This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The confusion of the area: Altepa

Kuzotz: a group of islands west(and south) from Gustaberg. It is one of the most undefined(we only play in one area of one island) and biggest regions in the game.

Zepwell: the biggest (desert) island of the Kuzotz

Altepa: a desert that makes up most of Zepwell.

Any of these names MIGHT have been the name of the Galkan nation and/or capital many years ago, but we don't know.

Re: The confusion of the area: Altepa

I thought Quicksand Caves was where they lived. The anticans drove them from their home, so I thought thats why there were so many anticans there. It definately has origins other than natural (staircases, etc.)
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I think so. Kuzotz, Zepwell, Altepa all sound very much like a real name. Where Quicksand sounds a lot more simple :D
      Look at other Galka's names... what do you see? Laughing Lizard, Charging Chocobo, Proud Beard, none of these actually sound like a name right? >.>
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Yeah, but that's only for the younger generation of Galkas. Don't forget Raogrimm, Zeid, and others.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
          Look at other Galka's names... what do you see? Laughing Lizard, Charging Chocobo, Proud Beard, none of these actually sound like a name right? >.>
          Those are their slave names. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by Coinspinner
            Those are their slave names. >_>
            They're slaves? I just thought they were the less respected citizens. And what about the ones like Iron Eater. He's one of the lead Iron Musketeers. I don't think he's a slave.

And even discounting the name. (Which I wasn't really thinking about at the time.) Besides the teleport crystal and a few other odd places where theres a big depression in the sand. There's not any other man/galkan made structures in the whole desert, iirc.

Comment

I was also sure that the quick sand caves was where they lived. But well i hope SE gives us answers in the future

Comment

If you look at the ruins of Quicksand, its very much like a city. Their capital sunk into the sands once abandoned. The ruins are in the Quicksand Cave, not vice versa(and the ruins are not called Quicksand Cave). It is likely that they have ruins that are not in sand at all, and are not located in the Altepa desert at all.

Their city is very much like the Kuluu cities of Pso'Xja and Uggalepih. They also knew several secrets of the ancients, had encountered ancient ruins deep below the ground(covered in sand for 8,000 years[read: not 10,000]). It's most likely, when they continued to dig, looking for more of these secrets, they encountered/awoken the antica causing their doom. Anyway, in my opinion, the Galka can be linked to the Aztecs.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Galka originally come from the Far West(America), and represent Native Americans. It would be funny to find an entire continent full of Galka, when we always thought they were so scarce. SE would dig themselves into a hole if they did however; after deeming their "Indian" natives Hume made, when it is clearly Native American flavor.

Comment

lol would work, no the near east is kinda like india and the jungles of eroasia and the far east i bet is sorta like china and japan

Which FF Character Are You?

And you, wich Final Fantasy character do you resemble?

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian
                    They're slaves? I just thought they were the less respected citizens. And what about the ones like Iron Eater. He's one of the lead Iron Musketeers. I don't think he's a slave.
                    Galka are, for a lack of a better word, pretty much slaves. After they lost their home to the Antica, Galkans wound up in the area which is now Bastok. Humes took advantage of their situation, and used them to establish Bastok.

So, Galka ended up toiling away in their mines, and dying in the Bastokan Military, with little to no rights, while the Humes sat back and reaped the benefits of the Galka's hard work. I figure that, the names they have like "Charging Chocobo" and "Mighty Mountain" are a way of mocking and degrading them.

Most Galka live in Bastok Mines, and work there, digging up ores which makes Bastok wealthy. It's not completely impossible for Galka's to rise above their situation, evidenced with Galkas like Zeig, and Iron Eater, majority of the Humes simply see Galka's as tools, instead of Bastokan Citizens.

Comment

I never doubted that they were seen as an inferior species, but I didn't think the humes got to name the galkans. Especially when the galkans all refer to eachother as those odd names.

Comment

Yeah, Humes give Galkas those degrading names. I remember doing a Bastok Mission, where Cid was talking to his apprentice, which happends to be a Galka.

He had a regular name, and he called Cid "different" from the other Humes for not giving him one of the funky ones. As for why they address each other with them? Your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron517
                          He had a regular name, and he called Cid "different" from the other Humes for not giving him one of the funky ones. As for why they address each other with them? Your guess is as good as mine.
                          I remember that now that you mention it. Crazy what you forget.

I still hold to the fact that names aside, QC is the most likely place to have been a big part of the Galkan's homes. Maybe not their sole city, but a chunk of it at the very least.

Comment

When the Galkas were attacked they fled through Korroloka Tunnel and into Bastok, if you go into Korroloka tunnel and see the shoddy gate, I doubt that gate would hold back a few beastmen let alone hundreds of invading forces.
                            Hacked on 9/9/09
                            FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

The path was blocked for a long time. Only recently did Bastokian officials open up again. The Antica likely have no idea of it. It would be easy to flood it if the Antica ever thought of attack Vana'diel.

The Galka are more like Northern Black People pre-Civil War than slaves. They are can not vote and can not run for office. There is a lot of frustration and distrust between the two races. In the beginning of Bastok's existance, it is very likely that they were equal due to having a common enemy in the San d'Oria Empire.

However, once economics came into play and money started to have true importance, the Hume excel. They are naturally apathitic, and used the Galka a lot. This is probably why Bastok's first president was murdered by a Galka youth. With the appearance of Raogrimm, the Tale Keeper, Galka started to see improvements in their lives. He was even able to join the Mythril Musketeers and almost become the leader of it. However, he disappeared in the Multi-Nation Expedition to the North. After that, any advances were undone and nothing had change since the game's present.

Comment

Working...
                              X