Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know how I said not to hate the dunes so much? Yeah...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know how I said not to hate the dunes so much? Yeah...

...about that.

Yesterday I dinged 15 on my NIN mid-afternoon, and spent the rest of the day running all over Vana'diel getting the things I'd need for my push to 20. You see, I'd held off on joining a party until 15 for several reasons.

1.) I could go ahead and learn all of my (not entirely necessary) Elemental Ninjitsu, which meant that I could level my NIN skill faster, and not have to carry around a bunch of scrolls.

2.) I'd finally have all of the gear, from food (Navarin for good parties and Meat Jerky for crappy ones or soloing), to enough Shihei to last me until 37 (I hope) to all of the various other Ninja tools that I don't really need but I can use to skillup my Ninja Magic with, to the Gassan that I had to get all of my WAR gear out of storage for (Chocoboleech wasn't too bad), to the Shurikens that my Jeuno mule has been hoarding for weeks after daily trips to the Tenshodo Guild shop, to the Hawkeyes that would keep my throwing skill up until I could use the Shurikens, to the two pieces of Bone Armor +1 I'd slide into at 16, all of which would allow me to finish these interminable levels before 20 (not that it gets much better then for a young NIN) in relative peace.

3.) Mostly I just hate leveling on Lizards and Low Range Dunes Gobs.

So this afternoon I decided to start soloing in LaTheine near the Valkurm entrance while looking for a group.

Party #1: Invited by a Rank 10 MNK/WAR. He sent a tell first, which I appreicated, and since he asked me to hurry I tossed on my Return Ring which immediately ported me to the Valkurm Outpost. I set my HP and joined up with the party which was...right in front of the damn outpost. Well, this is starting off well.

"Hey, we have a PL - so don't provoke"

I stayed for two fights, and then sent the leader a tell asking if he'd mind if I looked for a replacement since I didn't want to be powerleveled. He booted me without a word in party chat. Oh well.

Invite #2: Lush 15 BLM

Maybe I could have been friendlier.

Party #2:
    Invited by a SMN/WHM. Rank 3, only had Carby, but he had a WHM and a RDM, and a MNK/WAR who was Rank 5, and a DRG who almost immediately replaced himself with a BLM (that is not an even trade, folks).

I was asked to pull as well as tank, because none of the mages could (or would) and the MNK had no ranged attacks. Fine. I love tearing through my shadows for fun.

Then the BLM got aggro from a gob, and I nearly died because the WHM and SMN were chain casting Banish instead of curing me. For about 9 damage each time.

Then I noticed that the RDM was casting Dia and then the BLM was casting Bio. I stopped for a moment to explain why that was a bad idea, and the RDM pulled out her "I have a level 75 WHM" card, which, obviously not, because a level 75 WHM should know that Bio overwrites Dia, but she swore it didn't. The BLM began to get beligerent at this point.

After the next fight, the BLM bitched about needing poisona (I'd be dipping into my stock of antidotes because no one seemed interested in helping me out in that area). I asked why he didn't cast it on himself, and he pointed out that he had a RDM sub. Since I couldn't think of any reason why you'd sub RDM to BLM in the dunes, I hadn't even noticed. So I asked if he had his WHM available, which he of course did not, and then he proceeded to yell at me. The WHM complained that we were all acting ridiculous, and the WHM told us all to shut up.

I decided to take my leave. (Kaiz = SMN, Firanx = WHM) alas I forgot to screenie the earlier Dia/Bio conversation. That's ok. We've all had it before.

I guess I did kind of sound like a kid.

Party #3: Invited by a Rank 10 RNG/WAR. I join the party to find that he and I are the only ones with Subjobs. That's ok. They seemed friendly enough. But then the macros started. And never stopped.

That's his Ranged Attack macro, folks. I don't even know what the others were. Oh, and Call 4. I mean, seriously?

The WHM randomly bene'd after a fight and immediately DC'd, never to return again. We replaced him, but the next WHM died before he could get to us. Then we got him a raise, waited for weakness to wear, and then got started. Then the RNG pulled four gobs, and everyone died but me and the RDM. She called us all idiots (I apologized via /tell but she wasn't having any of it), and I finally called it a day.

