Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new to FFXI

Hi all,

My name is jason and i jsut recently as of last night joined the FFXI ranks. I am a Final Fantasy Fanatic and have almost all the final fantasy's in my posession i was playing everquest II prior to coming here and it was a real boring game. I would actually be falling asleep on my keyboard around 2pm just hours after i wake up because of the boringness in the game. I come to FFXI cause i saw alot of the new updates and everything and so i bought the Vana'diel collection 2007 at gamestop and i love the animations when you get to choose your character.

I am currently on the leviathan server cause i have no friends who play but i would like to go to a server that is populated with alot of people cause im a social person. I play a taru taru ( my #1 race choice) as a WHM. I know WHM arent supposed to be for the new person but i really enjoy healing and i am interested in becoming later on of course a WHM/BLU or a WHM/SMN. I would like to join a server in which there is alot of interaction and that i can chat with people while im hunting. A server that can also have people to teach me the ropes once i reach lv 10 since i know its all solo till then ( from readings) i plan on staying with FFXI for many many years, i just want to have a place to call home

I hope to see you all soon in Vana'Diel

Re: Brand new to FFXI

I assume you're utilizing hyperbole in your first paragraph. If not, you might want to visit a doctor.

Welcome to FFXI and to the FFXIOnline community.

There is nothing wrong with WHM for a new player. I'm not sure what gave you that impression. Any of the six starting jobs are appropriate to start on.

As for your server choice, Leviathan is as good as any other. All servers are pretty much the same. There aren't any general channels (save /say and /shout) so you won't see a lot of chatter going on outside of your Linkshell (guild), or private tells with another individual.

Comment

Yo, I recently returned to Final Fantasy XI after a long break...and I'll tell you a few things that you really should know.

First, this is NOT an American MMORPG. Do you know what the difference between an American MMORPG and an Asian MMORPG is? The amount of time you put into grinding. Second, the learning curve to this game is worse than Anarchy Online and EvE Online put together.

Ok, with the negatives aside. This is the only game that I've ever played where after your first party in Valkurm Dunes and you head back to your home town, you actually feel like you're home! It wasn't just me who thought this, my girl friend and my brother who were playing the game for the first time with me felt the samething.

Just make sure you don't get sucked into this game and forget about your life, this game is worse than WoW sometimes.

By the way, I'm on server Ifrit if you want to come.

Comment

Originally posted by tarumaru23 View Post
        I know WHM arent supposed to be for the new person
        I would always recommend to a new player to consider leveling White Mage first; even if later the player finds another job more interesting, using /WHM as support job helps out with leveling low level jobs, getting around in dangerous area (for spells Sneak and Invisible), and is used in exp parties by other mage jobs.

You made a good choice.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

FFXI is definitely a global MMO. And you obviously haven't played many asain MMOs...FFXI's 'grinding' is nothing compared to a lot of them. KAL online? The most hardcore NA fans are *still* only in their 70s, whereas in FFXI it's possible (although definitely not on the first time around) to get 75 in a few weeks (as shown by the post-TAU leveling craze) The average player could probably get to 75 within their first 3-6 months, depending on time per day, and what equipment quality they desire.

As for a new job, MNK is generally the best if you have NO idea how the game works. If all you know is what you've read in a strategy guide and in the instruction book, MNK is definitely a solid choice, as it is fairly robust and very forgiving. Not to mention in the early levels it's very 'fire and forget', so you get to know how the battle system works and how monsters react. If you've played some at a friend's house, and still want to get a more overall view of how things work, try RDM. They're the sturdiest of the mages (at least that you can use for awhile), so you get more of an idea how spells work. If you're more interested in leveling fast, although you really shouldn't, level WHM if you want to play mage jobs, WAR if you want to play melee jobs. Those are the two most useful subjobs in the game, especially before ROTZ extra jobs.

Really though, play what seems fun. There's always time to go to your house and change your job with no penalty.

Comment

I would start with BLM, and then when you get to 18 and do the subjob quest, change over to WHM/BLM. That way, it makes leveling WHM from levels 1-10 so much easier and you can level WHM all the way up to 37 then decide if you want to keep a BLM sub or change over to SMN sub.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

I appreciate the posts and i have made a few friends on Leviathan :D People there are really friendly all i really needed to do was throw them a heal while they were resting and that got coversation started. So i hope u guys add me in the playonline viewer under this name "tarumaru23" and keep in touch :D

Comment

Originally posted by tarumaru23 View Post
                I know WHM arent supposed to be for the new person but i really enjoy healing and i am interested in becoming later on of course a WHM/BLU or a WHM/SMN.
                Says who?

