Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Elitists

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
    Perhaps the issue is over when you start asking questions about pt setup, and not over the fact that you ask them at all. If you ask questions about the pt setup before you accept the invite, it's reasonable for the pt leader to conclude that you're basing your decision on the answers to those questions.
    If you instead replied with an affirmative, and then asked about the pt setup, the pt leader might respond a bit differently. If they are still combative and accusatory, you could still retract your acceptance, and it would be based on something other than the pt setup itself. "I said yes, but I changed my mind. I want to pt with civil people who can communicate without a major bad attitude."
    Either way you come off as an asshole to that person for some reason or another in their head then they come on down here and post a Topic about how your an elistest prick, dont post your name but always end up doing so after a couple of replies and in most cases just end up showing everyone they are just newbs that dont like advice or anyone questioning anything they do.
    75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
    Woodworking 91.9+2
    ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

If someone is going to take issue with my asking a few questions before agreeing to join a party, then I don't need to join that party, I guess.

Seriously. If you aren't willing to answer:

1.) What is the party setup?

2.) What subjob would you prefer I use?

3.) How long do you expect to exp?

Then I don't need to join your party. Usually I only ask the first two, but sometimes I'll ask all three. Regardless, most people never respond after the first one, so I just go on my way and don't worry about them.

Comment

Sometimes a valid party setup would still fail too, for other reasons. I used to ask questions about party before I accept invite too, but now I would just join the party. With the EN parties that trend to look for replacement during the xp session, the party setup can be changed anytime. Just give the party a few battles to settle down, to adjust, to work out. With a little effort and teamwork, usually the party can roll just fine, even if it is not the best exp. If things does not work out, reform the group, or find replacement, etc. The worst case just disband the party.

I rarely form my own party, unless I really want to gain exp, and the jobs that LFG can form a decent party setup. Usually when I send /tell ask for PT invite, I would say someting like: {Hello!} {Party} ^^? We have <job1> <job2> <job3> (3/6)
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Of course a normal party setup can still fail, but I like to know if I'm the only healer, or what kind of tank I'm going to be dealing with before even leaving town. I don't like to waste my time heading to the camp only to find myself heading back after a couple of fights if things don't work out. Honestly, I'm better off just staying where I am in that case.

Comment

I always form a party if I see a decent amount of players with good mix of jobs seeking :O

It annoys me a lot when I see there's brd seeking... and the PT leader go ahead and pick another DD and we end up with DD DD DD DD magex2 at level 30 -.-
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Agree with Murphie and Aeolus, I ask beforehand in order to gauge the leader's attitude just as much, if not more, than the actual response. If they're not willing to answer a perfectly normal question, then it gives me serious misgivings about their potential as a party leader. If they're going to flip out and call me an "elitist prick" for asking these things, then I have to wonder how they're going to handle someone disagreeing with something farther down the line in the party. What happens if the mob they try to fight doesn't give as much experience as some would like and they voice their opinion? What if someone screws up and the leader dies because of it? If they can't control their temper over a couple questions, then I can't really expect them to control it in a little more trying situation. After three years of seeing it in parties, I'm just sick and tired of playing babysitter to party members acting like two year olds.
              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

"Accepting" an invite isn't signing a contract in blood. The approach I was suggesting is something like the following:

1. If the person asks if you want a pt, and you are indeed seeking with flag up, search comment etc (as opposed to getting a random invite when you aren't even seeking), then answer "yes". It's the truth, after all.

2. Don't leave town yet.

3. THEN ask about the pt setup, and what subjob they would prefer you use.
                3a. If you don't like the party set up, or feel some hostility, tell them you changed your mind, and be honest about the reasons for doing so.
                3b. If you don't agree with their subjob recommendation, give them your reasons why you think a different choice is better. If they still won't bend, feel free to go back to 3a above.

4. Change to the appropriate subjob, grab the appropriate gear and supplies, and head out to camp.
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I see no reason to say "Yes", then after a few questions say "Never mind." I just look like a dick when I do that.

Comment

I see where you're coming from, but personally, I'd rather not get their hopes up, then join the party only to leave a minute later.
                    I always put {/tell}{please} in my search comment. I put it there to open the lines of communication before an invite is even sent. They ask if I want to join their party which leads into me asking a few, harmless questions. I don't bombard them with questions right from the start. I usually just ask where. Then, after they answer, I'll ask what sub they would prefer. I've also found that the ones who have an opinion on what I sub, rather than just saying "I don't care.", often know a lot more about whats going on and have a legitiment reason for recommending the subjob they suggested.
                    I agree, sending sequential /tells of What? Who? When? Where? would be very rude and that alone could put a party leader off wanting to invite you. Thats why I say to just chill out, ask calmly, wait for an answer, then ask your next question.
                    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

