Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play?

I started around 04' and couldnt help but give my character some meaning. I mean it gets boring for me just leveling a job with no real reason just cuz i think its cool. Little by little it grew to a full scale story (with a beginning and an end lol) mixed with a little bit of game story to make things more official lol ^_^; so now its 06' and still rocking with my character after all these years. Just wondering if anyone grew that sort of attachment to their characters?

Btw I set up a character journal too >_@
    if anyone is interested
    Sotama The Rune Shield Paladin

Paladin/Warrior

Ex-member of the once greatest LS ever

Forsaken Dragons

Re: Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play?

My LS forum has a section for "backgrounds" as well as a very active general RP section and a special section for our LS's current "RP Event" that we have from time to time.

I wrote a background from mine, and give my character (as well as a my mules) a "personality" of sorts that use from time to time when the mood suits me. Pookapooka for example, I RP when I'm feeling goofy and have a desire to annoy my LS with Taruspeak.

My mules really only have one character trait or two that I mention in passing. Since I don't level my mules, I have them all reason not to level. Chihuahua for example has a fixation for shiney things (thus a desire to adventure and get them) but also has an epileptic siezure everytime he sees something shiney. Magic and Job Abilities alike send him into a fit that makes leveling impossible. Pikkles has stolen his true love (my RL girlfriend's mule, Iscream) to Jeuno in order to get married to the temple... Only to find out you have to be level 20 to get married. So now he's stuck in Jeuno, too afraid of death to journy back to a lowbie zone to level. Finally, Pixiestix (my AH seller mule for crafting stuff) is too hyped on sugar, caffine, and sports a lovely bit of ADD.

Really, only my main has depth, and his personal story is woven into the overall metaplot of the game. Mostly though, its for the sake of the friends I play with that RP hardcore that I"ve come up with this stuff, more than any desire to RP.

Comment

Re: Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play?

I have in other games, because I played on dedicated Roleplaying servers, so there was a fair chance that the people I'd be interacting with would take an interest in stuff like that.

With FFXI, I don't, but that doesn't mean I couldn't work something out for my character in a short amount of time.

Comment

I tried a couple times, in my head, just for the hell of it. None of the little stories really stuck. My inner editorial process kept screaming "CLICHÉ!" (which happens a lot re: RPing and fan fiction). I could probably get a little closer now that I've kind of settled on WHM, but then the whole DRG/BRD thing comes out of left field and messes with that idea.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Re: Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play

Originally posted by sevenpointflaw
          My LS forum has a section for "backgrounds" as well as a very active general RP section and a special section for our LS's current "RP Event" that we have from time to time.

I wrote a background from mine, and give my character (as well as a my mules) a "personality" of sorts that use from time to time when the mood suits me. Pookapooka for example, I RP when I'm feeling goofy and have a desire to annoy my LS with Taruspeak.

My mules really only have one character trait or two that I mention in passing. Since I don't level my mules, I have them all reason not to level. Chihuahua for example has a fixation for shiney things (thus a desire to adventure and get them) but also has an epileptic siezure everytime he sees something shiney. Magic and Job Abilities alike send him into a fit that makes leveling impossible. Pikkles has stolen his true love (my RL girlfriend's mule, Iscream) to Jeuno in order to get married to the temple... Only to find out you have to be level 20 to get married. So now he's stuck in Jeuno, too afraid of death to journy back to a lowbie zone to level. Finally, Pixiestix (my AH seller mule for crafting stuff) is too hyped on sugar, caffine, and sports a lovely bit of ADD.

Really, only my main has depth, and his personal story is woven into the overall metaplot of the game. Mostly though, its for the sake of the friends I play with that RP hardcore that I"ve come up with this stuff, more than any desire to RP.
          whoa nice stuff there ^_^ its good to know theres people who do more then just play the game. Keep up the good work
          Sotama The Rune Shield Paladin

Paladin/Warrior

Ex-member of the once greatest LS ever

Forsaken Dragons

Comment

Aksannyi is a Hume from San d'Oria so I always tell people that her mother was Elvaan and her father was Hume. Her father died in the great war when she was too young to remember him, and her mother moved Aksannyi and her brother back to San d'Oria, where Aksannyi gained citizenship of Sandy. Her brother eventually moved back to Bastok and became a Bastokan warrior in honor of their father.

That's about it for the background of my character, (main, though there's elements of my mule, Luzbell, in there too, as the brother, though I don't level him often), but I'd like to actually develop her a bit more.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I always disliked people who role play. It always seems to leak into their real life outside of their level twelve neutral evil paladin named Ohlagh and either A) they don't realize it, or B) they think it's cool, while A) people think it's creepy, and B) makes you sound a little bit like a fairy.

I like that they've created the small communities though, where they can RP without weirding anybody out.

Comment

My husband and I have some very rudimentary backstories which all stem from him joking that his mithra mule is his main's pet cat XD.

His Elvaan mule in Sandy is his main's sister. His other Sandy mule, a Taru, is his sister's drop out friend from mage school... it goes on and on like that.

Comment

My roleplaying is limited to spontaneous roleplay or watching the story and comment about if it was a serious matter.

Things like "what is Eald'narche plotting this time", "Verenaaaaa!!!" or "I want to defeat the Dynamis Lord to free Rao's soul". Also stuff like "yeah, I cought my moogle stealing food again", that's the kind of light roleplay I enjoy.

But creating background stories or playing scripted scenes is something I'll never do. Most of the time it feels way too forced and everyone wants a dramatic/epic story for their character which is kinda too much for my taste.

So I always say (Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.) to any serious roleplayers I find.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: Character Stories? Does anyone give depth to their character or just play to play

Originally posted by Sotama
                    whoa nice stuff there ^_^ its good to know theres people who do more then just play the game. Keep up the good work
                    What people going these forums and posting about FFXI related stuff isn't doing more then just play the game?

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
                      Also stuff like "yeah, I cought my moogle stealing food again",
                      Hehe, that's cute. I hope it was something cheap, like Ginger cookies.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Like all Tarus, I climbed out a fruit from the star tree.

Only I drowned in the water after I escaped my magic pear, almost died, and was revived with half of my brain mass. :D

Comment

Like all Tarus, I climbed out a fruit from the star tree.
                          Personally, I like it when people who "RP" or write "fan fiction" know what they are talking about.
                          Read my blog.
                          ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                          Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                          Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

I like it when people understand satire.

Comment

I like Aelathir.

But that's besides the point.

No, wait, it's not. I definately like Aelathir.

Comment

Working...
                              X