I think I did my time. I'm just going to solo tomorrow.

And before anyone mentions it, I was going to make my own party, but I was looking at that weird time when EU time is winding down, but most NAs aren't online just yet, and for a bit there I was the only person looking for a party from levels 14-17. Had there been just a few other folks, I could have figured something out.

Anyway, I just had to share with someone. I'm going to turn this all into an LJ entry later, when I can reformat some of the screenshots.

Re: You know how I said not to hate the dunes so much? Yeah...

You know they're going to be like that in Bibiki Bay too right? There's nothing special about the Dunes that idiocy wears off when you leave. You hate stupid players, not the zone.

But this: 'Then I noticed that the RDM was casting Dia and then the BLM was casting Bio.' I don't even try anymore, no one ever listens. The only time you get a break is the levels where RDM has DIa II and BLM only has Bio.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron
      You know they're going to be like that in Bibiki Bay too right? There's nothing special about the Dunes that idiocy wears off when you leave. You hate stupid players, not the zone.

But this: 'Then I noticed that the RDM was casting Dia and then the BLM was casting Bio.' I don't even try anymore, no one ever listens. The only time you get a break is the levels where RDM has DIa II and BLM only has Bio.
      Yeah, they're like this until forever, really. I just had an exceptionally rough day party wise and needed to share. It could have been any zone.

I'll be back to telling people to stop bitching about the Dunes tomorrow I'm sure.

I think I might appropriate that ranged attack macro though. But I need it for something that I'd use even more often to get the full effect.

Comment

Ahh, teh gewd oled doons.

Jeeze, don't you know every ranged attack requires a fanfare?

Btw, Ael, that's the bad thing about leveling all jobs equally. You take them all through dunes.

Comment

Some days I think it's going to drive me mad. We'll see.

Comment

Dude, you've had a fair amount of time to test... Just pick a job you like, level your subs, and play it?

Comment

Lol, was thinking of making that my ranged attack macro myself.
              Btw, why were you pt'ing with lvl 10's if you were lvl 15?
              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I'm not playing yet, and i know dia and bio don't stack.

I also know I'm going to do everything in my power to stay out of the dunes.

Idiots or not, I don't like "overly camped" zones where people are prickish and fight over pixels in a video game.

Comment

Telal > Newbs

I've taught you well!

Comment

Originally posted by Matera
                    Dude, you've had a fair amount of time to test... Just pick a job you like, level your subs, and play it?
                    I'm still deciding between BRD NIN RDM DRG SAM and MNK as a "final" choice.

And for those I'd need WHM BLM THF WAR RNG or DRK, so...I kind of am.

Caspian: Rank 10. Not level 10. Everyone I partied with today was 15-18 in level.

I was tempted to put quotes around partied.

Comment

Yeah - I was gonna level a load of jobs through the dunes, but if that is the current quality - I'm sticking to rdm merits and my 51 blm... wait for this lot to clear through...

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                      "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                        Caspian: Rank 10. Not level 10. Everyone I partied with today was 15-18 in level.
                        Yeah, I'm stupid. ><

Comment

On my nin last month I ended up soloing to 17, trio'ed with a PL friend to 19, and currently at 20 after soloing some worms. Bye bye dunes.
                          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree
                            On my nin last month I ended up soloing to 17, trio'ed with a PL friend to 19, and currently at 20 after soloing some worms. Bye bye dunes.
                            Dunes levels are especially painful as a NIN in parties, I think. I've leveled the job twice before (I must be crazy), and I much prefer for a WAR/MNK to tank while I pull or DD, but everyone wants me to main tank, and no one wants to be a useful backup provoker.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                              Dunes levels are especially painful as a NIN in parties, I think. I've leveled the job twice before (I must be crazy), and I much prefer for a WAR/MNK to tank while I pull or DD, but everyone wants me to main tank, and no one wants to be a useful backup provoker.
                              Yep, worst part about main tanking as NIN in dunes. Like one out of ten parties has a war or decently def equipped melee /war thats willing and intelligent enough to hit that provoke macro to hold hate for a few seconds.

Oddly enough, half the parties i was in in dunes as NIN, I was pt'd with a PLD. Seemed really odd, but whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X