Provoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provoke

I was watchig this pld/war ballista movie and i saw him using provoke on other players, does it do anything to them. If it were a regular mob, he would have more hate towards you but on another player does it have any effect?

Which FF Character Are You?

Re: Provoke

Moved to PvP.

http://www.playonline.com/comnewsus/200404225213.html
    Provoke
    Provoke can be used to lock the target of an enemy player. While provoked, a player can only target the provoker. All actions performed by the person provoked (attacks, magic, items, etc.) will be directed at the provoker.
    This ability can be used to help teammates who are in trouble. However, Provoke is not guaranteed to take effect.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

If I remember correctly, it makes the provoked player unable to target or use abilities on anyone other than the provoker for something like five or ten seconds.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

I have never ever ever seen it work.... But thats just me.

Medalink

Comment

Originally posted by Medalink
          I've had it work on me, but it only lasts for a brief moment.

Comment

Its very brief, unless you're a 57MNK in uncapped Diorama and get Voked by a 75WAR. Then it almost always lands, and lasts about 15-20 seconds.

Mean linkshell.
            66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
            Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
            01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
            01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
            O)
            01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

Voke is one of the most useful abilities you can use in Ballista, IMO.

It prevents the target from casting spells on themselves, use on a WHM or something trying to cure themself.

They can only hit you, useful for saving lives.

The success rate is dependant on enmity, and with WAR main lands FAR more than sub.

My WAR friend, in full AF can land voke 8/10 times.
              SUICHI IS DEAD.

Comment

Provoke owns!! Espicaly when a rdm uses chainspell Sorry mr rdm no stoneskin or heals for you! But what I like it the most for is when you voke a nin they cant utsu. :X Also really good for dickheads who like to hit and run. *Voke >>>> dumbass hit and runner* Them >>"Damnit" *Voker shadows absorb the dmg and disapear*WHEEE : )

Comment

Provoke is seriously BS in times IMO. They should really have another use for it; it completely screws over mages who cast. They can't SS, heal, or anything. Other DD's wouldn't even USE anything on themselves. Provoke just completely messes up mages in ballista, honestly. I'm a fair loser and know when I lost a match but it's just a cheapshot to mages if you ask me. Other jobs don't get abilities like that to screw over DD's, why screw over mages like that? /rant off :X
                  ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
                  PM8-4: (Aka Finished): Dawn, ZM17 (Aka Finished): Awakening, Windurst 8-1: Vain
                  RDM66/SMN25
                  *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Fayttt
                    Provoke is seriously BS in times IMO. They should really have another use for it; it completely screws over mages who cast. They can't SS, heal, or anything. Other DD's wouldn't even USE anything on themselves. Provoke just completely messes up mages in ballista, honestly. I'm a fair loser and know when I lost a match but it's just a cheapshot to mages if you ask me. Other jobs don't get abilities like that to screw over DD's, why screw over mages like that? /rant off :X
                    I think the ability that mages get to screw over [melee] DDs with is called magic....

/think...

yep, magic.
                    Last edited by Ryddr; 06-19-2006, 07:23 AM. Reason: [clarification]

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

One word... Paralyze

Comment

Originally posted by Ryddr
                        I think the ability that mages get to screw over [melee] DDs with is called magic....

/think...

yep, magic.
                        Wrong. There is a resist for magic. There is no resist for provoke.
                        ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
                        RDM66/SMN25
                        *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Fayttt
                          Wrong. There is a resist for magic. There is no resist for provoke.
                          The posts above you seem to disagree.
                          Originally posted by Medalink

Medalink
                          Originally posted by avhmia
                          I've had it work on me, but it only lasts for a brief moment.
                          Originally posted by AngryUndead
                          Its very brief, unless you're a 57MNK in uncapped Diorama and get Voked by a 75WAR. Then it almost always lands, and lasts about 15-20 seconds.

Mean linkshell.
                          Originally posted by Suichi
                          The success rate is dependant on enmity, and with WAR main lands FAR more than sub.

My WAR friend, in full AF can land voke 8/10 times.
                          Sounds like the exact same resistance problems that magic experiences.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Well I wear a hell of a lot of EVA gear and it always hits me.

Edit: And what I meant was that sure it can miss or resist, however, there are defined resists for magic. I.E. Fire Resist, Ice Resist, etc, right in the menu. But there are no defined resists like that for Provoke even if it does miss often and im just unlucky.
                            ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
                            RDM66/SMN25
                            *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

First of all, provoke in ballista usually lasts up to 15 seconds while we need 30 seconds to reuse it. Second, it is only main WAR, not subbed WAR that can land provoke on the target reliably --- still not 100% reliable though. We usually have 30 - 50 people at 60 capped held in JPN prime time but there are only a few main WARs here. Third, if you are really annoyed with it, how about asking WAR in your team to keep provoking those who stick to you before they start to provoke you.

I've been playing ballista for a long time since its introduction but I myself don't think it completely screws up mages. Ballista is not where we play 1 on 1 duel. There are always ways to cope with it if we have good teamwork and group tactics. Even if I have to face WAR alone, I don't think I'm gonna lose as RDM because RDM has a lot of tools to stop them.

Finally, it's off topic but "a hell of a lot of EVA gear" doesn't help you very much because no matter how much you increase your evasion, [your total evasion] < [their weapon accuracy] unless you are main THF. I'd rather recommend you increase your defence.

Comment

Working...
                              X