Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A relative gave my friend 10mil gil for Christmas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A relative gave my friend 10mil gil for Christmas...

What should she do? My friends says that she logged in to the game to find 10mil gil in her inbox, and comes to find out a well-intentioned (but obviously ill-informed) relative has purchased gil for her character for Christmas. My first thought was to call a GM and try to explain, but I don't know how trusting they would be of that explanation. I sure wouldn't want to get banned for trying to be honest. I don't think there's a way to 'drop' gil, is there? Anyway, her predicament got me thinking and hoping none of my relatives decided to buy gil for me...

What would you do if you had this happen?
    Nibblonian: "You are the last hope of the universe."
    Fry: "So I really am important? How I feel when I'm drunk is correct?"
    Nibblonian: "Yes, except the Dave Matthews Band doesn't rock."'

Sisqi ~Fairy~WHM 75
    PLD 60 RDM 54 BLM 48

Re: A relative gave my friend 10mil gil for Christmas...

in the inbox thjeres a "drop" button for stuff sent to you

Comment

Interesting, since one person can only send you 1m at a time.
      Unless there were 10 spots, all of 1m each, and that would truly be interesting.
      I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Caspian, I don't know the details of how it appeared in her inbox, but that would be good to know. In any case, the amount of gil is not what caused me to ponder this question, but the ethics of what to do.

And Anaki, I didn't realize there was a 'drop' selection for the inbox. Mostly I only ever look at the 'take' or whatever it is you select to get stuff out of it. I'm usually wanting whatever is in my inbox. ^^

Sisqi ~Fairy~WHM 75
        PLD 60 RDM 54 BLM 48

Comment

You really can't have 10M in your inbox. Your friend is already lieing about that part I wouldn't be surprised if "a friend bought it" was a lie too. But w/e.

Your friend can always trade the gil back to whoever claimed to give him/her the gil. There's even a "return" button in the inbox if he/she really doesn't want it so that question about what to do with the gil shouldn't even had to be asked. I think he/she is just wanting someone help him/her feel better by giving the "hey you already got it just use it" comments.

Sorry I'm a bit negative on this story....
          Last edited by Jei; 12-24-2006, 12:31 PM.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
            I think he/she is just wanting someone help him/her feel better by giving the "hey you already got it just use it" comments.
            That could very well be the case. Or the whole thing could be a fabrication...10mil gil and all. I didn't know there was a cap at 1mil per inbox slot. Maybe more than one RMT set her the gil? I've had overflow of my inbox before, when I get items back from the AH and from my mule, and I have to go through and empty it more than once to clear it. That could explain the 10 slot thing.

I didn't doubt this person's word because she seems to be very much a game purist- hates PLs, RMT, people who are gimped and should know better, etc.

Anyway, now I know what to do if I found millions of gil in my inbox from an unknown person; "Return to Sender."

edited to add: How many slots are in the inbox anyway? I can't remember. -_-;

Sisqi ~Fairy~WHM 75
            PLD 60 RDM 54 BLM 48

Comment

edited to add: How many slots are in the inbox anyway? I can't remember. -_-;
              8 iirc

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Wow, moral dilemma much.

Personally, I'd take the gil, and either spend it *very* carefully, or maybe share it amongst my friends. I don't think there's a return policy for bought gil, and rather than have that money go to waste, you may as well try to help yourself (and maybe others) out.

But for the love of god, try not to spend it on anything provided by RMT like shiehei on the jeuno AH > - >
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I think the only safe thing to do would be to call a GM, since they're tracking gil movements and such now and 10M just showed up in your inbox. If you're not worried about getting caught that way you can either consider the damage already done and go ahead and spend it responsibly or refuse the ill-gotten gain and drop the money. Returning it to the sender would just be giving the RMT free money, since they already got their cash and if you return it they don't even lose anything.

If it's already been taken out of the inbox you can either send it to yourself in 1M increments and drop it from your inbox to dispose of it or buy something very expensive from an NPC like Vir/Femina Subligar and then drop the item.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I highly doubt 10 diffrent gilselling mules wuld hold up their delivery boxes to give one person gil when their are lots of others wanting gil to... I think your friend is lying to some extent, as the gil HAS to be traded nowadays. They might have or have not bought it, but inbox? Thats a lie.
                    Originally posted by Ellipses
                    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                    Originally posted by MCLV
                    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                    More Sig:

Comment

Sounds fishy to me, I mean the relative would need the character name and sever which isn't something they'd know unless they played the game themselves (in which case they ought to know better) or your friend has given them the info specifically for the purpose of buying the gil.

But assuming it is genuine I think a GM is probably the way to go too. Only a complete idiot would spend cash on 10M gil then turn themselves in. And if her account has been flagged as suspicious then this might help clear the black mark on it. Returning it would be worth thing to do as this would just double the RMTs profits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                        You really can't have 10M in your inbox. Your friend is already lieing about that part I wouldn't be surprised if "a friend bought it" was a lie too. But w/e.
                        If 10 chaaracters each sent you 1 million gil you would then have 8million in your inbox and when you took or returned 2 1million slots the other 2 1 million would pop in.

Your friend may be in a damned if you do damned if you don't position. Before she took any gil out of the delivery box she should write down the names of the senders. IF she were to contact a GM it would be best to provide that information, not that I am saying she should. It is entirely her choice to make seeing that either way she goes she may be hanging herself.
                        Last edited by Rai; 12-24-2006, 03:26 PM.
                        Sergeant Major
                        75PLD | 75NIN | 50RNG | 40BST | 37WAR | 37RDM | 35THF | 26SAM | 22MNK |
                        22DRG | 22DRK | 22WHM | 20BLM | 11COR | 13BRD | 10BLU | 08PUP | 01SMN |
                        Carbuncle | Diabolos | Fenrir | Garuda | Ifrit | Leviathan | Ramuh | Shiva | Titan

Comment

errr you can go onto IGE, and choose to purchase 10 million gil. It's business, if the buyer says 10 mil, you send 10 mil. It's not the customer's problem to worry about details that would bottleneck their happiness. There are thousands of RMT characters, it's easy to have more than one send a mil.

And yeah, it seems strange but if I were her, I'd call a GM and say "I received 10 mil gil in my delivery box, and I have a feeling a relative purchased it for me against my wishes." Thus, the GMs are aware it wasn't her idea, yet she can still go ahead and spend her new-found money.

Seriously, that's what I'd do. I hate RMT very very much, but I'm still poor. If I got gil in my delivery box, even against my wishes, I'd prolly spend it. As far as I knew, good people repay by spreading the love. If she doesn't buy you stuff, report her.
                          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                            errr you can go onto IGE, and choose to purchase 10 million gil.
                            Yes, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to send 10 million gil, so the mules meet you in game and trade it to you(Jeuno, I know this cuz I've seen "Thank you for using XXXXX, NAME" in say). You can only send gil to ONE person at a time, and you can only send up to ONE million to that one person.

Tell them to stop lieing to you. They knowingly accepted it from a trade.

Now is this post for/against RMT? No. Do I use RMT services? No.

Point of this post: Your friend is a lier.
                            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                              Seriously, that's what I'd do. I hate RMT very very much, but I'm still poor. If I got gil in my delivery box, even against my wishes, I'd prolly spend it. As far as I knew, good people repay by spreading the love. If she doesn't buy you stuff, report her.
                              Damn right. Let "her" call the GM explain the situation and keep the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X