This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *shakes off the dust* How's the game?

Hello all, been a couple years since I last checked up on FFXI, the poor moogle in my house is probably dead by now.

I'm curious about how the game's been doing since I left, seeing as it's gotten a couple of expansions in that time.

At the time I left because the user interface was driving me up the wall, the muted colors of the people and cities were kinda unpleasant, there were no clear instructions on how to do things like tradeskills (this was just after the US release), and leveling seemed like a huge, grindy treadmill. I spent most of my time being confused, or beating on little bird monsters with a stick and being poor.

So, two years and two expansions later, are things better?

Did they ever implement a control scheme friendlier to mouse and keyboard?

Did they add a UI that fits more naturally on a high-resolution computer monitor?

Did they make the leveling process more fun? I recall working with quests to be akin to dental surgery compared to how easy they were to find in, say, WoW or EQ.

Any information that anyone can give me would be appreciated. I've forgotten most of the details in the years since I played last, though, so anything involving technical stuff about stats, weapons, or spells will probably be over my head.

Double Post Edited:
    Annnd only now do I notice that they added a 'returning player' subforum to this one. If any mods could move this thread in there, I'd feel less silly.
    Last edited by Greyfist; 04-24-2006, 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Re: *shakes off the dust* How's the game?

Originally posted by Greyfist
    So, two years and two expansions later, are things better?
    Well it depends on what you mean by "better"... prices are still higher than when FFXI first started as there are a lot more gilsellers and gilbuyers alike. Yet, prices are not as high as they used to be. There are a lot more HNMLS's now as well as many people with multiple jobs at 75. With the new expansion pack, there is now an influx of people in the lower level zones (I haven't really noticed a drastic change in overall population though >.>).

Did they ever implement a control scheme friendlier to mouse and keyboard?
    Nope

Did they add a UI that fits more naturally on a high-resolution computer monitor?
    Um.. it depends on what you define as high-resolution, I run FFXI at 1280x1024 and have no problems with the UI at all.

Did they make the leveling process more fun? I recall working with quests to be akin to dental surgery compared to how easy they were to find in, say, WoW or EQ.
    Same as it has been, more jobs, new zones and spells/abilities maybe? There was a change far far back which increased the xp gained at higher levels (if I remember correctly, might have been just relating to xp loss? not too sure)

Comment

Re: *shakes off the dust* How's the game?

... stick to WoW.

Comment

Working...
      X