First of all, you should not be discouraged as to what negative things people have to say about certain race and job combinations. You can be a WHM if you want to. Go for it. Don't listen to the elitists.

I don't know about WHM/BLU, but WHM/SMN is a nice choice, as SMN sub gives you more MP than subbing BLM. Best of luck and hope you enjoy your stay in the game.

Comment

If you want a great piece of advice, being a new player, I can tell you this:

Play RDM to 75 as your first job. Sub WHM. In effect, RDM is the strongest job in the entire game that is able to virtually solo anything by itself. That includes quests and missions.

In addition, playing RDM is a hybrid type of job. You are multi-faceted, able to cast both white and black magic spells and melee.

You can solo practically every AF quest that exists in the game with RDM.

Be a RDM first. It will open up doors to you that other jobs consider closed.

Comment

I personally chose WHM because I like the idea of having the option to heal myself at the earlier levels, instead of having to wait on someone else to run by and do it for me. I'm a pretty big fan of independence, so the job just fit.. and it's been useful to others since reaching the dunes. I've had no problems learning it, and it's my first job. Don't know who told you it isn't good to start on, but.... they lied. lol.

^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Shinhiryu_Kage View Post
                      Play RDM to 75 as your first job. Sub WHM. In effect, RDM is the strongest job in the entire game that is able to virtually solo anything by itself. That includes quests and missions.
                      Strongest? Sure, if "potentially able to solo many things very, very slowly" means "the strongest".

Teamwork is an important and enjoyable part of this game--don't get too hanged up on being able to solo. Especially as a new player, spending time in parties for exp and quests and missions is a fun way to learn the ropes.

Be a RDM first. It will open up doors to you that other jobs consider closed.
                      Nah. Play what interests you, and play it well. Don't worry too much about the order of jobs to level, either. It's a perfectly fine idea to level every job to 10, first, and sell all the monster drops for Gil--that way, when you decide to level a job further, you'll have money for very decent equipment and food.

Don't be shy about asking for equipment advices in various job forums, either; plenty of posters here love helping out new players.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                        Strongest? Sure, if "potentially able to solo many things very, very slowly" means "the strongest".

Teamwork is an important and enjoyable part of this game--don't get too hanged up on being able to solo. Especially as a new player, spending time in parties for exp and quests and missions is a fun way to learn the ropes.
                        At least your consistent on here.

That's not what I said. I didn't mention anything about soloing to level up for xp. I meant, specficially, quests and missions. For the majority of the jobs, RDM can solo the coffer keys and coffers and NMs for the af1-3. Plus, RDM can solo just about every mission for rank. RDM can solo Avatar post 60 battles around lvl 70ish +. RDM can duo with another job (such as a NIN or another RDM) alot of cop missions, aht urghan, and alot of other quests and NMs that usually take a party or an alliance. RDM is key in several BCNM, KSNM, which make you money.

It's -extremely- handy and useful to have RDM job lvd to 75. I was just pointing that out in case the new guy wanted to consider playing that.

Nah. Play what interests you, and play it well. Don't worry too much about the order of jobs to level, either. It's a perfectly fine idea to level every job to 10, first, and sell all the monster drops for Gil--that way, when you decide to level a job further, you'll have money for very decent equipment and food.

Don't be shy about asking for equipment advices in various job forums, either; plenty of posters here love helping out new players.
                        No one is dictating anything that anyone should do. Why do people have such issues with understanding basic concepts? lol Obviously, ppl should do what they want. I was just suggesting that playing RDM first would make his experience alot easier. I know first hand. But yes, play what is fun. That's common sense that didn't need to be reiterated.

Comment

At least your consistent on here.

That's not what I said. I didn't mention anything about soloing to level up for xp. I meant, specficially, quests and missions. For the majority of the jobs, RDM can solo the coffer keys and coffers and NMs for the af1-3. Plus, RDM can solo just about every mission for rank. RDM can solo Avatar post 60 battles around lvl 70ish +. RDM can duo with another job (such as a NIN or another RDM) alot of cop missions, aht urghan, and alot of other quests and NMs that usually take a party or an alliance. RDM is key in several BCNM, KSNM, which make you money.

It's -extremely- handy and useful to have RDM job lvd to 75. I was just pointing that out in case the new guy wanted to consider playing that.
                          Curious for input from experienced players on this topic.. would a 75BST/WHM be a better or worse (or maybe pretty much the same, just a little different) job choice for the purpose stated above?

Comment

Better or worse, depending on the mobs in question. BST/WHM can solo very well, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                              Better or worse, depending on the mobs in question. BST/WHM can solo very well, though.
                              What kind of situations would a BST/ fair worse than a RDM/?

Comment

Working...
                              X