"Accepting" an invite isn't signing a contract in blood. The approach I was suggesting is something like the following:
                      1. If the person asks if you want a pt, and you are indeed seeking with flag up, search comment etc (as opposed to getting a random invite when you aren't even seeking), then answer "yes". It's the truth, after all.
                      No it's not. While in general I may want an EXP party, until they answer some questions I don't know if I want to party with *them*

3. THEN ask about the pt setup, and what subjob they would prefer you use.
                      3a. If you don't like the party set up, or feel some hostility, tell them you changed your mind, and be honest about the reasons for doing so.
                      3b. If you don't agree with their subjob recommendation, give them your reasons why you think a different choice is better. If they still won't bend, feel free to go back to 3a above.
                      As has been said, this does make you look like an ass. Asking questions before hand is only going to insult people you didn't want to party with anyway. This way pisses everyone off.

BTW OT, I was starting to think Murphie was dead.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I took a break from the game for a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                          Usually when I send /tell ask for PT invite, I would say someting like: {Hello!} {Party} ^^? We have <job1> <job2> <job3> (3/6)
                          >_> If I get a /tell like that while seeking, I'd jump all over it with a {Yes, please.} and three smilies before that leader has a chance to reconsider inviting this gimped geared RDM with a tendency to get lost on the way to camp. <_<;

Sadly, I think I've received that kind of party invite from NA leadrers on any job about twice in the last six months. Most are just "{Party}?" or "PT?", with a small number naming the camp zone (but not the exp mob). Quite a few of them didn't even bother to type the question mark; a random "PT", then a minute later, "u thr". -_-#

JP leader are so much more polite and helpful in their invite messages...
                          Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

JP leader are so much more polite and helpful in their invite messages...
                            I dunno about that. Most send me a little happy face with a (Hello!) (Party?), some will send me a long spat of kanji of which I only know about 3 or 4, and unless the camp has to do with a river, tree, wind, or shopping, and maybe going out somewhere, I won't know what they're saying

Normally when I send an invite it'll be something like, (Excuse me) (Experiance points party), (Do you need it?) @ (job1) (job2) (job3) (job4) (job5)

I'll have an idea where I want to exp, and I'll check before hand to make sure there is enough room to party there. Then once everyone joins I'll say, "Ok, I'm thinking that we party at X on Y, does anyone have any preferences for alterenate exp spots? Ok, grab what you need and make sure you have XYZ because of ABC"

Since I am the party leader it's my duty to make sure everyone knows what they need before going out. If it's a zone with alot of magic aggro melee cannot count on mages for sneak/invis, if we're fighting Raptors the whm needs Viruna, Anticans it's best if the mages bring Echo Drops and so on. There is alot to being a party leader, more than just tossing a party together and running off to some camp at any rate.

I don't see a problem with asking what the party setup is, or where the camp is. Depending on the camp I will either bring +acc food or +att food, normally I'll bring both but if I know before hand that I can hit the mobs pretty well already, and we'll have a bard singing a +acc song, I'm bringing yellow curry or something similar.

Normally though I'll just join a party when I get an invite, I haven't had a bad party in awhile now, but if I've had a bunch of bad parties with people who had no clue with what they were doing, then I would start asking again.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I tend to agree more with the JP statments, espically in how the pty is setup when i'm the only NA member. =x At any rate, NA exps imho is getting more elitist and TP burn crazy by the day, nor do they take notice to subs or /seacoms. Usually i'd just go lfp if i'm on rdm or whm with drg or war sub to see if they can take notice, as a test to see if i should accept. Over all, the ones that don't notice or say anything usually ends up into the worse parties >_>; ones that do notice, rocks.

Today for example, this cor, was saying nothing is better in a party than a rdm, himself and 4 dds. He goes "lolpup, lolmnk and lolthf" when we were lfm. And even lolwhm -.-; And our leader a blu who was willingly to main heal (blu/whm when i joined), d/c (possibly forced d/c) cause of that cors attidute. So we ended up getting sam, making me go from refresh/backup heal/dd/enfeebler rdm/war to main heal. Luckily >_> kills were fast and safe for my mp and the pld knew how to manage his mp per cure. Still, just the attidutes from thinking they're way is the best way and won't try the others or acknowlegde their member's /seacom & subs to go with the setup or personal prefence on how they can effectively do their job is getting out of hand.

One thing I wonder is how would the game change if we could only to the /autogroup system for exp?
                              Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

I don't usually ask for PT set up but it is definitely handy to know before you make your desicion. I do /sea all leader everytime I got a tell at least. And I only join if the leader answers my /tell .... I avoid leaders that don't talk or talk in broken english perosnally.

Err well except JP leaders. At least gilsellers don't /tell to you in japanese.

JP Parties can be nice and I try to get in one or form one whenever possible. However, there are still so many JP only going on these days. My nin, from 35 to 45, most JPs I found were JP only. Well because I can type in JP I have no problem but I can see it being a problem for many more people.
                                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                                X