about the the 3/28/2007 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about the the 3/28/2007 update

doesnt mean ppl have to be asses, if im browsing the boards and i see something about an update, im going to ask here if plenty of ppl are posting rather then leave go to google, hope google actaully send me to the right site, hope that the info is easy to find. we can argue about this for days if we want.
    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

I agree with the post above mine.

Since when has DiV become a place where we're allowed to be assholes to new members? The pride of these forums is the use of disgression and courtiousy when it comes to player's difficulties, be they 'noob' or not.

Let me make my opinion clear.

This web forum is nothing BUT a forum. It's only draw is the kind, inteligent, calm, and considerate people who help share information and people who are well mannered enough to ask for it properly, without uneeded flame wars or flame baiting. If this place were to reduce down to flaming and argumenting like in other forums, it will quickily loose its popularity amoung the kinder players looking to genuinly help people out.

If you cannot tolerate simple question as to the link to the FFXI offical website, then please, for the sake of maintaing this website's good reputation, go to Killing Ifrit or Allakhazam to rant about it. Do not do it here and force those who've been here for a good while because they've enjoied the peacefullness of this site to look elsewhere.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

I go with people on quests and missions. We all get the same text issued to us, the very same objectives. Hell, sometimes they're even nice enough to put the specifics of the quest or mission in my Mission and Quest logs.

But do people still ask what to do next, even after the NPC told them what to do and where to go?

Yup.

So posts like this don't surprise me.

Comment

I understand.

I lurk in here daily, and you rarely see me post. I see people asking questions all the time. Sometimes it just seems like people are waiting in the shadows waiting for that post to jump out and give the poor guy hell. Whether They are doing that just to make themselves look more 'elite', or if they even realize they are doing it, I don't know.

Ok, in this case, maybe the OP could have payed more attention or searched around. But do we need to drag a thread through pages to try and point out how dense he/she is?

Just been biting my my tongue for some time now, my day at work is taking forever, and well, you know how it goes. I've just been noticing it becoming more and more common. I like this place for what it has been, don't want to see it walk down the same road that Allakhazam has.

With that, I'm out of this thread to do some research on tips on how to effectively burst Ancient Magic

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
          DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
          BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
          Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

hell you all wanna make fun of each other go to my endgame website make an account hop on our chat thread and joke around with us. This like lamb said was/is the nice forums were ppl get advice not made fun of cuz we so leet.

Comment

I'm all for loving and helping everyone, but the sky isn't falling because the forum poked fun at someone who misrepresented themselves and couldn't keep their story straight from one post to the next.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                I'm all for loving and helping everyone, but the sky isn't falling because the forum poked fun at someone who misrepresented themselves and couldn't keep their story straight from one post to the next.
                its not just this post tho i picked it cuz it was the most recent, its just a growing thing overall. And im not taking side not saying people went fully out of line or pointing any fingers saying what needs to be said imo

Comment

Yes, but would he have to lie if no one made a persuit at him for asking a simple question.

When someone gets put on the spot, most people are going to try to excuse themselves somehow. You look down on that ,but think of how many kids lie to their parents to try to get away from something?

Fibbing your way out of a sticky situation is something breed into our culture, so it's a hard impulse to chop down, especially on the internet. I've seen it time and time again.

People however, tend to be more honest when people are NOT breathing down their necks.

Try it yourself some time. Go on a forum and rant the hell out of someone, and see how their excuses go. Then go on another forum and instead, calmly ask for an explination. You'll see that people are alot calmer and truthful (at least more convincing) when you're not berading them for every mistake, expecting them to be a lier and a gilbuyer.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

If it weren't for the POL message boards ages ago, I probably would never have visited/cared to check the official site. And this was back before XI was released Stateside. I'm on PS2, as well. So I tend to just wait until details are put into the news on the Viewer and go from there. Not everyone bothers to go searching up the POL site, even if they know its there. I can count the times I've visited it in the past *year* on one hand.

Sure, Google, whatever. But still, is there anything wrong with asking here, and someone just saying simply, without the asshattery: "No, the details have not been released yet. The POL site will have them first, check here <insert link>." Not difficult, really. I don't care how long they've played and what you *think* they should or shouldn't know. Extend a little courtesy. It won't break anyone, even if they did ask something that should be painfully obvious.
                    "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

So now we have a page or so of people going on and on about how mean everyone was on pages one and two. Can we just let it drop now?

Comment

The change in environment is mainly based off of a significant population increase of the forums. Sure, it used to be a tight knit family, but there used to also be twenty people posting. It works both ways. As the numbers go up, the amount of 'noobs', or whatever you want to call them, goes up as well. Thus, the negative reactions will increase as well and make it seem like the negativity is escalating.

It may sound cynical and pessimistic, but adding a little piss and vinegar to the forums instead of coddling everyone who doesn't want to do any legwork isn't a terrible idea in my opinion. Regardless, even with that, this is one of the nicest and friendliest forums I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                          The change in environment is mainly based off of a significant population increase of the forums. Sure, it used to be a tight knit family, but there used to also be twenty people posting. It works both ways. As the numbers go up, the amount of 'noobs', or whatever you want to call them, goes up as well. Thus, the negative reactions will increase as well and make it seem like the negativity is escalating.
                          It may sound cynical and pessimistic, but adding a little piss and vinegar to the forums instead of coddling everyone who doesn't want to do any legwork isn't a terrible idea in my opinion. Regardless, even with that, this is one of the nicest and friendliest forums I've seen.
                          im not saying coddle people but its a first time ive ever seen them ask about an update, if im wrong link the post. And its fine that "noobs" come here thats the point of a comunity the older player help teach new players things while the new players still learn on thier own. Hell ask tele i ran a ls we took in noobs all the time, i didnt baby them to the point they didnt learn on thier own but i also didnt set them for failure.

Comment

I don't thnk anyone here was overly rude.

A person asked a question about an update. Ok, maybe a little newbish, but overall, totally fine. This person was directed to the POL official site. Still nothing wrong. Then said person asked for the POL site. Given that they couldn't even do a simple google search, they were teased. Nothing serious, nothing offensive. They then claimed to have been playing for a year. Again, teased for not knowing the POL official site after a supposed year of playing, but not outright insulted or anything. I'm not seeing the lack of civility here.

Comment

Sorry but I need to clarify the 'noobs' designation. I by no means meant anyone that was a first time poster by default. There are plenty of new users who come in and post questions that get answered. Some search for the answer and some don't. I'm pointing more to the poster that does 0 legwork and just wants everything handed to them.

Regardless, the question posed by the OP was answered in the first reply. The resultant 'grilling' or 'meanness' came as a result of someone saying:

What's the POL site?

I'm not new, I've played for over a year.

I know what the POL site is. I thought there might be a 'secret link'

It then turns out it wasn't even the person represented at all but a third party the whole time.

My point is this case is so out of the ordinary and bizarre, that using it as a case study in the degradation of the forum seems ludicrous to me.

Regardless, like Murph said, the issue is long dead. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                                IF you've honestly been playing a year, please quit. If you were lying, or saying the character is one year old, please give it back to the person you bought from.
                                I don't normally enjoy being rude, but if you don't know what POL is after a year of playing, you're either extremely ignorant, or you've got horrible amnesia and can't remember FFXI anyway.

ya cuz this was very nice feba (>.<) <^>. Nothing wrong with this at all. You fail hard if you see nothing wrong with saying this.

Comment

Working...
                                X