how do you survive the dunes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you survive the dunes?

How do you survive the dunes with out giving in and going insane?...

[rant]
    I've spent my two nights online this week leveling WAR from 12 to 16 (nearly). And i'm extremely frustrated. The parties i've got into have either been full of people who don't have a clue (which i can tolerate) or don't give two stuffs. They show up with gimpy gear, faff around going afk every two mins (obviously as soon as every one else gets back) , take forever to get to a camp, have their home point the other side of the world (and no way of raising themselves, they just expect you to shout for a raise while they sod off for a fag).

Either that or if the party contains anyone who is either newbie or n00by at the game they mysteriously DC or just straight up disband.

When eventually you do weed out all the people who'd rather go get a sandwich than pull and all the primadonnas who'd rather unplug their computer than boot someone from a party or try and actually teach someone new how to improve their game, you get six people capable of actually getting experience points instead of losing them. Then the PL (which one of them invited along with out checking if people wanted it first) shows up ten mins after you get into the party and kills anything like fun, adventure or risk. Of course most of the party think this great! Suddenly the exp is through the roof, if you don't want the PL you are doomed to go back to LFG-with-the-n00b-you-just-kicked-from-the-party-land. Anyone who doesn't want the PL will pretty much suck it up and stick with it, cos at least it'll get you out of there. (this is where i am currently)

How do you do it? I don't want to be one of those people who just DC out of a party as soon as anything looks a bit N00by (although if it preserves my sanity i can see why people would do this). I don't want to be dragged through in a power-leveled-gimp-skilled-when-i-get-to-Quifm-zombie state. I'd rather not solo grind my way to 20.

I want a party like you get parties everywhere else in the game. Where people take some pride in themselves, in doing their job, having up to date gear. Where people have fun (gasp!) But because "the dunes suck" noone puts in the effort and it makes them suck so much more!

It's not just this run through thats lead me to these conclusions, but pretty much every run since my first two (when i was a newbie, and even then "the dunes experience" was sorely lacking in fun).

Worst part is i've still several jobs to take through those levels. But playing that way just isn't my idea of fun in any way.

How do you keep sane? Should i just give myself over to the power levelers? Sit there mindlessly for however many dozens of hours it will take me to get all the jobs i want through there? And only start learning how to party properly with my new job when i get to quifm? Should i start DCing anytime things looks less than premium? Or is there a better way?
    [/rant]
    Kylestie was defeated by Curiosity.

Re: how do you survive the dunes?

Well, first, you survive by waiting until the mid-teens to party in the dunes. Especially as a WAR, who can tear through the mobs in Konschtat and LaTheine (or Tahrongi) faster than a party can get exp from 10-14.

Then you make your own parties, and only take people who have search comments, or who don't have gimpy subs. Folks with no subs can sometimes be great if they are returning players or willing to listen new players, so don't count them out.

Also, if you can, you take them elsewhere. You can get much less stressful exp in several other zones that aren't that terribly far from Valkurm. If you're making your own party, there's no reason you can't say "We're going to exp in Pashow, or Buburimu, or Korroloka Tunnel."

I just don't stress out about it too much. I solo, with my flag up, and if I get an invite to a party that sounds promising, I give it a try. If it sucks, I tell them sorry, and disband and go back to soloing.

There's no need to let it ruin your day.

Comment

grab a static.... dunes will always be like that

Comment

1. Solo to 14, minimum.
        2. Solo to 14, minimum.
        3. Get decent gear, spells, and food for the whole ride to 20.
        4. Set homepoint at Dunes outpost.
        5. Do your best.
        6. Stop having expectations.

I've "only" taken nine jobs through the Dunes so far. My best advice is to chill the F out, and stop expecting it to be any different than it has been for ages and ages and ages. Mind over matter, it only matters if you mind it.

Note I'm not saying don't try. I kick ass in the Dunes, and teach what I can to those who'll listen (gentle suggestions that I drop if they don't follow them; even if they don't listen this time they'll remember it later). But stop stressing about party performance. Go to the Dunes to have an experience, not get experience points. XP is a side effect. Sometimes.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Yeah, pretty much everything he said. But especially with the 'make your own pts' part. I recently took both my Drk and my Sam through the dunes and it took about 4 days total to get Drk to 20 and Sam to 19 (starting at 14 drk and 11 sam respectively). Make your own PTs, invite friends and people you know if you can, read search comments when available, and pick people who have useful and lvled job/subjob combos.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I remember the good ol' days when a ton of people would seek around Windurst and exping through the teens was possible in Tahrongi and Shakhrami(sp?). Anyway, SE knows how bad Valkurm is...they should probably add a new area specifically designed for leveling through the teens. The dunes is truly an obstacle to overcome and not always because of the newbs n' n00bs that you're forced to group with, but also because of the accessibility at that level. It's a long way to run on foot, kind of annoying....

