAR/NIN work pretty well duoing

DRG/BLU takes care of the healing, while WAR/NIN tanks
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Well.. I was mostly talking about which jobs of the ones available at the start. :p

Comment

You're going to have to used advanced jobs to duo really.

Best option would be to tell use what you do want to use.

Personally I'd recommend you consider yourselves a static party and invite people as needed.

Comment

If limited to standard jobs for duo, one of you should be RDM, while the other should be someone who can dish out damage without dying too fast. WAR fits the bill, I think, if you leave alone the monsters which check as "Very Tough" or "Incredibly Tough".

If you change your mind on the jobs, you can unlock extra jobs once you hit Lv.30, so no worries about picking the wrong ones for the moment.

p.s. Trio is better than duo, BTW.
                Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Hmm..so of the 6 jobs there is BLM, WHM, RDM, WAR, MNK, THF.

Most any combinations of whm or rdm and any melee could duo rather easily to around the 30s without much trouble. At 18 you can unlock your support job and you'll have to level that up a bit as well.

If you intended to just level 1 of the 6 beggining jobs to 75 I'd recommend blm and rdm.

I'd start off as both of you as a RDM and WHM duo. RDM is rather decent melee in the lower levels, they don't really shift to full time mage till about the 40s typically. Duo up to 18 and complete the Support Job Quest. Once you have that done you're set to start leveing your main proffessions. The formor RDM changes to BLM/RDM and the WHM changes to RDM/WHM.

With this set up you can again start leveling up to the 20s and start heading to Jueno to do various quest like the Chocobo license quest. And from there start seeking out Beastmen pets to kill or most any mobs that /check Even match or so. I believe with signet bonuses you should be able to mow throw Even Match prey for decent exp.

Keep in mind to keep your subjob leveled, it's needs to always be at least half you main job level (or higher). So you'll need it to 37 by the time you hit 75 on your main job. You might also want to level several jobs to use as sub, and your prefered sub will change as you level. BLM with typically use /whm or /rdm. Rdm will want /blm, /whm available, but might benifit more from a melee sub to start if you're duoing.

I hope some of that was at least understandable :x Best suggestiong would be to just pick two jobs (preferably at least one of you has cures to help things a long a little bit) and level up various jobs together and see what works for you.

Comment

Assuming both keep shadows up, I'm curious about PLD/NIN + NIN/(most beneficial subjob here) from 20-37.

Comment

I'd suggest starting out as a WAR and RDM duo. You can then look into MNK and WHM as you both start your subjobs at Lv18. I personally enjoy my SAM/WAR and RDM/WHM duo, but there are some other really good combinations. I'd not pass up exploring the extra jobs when they come available at Lv30.

Keep us posted on your experiences. If you join the Lakshmi server, I'd be happy to help out and discuss job combinations.

Comment

Working...
                      X