where did all the tanks go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did all the tanks go?

My problem is different than the guy with the WHM problem...I can find those I just can't find anyone who wants to tank on my server. My summoner is lvl 41(not that Summoner is easy to get invites with) so I go to make my own and I see no Ninjas, Pallys or even a stray warrior on seek!

I rank my Tanks if I'm looking:

1. Ninja- I hate main healing because I'm a Summoner and see this as the job of real WHMs or perhaps an RDM companion. A coupls of shadows means I don't have to cure as much.

2. Palidin- yeah they cure themsevles...I love that!

3. Warrior- got pegged as a DD as of late but a stray one or two can still tank.

(I just can't find any of these people)
    Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
    (have fun MMO players ^^)
    Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Re: where did all the tanks go?

Yeah I'm having the same problem trying to level my 49 drk. Either there's no rdm / brd, no tank, no healer or a glut of other more preferred DDs.

Comment

I think part of the reason is you are past 37. I imagine most people who have a desire to take NIN farther than SJ level have already done so. As a WAR I love Tanking - but I haven't been asked to do so since Valkurm Dunes. People tend to forget that a WAR can tank if they prepare for it properly.
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi
      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

This is totally off topic and I apologize for it, but shadow, what IS that CUTE!!!!!!!!!! (ZOMG) little thing in your avatar pic?
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          This is totally off topic and I apologize for it, but shadow, what IS that CUTE!!!!!!!!!! (ZOMG) little thing in your avatar pic?
          Looks like a Pokemon.
          FFXIV Balmung Server
          Tenro Matashi
          PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko View Post
            My problem is different than the guy with the WHM problem...I can find those I just can't find anyone who wants to tank on my server. My summoner is lvl 41(not that Summoner is easy to get invites with) so I go to make my own and I see no Ninjas, Pallys or even a stray warrior on seek!

I rank my Tanks if I'm looking:

1. Ninja- I hate main healing because I'm a Summoner and see this as the job of real WHMs or perhaps an RDM companion. A coupls of shadows means I don't have to cure as much.

2. Palidin- yeah they cure themsevles...I love that!

3. Warrior- got pegged as a DD as of late but a stray one or two can still tank.

(I just can't find any of these people)
            Well, part of the problem is that you already "rate" other jobs. If you're turning away jobs because you don't like to main heal, then you can expect a difficult time finding/building PTs. Since you want to play a certain way, you'll have to build a PT around your desired function.

I might prefer a NIN tank as COR or BRD, but that's not always an option that's open. And if you're holding out for a RDM or BRD when a COR is seeking, you're only robbing yourself of time.

I remember when people would hold up completing a PT setup just because they wanted an RNG (this was back before the nerf in CoP). I sometimes left a PT before we left Jeuno because leaders would wait up do a half hour for a RNG to pop. It was infuriating. And don't get me started on how that inflated RNG egos.

Comment

hm, yeah. When I took my RDM and BLM through valkurm this month I noticed a decrease in tanking jobs. Maybe nobody wants to tank anymore?

But really...you shouldnt complain about the tanks. They all have their ups and downs. As a RDM, I liked PLD since I didnt cure alot, and with NINs you have to cure anyways.

Comment

where did all the tanks go?
                Iraq?

All kidding aside, I have noticed this trend as well, but I've found that parties have been better lately so it all balances out.

And I think some of them went to Afghanistan, too.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

With only two to three real tanking jobs in the game, it's not surprising that they are hard to come by. Most people who are leveling tanks get snatched up really quickly, leaving everyone else standing around waiting for another to "spawn". The best way to get around the dearth of tanks? Level a tank job yourself.

Comment

We're all busy leveling NIN sub because the norm now is TP burns.

That or they're like me and leveling RDM >___________>.
                    Cleverness - Hades
                    75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                    DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

im PLD and i love tank but i think that if u cant find a pld a nin or a war/nin maybe u can ask a mnk the high VIT make them good tanks with a good whm or rdm healing so dont close the door to other jobs i hv seen brd/nin tanking so keep serching boy /cheer

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
                        im PLD and i love tank but i think that if u cant find a pld a nin or a war/nin maybe u can ask a mnk the high VIT make them good tanks with a good whm or rdm healing so dont close the door to other jobs i hv seen brd/nin tanking so keep serching boy /cheer
                        The "open mindedness" on tanks is hard to crack on both sides. Not only do many people avoid WAR/MNK blood tanks like the plague, but it's often hard to convince a WAR to tank. I'm guessing it's even rarer to find a MNK (especially ones past lvl 37) who would be willing to blood tank.

Unless you find one who's into counter tanking. I'm sure a pimped out MNK who has tons of gil sunk into +counter gear would love the opportunity to show off by main tanking.
                        Lyonheart
                        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post

off topic: It's a cute little dragon from an Anime called "Dragon Drive" and I own the DVDs ^^

On topic: I just sorta ranked the tanks. I'll invite anything for DDs as long as I have 1 good tank and some good mages. Then again I'll settle for anyone tanking XD
                          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                          (have fun MMO players ^^)
                          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

I used to joke that PLD would be my bloodwarp job and I'd never level it. I started it up though recently and am really enjoying it. I put it on hold for a bit to level WHM, but I think I may actually take PLD to 75 some day.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

It's kind of sad. I keep VIT gear around for my WAR on the off chance someone will be desperate enough to let me tank as WAR/MNK at level 73 (after all, most mobs are VT anyway, perfect WAR/MNK fodder). But the last few times I've been in a party and offered, the leaders preferred to wait 30+ minutes for a "real" tank (i.e NIN, or grudgingly PLD) to pop. Oh well, I guess if people want me to be a mindless killer, I can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                              X