FFXI on the Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXI on the Xbox 360

I decided to shell out the cash to purchase a hard drive for my 360 and the game itself, as well as a video capture card so that I could hook it up to my computer and record battles and the like. I had always heard that the graphics were slightly better on the 360, but what I'm seeing is slightly worse than on the PC. The resolution is low, and the color vibrance is low as well. I didn't think I'd find anything to change the graphical settings within the Config menu, but is there something I'm missing somewhere that can configure that like the PC graphical configuration application? I'd be kind of disappointed if I'm stuck with these sorry visuals. =/

Also, is there a reason the PC can't detect the trigger buttons on 360 controller?

Re: FFXI on the Xbox 360

yeah the 360 greaphics look like the PC at default settings, but PCs can go past that, and the trigger buttons to not work in FFXI on PC, you need to download the fan made driver that makes the trigger buttons into normal ones......

XBCD (windows driver for Xbox controlers)
    http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html#v106

360 update to allow 360 controlers to be mapped as well
    http://matt-land.com/xbcd/

oh yeha on a side note, uninstall the offical driver from microsoft, before install the fan one
    Last edited by Kailea; 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Are you playing on an HD TV?

The game in hi-def looks about the same as the PC version (not better, but not worse either), if you play on a regular TV then the graphics will look somewhat worse than the PC...

Comment

Yes the 360 on a normal TV looks bad, I hooked it up to my flat screen monitor and it looks better then when I was on my PC. I didn't use the registry hack or anything on the PC though to enhance it.

Comment

PC w/ 2048 x 2048 background res > Xbox 360.

There's ways to get your drawdistance (for the world only, not the radius in which monsters are displayed) increased like on the 360, but it is teh hax and thus is one of the Things That Shall Not Be Named.

Comment

The draw distance on the Xbox 360 isn't any farther than on the PC. I have first hand experience with draw distances! I think what I'm looking for the most is a larger resolution so that the log isn't taking up half the screen.

Comment

i think that the graphics are significantly better on the 360, and i just have a regular, flat screen tv with the blue/green/red cables hooked up

Comment

Originally posted by xTempestx
                i think that the graphics are significantly better on the 360, and i just have a regular, flat screen tv with the blue/green/red cables hooked up
                If you mean Playstation, then you are absolutely correct, good sir.

If you mean PC, then you're entitled to your opinion, however the 4 people who were with me when I was testing it on my Dell 2405FPW (it has component in, so both devices were tested, both on a full screen and side-by-side simultaneous view) all agreed the PC > 360. I was running the tests to see if it was worth buying a 360, and it failed. I even gave a slight bias towards the 360's performance, as we only had component cables available... but you can blame MS for failing to plan and including either an HDMI or DVI output on the box, both of which I could have easily procured cables for. We were unwilling to spend the money asked for the VGA adapter, and quite frankly, any way you slice it, if given the choice between getting shot in the leg or shot in the foot, neither option is appealing.

Test Setup:
                PC: 1920x1200 interface resolution, 2048x2048 registry-tweaked background resolution. Consistant 30FPS (the game's cap) except during PEAK periods (IE, when like 18 people were on screen simultaneously casting tons of crap. Jeuno was fine, since I know it will come up.)
                Xbox: 1080i via component.

And for anyone who whines the test wasn't "fair" because of the tweaked background res, stuff it. If the system can run it, then it's fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Atma

Test Setup:
                  PC: 1920x1200 interface resolution, 2048x2048 registry-tweaked background resolution.
                  And there lies the flaw in your logic, the AVERAGE pc user isn't capable of these resolutions. Either limitations on hardware or limits on the knowledge it takes to get them done. Most people don't have top of the line hardware so its safe to say they won't be able to enjoy the game quite as well as you can. When you compare the 360 version via HDTV with an average PC users setup, you'll see little to no difference in quality. I've also done a side by side comparison when I was working on my daughters computer a couple of weeks ago, although I have to say that it is not the best way to compare them. Looking at a 23" and then a 61" takes more than a slight adjustment for the eyes. LOL
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well I thought I should say that I'm now enjoying it on the Xbox 360 a lot more than on PC despite the visual drawbacks. I bought a cheap USB keyboard and I'm pretty much all set up. I can lie back on the couch and really relax while playing, something I found it hard to do while sitting at a computer. My back doesn't hurt as much either when I'm done, which is a plus! It's weird not being able to alt tab and surf the internet while I play.

So, anybody on Garuda want to give an experienced player's new character a pearl to a family LS? (\)(=´∇`=)(/)

Comment

Impaction, without asking, I can already tell why you think the 360 version is no better. There is no video capture card that supports component connections. Right now you're using plain ol standard definition. In fact, at that resolution, AA doesn't even matter because everything is so blurred out. Also video capture cards on computers have a nack for washing out the colors. Get a VGA cable for your 360 or get an hdtv. Believe me, after that, your game will look completely different.