[e d i t] Dunes ftw!

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryddr
              I remember the good ol' days when a ton of people would seek around Windurst and exping through the teens was possible in Tahrongi and Shakhrami(sp?). Anyway, SE knows how bad Valkurm is...they should probably add a new area specifically designed for leveling through the teens. The dunes is truly an obstacle to overcome and not always because of the newbs n' n00bs that you're forced to group with, but also because of the accessibility at that level. It's a long way to run on foot, kind of annoying....
              They can add all the lowbie areas they want, and people aren't going to stop going to the Dunes. Heck, there is already The Maze, Buburimu, Korroloka, Pashow, Meriphitaud, Jugner, Ordelle's Caves, Dangruf Wadi, etc. Many of them far closer to starting cities than Valkurm.

Once upon a time, some friends and I decided to static from level 10 on. We started in Tahrongi on Dhalmels, and then moved to Buburimu taking on Hares and Mandies, and then Birds and Dhalmels. Then at 14 we moved to Korroloka, then to Sauromuge at 18 for Beetles, then Delkfutt's Tower on Giants, then...well heck, I think we broke into a semi-static at that point, and had to go to more conventional locations. But my point is that if you get enough people willing to try new things (quite a feat), you can get some really amazing exp.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                They can add all the lowbie areas they want, and people aren't going to stop going to the Dunes. Heck, there is already The Maze, Buburimu, Korroloka, Pashow, Meriphitaud, Jugner, Ordelle's Caves, Dangruf Wadi, etc. Many of them far closer to starting cities than Valkurm.

Once upon a time, some friends and I decided to static from level 10 on. We started in Tahrongi on Dhalmels, and then moved to Buburimu taking on Hares and Mandies, and then Birds and Dhalmels. Then at 14 we moved to Korroloka, then to Sauromuge at 18 for Beetles, then Delkfutt's Tower on Giants, then...well heck, I think we broke into a semi-static at that point, and had to go to more conventional locations. But my point is that if you get enough people willing to try new things (quite a feat), you can get some really amazing exp.
                {Fact.}

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

I've found that as long as I take the time to build a good party I get one but if I just hang around waiting to be invited, I'll get a less good party. I'm not the best at inviting other players but I found that others who have lvled unpopular jobs a lot are good at it and they can help me fill up the rest of the party. Try looking in Jeuno, they're are normaly a few people waiting there for a party and they hope that only good ones will find them there. Get a proper party build just like you would anywhere else. Don't forget about new players either, most do listen and will they to do what you want even if there not the best at it.

Comment

How do I survive the dunes? One mob at a time... XP

The only gripe I do have is that asking poeple to xp in a different zone is like asking them to pull out all their teeth.

Me> "The Dunes are too crowded, how about we go try Bubu?"
                    Party1>"Bubu? What's that?"
                    Party2>"No way, the boat trip is too long."
                    Party3>"You can't xp there."

Arg! As if waiting 20 minutes for unlimted access to all the crabs you can pull is worse than waiting 5 minutes between crab pops only to end up losing it to one of the other 4 parties on the beach in Valkurm.
                    The last remaining evil white mage on Ramuh.
                    Killing tanks since 2004

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey
                    "I can picture in my mind a world without war,
                    a world without hate.
                    And I can picture us attacking that world,
                    because they'd never expect it."

Comment

1.) Don't be a tank
                      2.) Don't be a tank
                      3.) Don't be a tank
                      4.) Don't be a BLM with a crappy tank
                      ---

Comment

I think the best way to survied the dunes is drugs. Lots of drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamlet
                          I think the best way to survied the dunes is drugs. Lots of drugs.
                          We were somewhere around Konschtat, on the edge of the desert, when the Hi-Ether began to take hold. I remember saying something like:
                          (Raoul) I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should lead.
                          Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like seeker bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the party, and a voice was screaming:
                          Sefirofffff: 18MNK LFP!!!!!!
                          (Raoul) Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals?
                          (Drgonzo) Did you say something?
                          (Raoul) Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to lead.
                          (Raoul) No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.
                          Sefirofffff: 18MNK LFP!!!!!! gud tank plz invt me!!!!!!
                          (Drgonzo) Let's give the boy a lift.
                          (Xxxxxcloudxxxxx) (Camp) (L-9)
                          (Raoul) What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                          . . .

Comment

I feel like I should get that as a reference to something. It's on the tip of my tongue, and yet...

Comment

Fear and Loathing in Valkurm Dunes. :D
                              Ellipses on Fenrir
                              . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X