Pebble... UNLEASHED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble... UNLEASHED!

The pebble. Some may say it is the most worthless item in the game. Regardless, I think it's important to understand the pebble in its entirety.

First of all, where can you get your hands on one of these beauties? Well, they are listed on the AH under weapon> ammo/misc. You could always buy yourself a stack of 12 pebbles, but all of us frugal ffxi players know the AH is no place to find items for the hardcore player. We go out and get them!

So, where to look? (mining)

First, you can mine them. The best part about hanging out in a mine for a true-hardcore pebble fanatic is you can often get deals from miners who see pebbles as mearly "taking up space." How foolish of them! I recommend a shout with something along the lines of:

"(Pebble)(Do you have it?)(Can I have it?)(Lower the price?)"

You can also mine them yourself. To mine, make sure you have a pickaxe. Then, make a macro that says "/item "Pickaxe" <t>". Unfortunately, to get maximum pebbles, you will need to invest in mining gear, which reduces the chance of breaking pickaxes, and of course you will need to buy the pickaxes themselves. I recommend lvling a craft to a very high lvl (90+) to fund your pebble-hunting.

I don't want to mine

You lazy bastard! Well, barring mining, you can always fight for your pebbles.

They are dropped off of Bullbeggars (Level: 78 - 80) (Den of Rancor), Coastal Opo-opos (Level: 36 - 39) (Bibiki Bay - Purgonorgo Isle), Mischievous Micholas (Level: 55) (Yuhtunga Jungle), Old Opo-opo (Level: 61 - 65) (Ifrit's Cauldron), Temple Opo-opos (Level: 51 - 54) (Temple of Uggalepih) and Young Opo-opos (Level: 34 - 44) (Yhoator Jungle, Yuhtunga Jungle).

So, barring Bullbeggers, you will be doing alot of monkey-fighting to get your hands on some pebbles. Most pebble-fanatics really like fighting for their pebbles, because it gives them a real rush!

Besides mining and fighting, you can also synth you're own pebbles. All you need is Bonecraft lvled to at least 18, using a wind crystal and a shall shell. EASY!

Another way to get pebbles is to steal them from worms. Although a true pebble-enthusiast may consider this less honorable or exciting then killing lvl 34-80 monsters, it is still a viable way to obtain pebbles, and if you're like me, you can never have enough!

Still another way to obtain pebbles is by chocobo digging. You can dig these up in many different areas, and best of all, you can do this with lvl1 choco-digging skill!

I found a flint stone. Is that a pebble?

Lol, no. Flint stones are not pebbles (although, oddly, they are used to make "pebble soup"). Flint stones are pretty much worthless, although there are two repeatable quests which grant 100 gil each for 4 flint stones, which you can in turn use to buy more pickaxes.

Ok, I have my pebble, now what

Well, you can trade them with friends. Do this by selecting your friend and then choosing the "trade" option. Put in a pebble, and they can put in their pebble, and then you both click ok. This is really fun!

I don't like trading, what else can I do with a pebble?

Well, some jobs are lucky enough to actually use pebbles in combat (or unlucky- Do you really want to be literally THROWING THESE BEAUTIES AWAY?). These jobs are Bard, Beastmaster, Black Mage, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Monk, Ninja, Ranger, Summoner, Thief, Warrior, White Mage.

Pebbles have a base damage of 5 and a delay of 276. Sure, it's not spectacular, but you can theoritically kill a lvl 75 monster only using pebbles, if you had a couple days to play, a group to heal you, are playing a tanking job, and have someone bring you extra stacks of pebbles. NOT BAD FOR A WEAPON YOU CAN EQUIP AT LVL 1!!!! (If you plan to do this, I recommend starting with at least 30 stacks of 12 pebbles. Make sure to have a friend use all 60 of his slots for pebbles, and, when he's trading them to you, have another friend ready with another 60 stacks. In fact, to be on the safe side, you may want to have at least 300 friends all carrying 60 stacks of pebbles) . This method of killing a monster with pebbles is known as the "trade and throw" method.

amendment #1: Pebble controversy

Some of my friends have been saying that pebbles are useful for pulling when they can't afford a better ranged weapon or can't equip one, and also for skilling up throwing from level 1. Is this true?

Your friends are right in that pebbles can be used to pull and also for skilling up throwing (what CAN'T they do?!) But really, think about it. Do you really want to be using pebbles for PULLING or SKILLING-UP?