I was surprised at how much better it made the game look. The screenshots seriously does not do it justice as I've seen them myself. Of course u can tune your computer to support AA and super high resolutions, but the fact remains that not everyone in the world owns a supercomputer.
                      Last edited by Bishop; 06-10-2006, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                        And there lies the flaw in your logic, the AVERAGE pc user isn't capable of these resolutions.
                        There is no flaw in the logic. The 1920x1200 resolution is used, as I have explained to you before, simply because it is as close as possible to a 1080i format and the native resolution for this display device. As I trust you are familiar with LCD panels, I don't think I need to explain why running at anything else would be appropriate. Anyone who can afford an HDTV to hook up thier xbox 360 to can just as easily afford a computer capable of outputting the same to a DVI port. If you're going to tell me you can afford a $5000 TV or $800 monitor and can't afford a 200 dollar video card, well, /point /laugh learn2spend. And if you're not talking about HD display devices, then computer automatically wins, because even 1024x768 is better then 480i.

The resolution also affects little to nothing in terms of in-game performance, it merely affects the overall size of the interface.

And any 150 dollar video card you pick up these days can run FFXI at an appropriate resolution for your display device at 2048x2048.

My computer is not some pimped out uberrig that can destroy anything in it's path. It's what I built with the $1,000 bucks I got from the insurance company when lightning fried my last computer.
                        Last edited by Atma; 06-11-2006, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop
                          Impaction, without asking, I can already tell why you think the 360 version is no better. There is no video capture card that supports component connections. Right now you're using plain ol standard definition. In fact, at that resolution, AA doesn't even matter because everything is so blurred out. Also video capture cards on computers have a nack for washing out the colors. Get a VGA cable for your 360 or get an hdtv. Believe me, after that, your game will look completely different.

I was surprised at how much better it made the game look. The screenshots seriously does not do it justice as I've seen them myself. Of course u can tune your computer to support AA and super high resolutions, but the fact remains that not everyone in the world owns a supercomputer.
                          I am using standard difinition, but I'm still playing it on a normal TV. I havn't found a reason to hook it up to the capture card yet. I'm definately not the most experienced with this, but I bought a capture card that supports S-Video in so I could use the Microsoft supported standard connections plus S-Video.

I'll look up more on the VGA cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Atma
                            There is no flaw in the logic. The 1920x1200 resolution is used, as I have explained to you before, simply because it is as close as possible to a 1080i format and the native resolution for this display device. As I trust you are familiar with LCD panels, I don't think I need to explain why running at anything else would be appropriate. Anyone who can afford an HDTV to hook up thier xbox 360 to can just as easily afford a computer capable of outputting the same to a DVI port. If you're going to tell me you can afford a $5000 TV or $800 monitor and can't afford a 200 dollar video card, well, /point /laugh learn2spend. And if you're not talking about HD display devices, then computer automatically wins, because even 1024x768 is better then 480i.

The resolution also affects little to nothing in terms of in-game performance, it merely affects the overall size of the interface.

And any 150 dollar video card you pick up these days can run FFXI at an appropriate resolution for your display device at 2048x2048.

My computer is not some pimped out uberrig that can destroy anything in it's path. It's what I built with the $1,000 bucks I got from the insurance company when lightning fried my last computer.
                            Yes, it does matter if someone can not use 1920x1200 res to compare it to a HDTV. (And fyi, making fun of someone's financial ability has nothing to do with this so stay off that subject.) I know because I have many older LCD monitors. Since they can not achieve 1920x1200 it isn't an accurate comparison to my HDTV and that is my point. Most people do not have this capability so it may be a better choice for them to play the 360 version. We can say that with a above average monitor and above average computer, you may have a better graphical experience if you don't mind the difference in the size of your screen. When I play FFXI on my laptop that has 1920x1200 res I get a crisper picture than I do on my HDTV, but I also sacrifice quite a bit of screen size (19" vs 61") and comfort (i.e. my chaise lounge). (My laptop is one of those heavy monster beasts that belongs on a desk and NOT a lap.) But I am one of the few that has the luxury of being able to have the choice, I play whatever suits my needs at the time. Someone who doesn't have this option has to choose between the 2 and the specs of their hardware do happen to play a huge part in what they should choose if they are a graphics whore. Otherwise the difference just isn't that big that you're going to kick yourself for having one over the other. An average PC setup and the 360 have little difference between the 2 but if you have a comfy couch...that could make all the difference in the world!
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Not to mention I believe the max Resolution you can achieve without editing the registry is 1024x768 (not sure on actual numbers). But I play on Xbox, because my PC sucks, I only go on PC when I want to use my Japanese version and put the Elemental Wheel of Kanji in my Bazaar for crafting/nuking purposes.
                              Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                              90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Working...
                              X