Dagger & Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dagger & Sword

No competition here, i know. Both have their uses, dependant on job.

However, Dagger has really started to impress me. I left my Dagger skill at 16 for a loooooong time, till i recently skilled it up to 128.

The WS's are cool, not overly sure about DMG output? They are lower DPS than my swords but it seems to take same amount of time to melee a mob down, plus Cyclone/Gust Slash tends to hit for more than mty sword WS's (only up to Shining BLade)

Just wanted to find out everyone's other preferences vs the 2 thats all.

Im not 100% but I also think my skillups are coming much faster on the Dagger? Iv since overtaken my sword skill, and Sword has been my main all the way through my RDM career.

ALso, whats up with Viper Bite? It sucks!! I know on a crit (like SA) it deals some nice dmg but alone, its really really bad. Or am I missing something?

Just a boredom rant, over now, gonna go grab another coffee. ^^

Oh, and I know its best to keep both at hand, but im talking about if you really really had to choose 1 of them.
    Dagger
    30.65%
    Sword
    69.35%

Re: Dagger & Sword

most dagger skills until dancing edge are horrible w/o SA. that's just how it is. but given the fact that sata-viperbite is the most damaging ws until 55 with sidewinder/slugshot, i think its ok :p
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Situational uses for each. As you said, it really depends on the job, level, and situation - I couldn't pick just one unless you told me those things.

Lower delay weapons will always skill up faster than higher delay weapons, as you swing more often, thus giving more opportunity to gain skill.
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi
      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

I think the Dagger WS's are quite good tbh, overall.

Or maybe its mob specific. I was skilling up on Doom Scorps in ALtep, and Gust Slash on 200-300% would yield around 260ish dmg, and Cyclone a lil bit more.

Shining Strike/Fast Blade/Burning Blade didnt quite get over 200ish.

Dancing Edge is only a THF iirc Maybe Ill have to lvl THF just to use it a few times XD

Its just amazing how a 300% Viper hits for like 60 and then add a Crit to it and you're looking hundreds...

Wise, I know its is very very situational, thats why I tried to generalise it as much as possible by asking "if you had to pick one". Some people will be able to outright say they prefer one over another, whilst some cant/wont. Thats ok though.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
          Wise, I know its is very very situational, thats why I tried to generalise it as much as possible
          FFXIV Balmung Server
          Tenro Matashi
          PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Sword-chucks yo!
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I've only gotten THF to level 25 so far on my mule and for it I've bounced back and forth between sword and dagger skilling both up along the way.

The coolest thing I've noticed so far is that by raising dagger it raises your parry skill more frequently, this is really awesome because with a higher parry skill after raising thf when I raise my mnk or my WAR I parry quite often while tanking.

Also, early on when leveling a job (between 1-10) when you're soloing the higher parry is great because it just adds to your survivabillity.

Comment

Totally situational. As a RDM it depends on what mobs I'm fighting, and what subjob I'm using. I use Dagger a bit more than sword while solo though, I've found. But when/if I get a Joytoy, it would change to sword.

Comment

Swords look better then daggers when I'm running around.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Dual shields ftw.

Comment

If you really recognize that the answer is totally situational depending on your mob targets, subjob, level and camp then you must also realise that any "generalised" answer would be meaningless. It's like asking "Which is better: doors or windows?"
                      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

The clear answer is French Doors, Taskmage.

Comment

For a house, sure. For my car I would definately have to choose windows, since I could still get in and be able to drive without hanging my head out an open door, but it would be damn inconvenient if I wanted to give any overweight, elderly or handicapped people a ride, not to mention cargo.

Of course, if I had any sense I would demand my car come with doors and windows. Similarly, swords and daggers are both capped on my rdm. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                            For a house, sure. For my car I would definately have to choose windows, since I could still get in and be able to drive without hanging my head out an open door, but it would be damn inconvenient if I wanted to give any overweight, elderly or handicapped people a ride, not to mention cargo.
                            You'd get better gas milage if you kept the windows closed and used the AC instead. Doors are the clear winner.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Well of course I'd close the windows after I got in. Besides, how aerodynamic would the car be with a big door in the front?

Comment

Working...
                              X