One of the best things about the pebble is it's versitility. Personally, I enjoy trading pebbles too much to waste them on pulling or skilling up.

Wow, pebbles are AWESOME!

You're right, pebbles are awesome. But just because you have a pebble in your inventory, it doesn't give you the right to be verbally abusive to other players.

Remember the pebble-fanatic's code of honor:

Play smart. Play nice. Play with pebbles.
    Last edited by Hamlet; 08-02-2006, 07:08 PM.

Re: Pebble... UNLEASHED!

They only stack 12.

http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/3072

I'm actually quite a bit more curious about your signature than pebbles... Pebbles I've got (I've been Chocobo Digging), but what is the significance/source/purpose of the diagram and equations?
    Last edited by Sabaron; 08-02-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

They only stack 12.
      Thanks! Fixed! You must be a real pebble fanatic!

Comment

Oh I am. I get aroused when I gear up in my Worker's outfit and dig up like half a stack of them in Zeruhn mines all at once.

I have actually been known to throw them... Bees and Saplings are a pain in the butt to pull if all you've got is a melee weapon or don't want to nuke them and I believe they're the only throwing weapon of note that you can use at level 1 to skill up.

Comment

I have actually been known to throw them... Bees and Saplings are a pain in the butt to pull if all you've got is a melee weapon or don't want to nuke them and I believe they're the only throwing weapon of note that you can use at level 1 to skill up.
          Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend them for skilling up or pulling. Personally, I just like collecting them and trading them. Using them to skill up seems like a pretty big waste of pebbles to me.

Comment

Hmmm... but what do you do when your Inventory, Stash, Storage, and Mog Locker are all full of pebbles and you've already completed all of your storage quests and Gobbie Bags? I think this is a serious problem that SE needs to address by creating a Pebble Storage NPC so that you can get a 99-stackable ticket for every 8 stacks of pebbles you trade to him...

Comment

wahaha. I need to try this! I wonder if I can kill a gob with pebbles....
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Pebble pouches would be awesome! I think SE also needs to seriously consider answering the Pebble community with some new mini games. I mean, they giving us our own chocbos specificly for the purpose of having our own call-able pebble finder. I would like to see pebble skipping added to the game, as well as a collection of rare/ex pebbles (bcnm, isnm, enm, quests, etc.) in the shapes of various prominant characters. I know I would love to have a "Pebble in the shape of Bahamut's head" and a "Pebble that looks like Prish"

I would trade a lot of pebbles to get one that looked like Prishe!

Comment

wahaha. I need to try this! I wonder if I can kill a gob with pebbles....
                  Yes, you CAN kill a gob with pebbles! Depending on the level of the goblin and your gear/throwing skill, you may need a few stacks, and possibly a friend or two with 60 stacks of pebbles to trade to you when you start running low.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamlet
                    Yes, you CAN kill a gob with pebbles! Depending on the level of the goblin and your gear/throwing skill, you may need a few stacks, and possibly a friend or two with 60 stacks of pebbles to trade to you when you start running low.

Comment

I thought Pebbles was going to take her top off.

Maybe next time...

Comment

I have 10 pebbles in my inventory RIGHT NOW! I was thinking about hurling them at the Beetles in hopes they would drop more beetle shells, but I just can't part with my pebbles! I'm advising SE to have them stack to 99!

Beautifully written opening post! It brought tears of joy (*cough*laughter*cough*) to my eyes!

/em runs off to fish up Shall Shells...must...have...more...pebbles....
                        They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nakti
                          I have 10 pebbles in my inventory RIGHT NOW! I was thinking about hurling them at the Beetles in hopes they would drop more beetle shells, but I just can't part with my pebbles! I'm advising SE to have them stack to 99!

Beautifully written opening post! It brought tears of joy (*cough*laughter*cough*) to my eyes!

/em runs off to fish up Shall Shells...must...have...more...pebbles....
                          I agree, pebbles should so stack to 99. Right now I'm only carrying about an eighth (I think) of the pebbles I could be carrying if they stacked to 99. I really feel this cramps my trading style.

Also, pebbles are great accounting tools.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
                          If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
                          *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack
                            I thought Pebbles was going to take her top off.

Maybe next time...
                            Pedafile alert!

Comment

Umm okay?
                              FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix

Hililen
                              of the Diabolos server. Current residence:San d'Oria
                              40 MNK 22 WAR 15 BLM 13 WHM

Comment

Working...
                              X