This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rant about NPCs.

Okay, I know everyone thinks that NPCs are a godsend, but don't flame me for what I post.

I just took my BLM through the Kuftal Tunnel levels. And NPCs are sucking up all the freaking XP in that place. It took me twice as long as it did with WHM to level through there, because in most of my parties we'd just sit there sometimes waiting for crab repops. The rate that NPCs are making a nuissance (sp?) is growing. I tried leveling my BST on Blazer Beetles, Musuhussu, and Exorays in Crawlers Nest. Every time I went down there, an NPC party would be hacking away at the mobs. I know BST is hard, and I should've expected that, and I don't really care about the people leveling on where I XP my BST, since they weren't pissing a party off somewhere. (Well, except for the one guy who told me to leave, and got pissy with me; I MPKed his NPC after that. There wasn't a reason for him to be an asshole.) But I mean, XPing NPCs in Kuftal Tunnel...WTF? And these aren't skill ups, seeing as how mostly everyone is either solo, or 75 and using their A+ Weapons. I wish people would be courteous and level somewhere else. (Like on gobs and lizards right outside Kuftal in Terrigan.) But people have to be stupid about it, and level on mobs that XP parties are leveling on. And it doesn't stop there. There was an NPC party leveling on Robber Crabs in Terrigan last night....WTF? GO LEVEL ON THE FUCKING LIZARDS.....Sorry, but this has been pissing me off. I should've been 60 on my BLM by now, but the rate that people are killing XP mobs is REALLY lowering the XP/hr in XP parties. IMO, this is something that SE needs to address. I wouldn't mind SE taking NPCs out of the game, but that would make people bitch. But to be honest, if somebody in this game, is so bored, that they need to level a different job, on something that they keep out for 30 mins at a time, and can't find anything else to do, they shouldn't be playing this game. I mean, if these people leveling their NPCs could form a set party for other jobs. They'd have more than 3 jobs 75 by now -_-
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Re: A rant about NPCs.

yes, it's both a blessing and a curse. some people are just plain inconsiderate...

just over this weekend, with at least 5 parties in yuhtunga, people were still leveling their NPCs or skilling-up on the mandys. I was even told to "go die" by the shellholder of AngelsInIce (iirc) because I claimed a mandy from someone she was power-leveling

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I think it's more that people are uninformed or uncreative about what their options are. They only the mobs that are used in exp, and don't think to kill something else.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

It's also the fact that the best mobs for pts to exp on are the same mobs that are best for NPCs to exp on. Non AoE, easy to kill mobs are great for exp no matter who you are or what you lvl. And with NPCs the more you use them the better they get so a lot of people have much more freedom now with them then they did before. I know I was able to use mine to help solo DC nin yags in OZ and farm goobbues in Zi'tah at lvl 50 thf where my only downtime was waiting for repops. And once you start getting into the story you''ll want to learn more as it is a rather interesting one, and one you don't need a full pt/alliance of highly specific jobs to enjoy.

This specific problem has nothing to do with NPCs and everything to do with people who don't think of better places to get their EXP. And it's the same problem that's been in the game since people discovered these great EXP spots.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I level my npc in areas other than the standard exp areas. Xarcabard and Lufaise Meadows is probably my favorite at this point. I've also been soloing Buffalo's in Ullu range lately with it.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
          SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

It's true. I've been guilty of this as well, but if I see an exp party in the area I want to take on, I move on. I hit places where exp is popular. Beetles in Western Altepa Desert, for example. However, when there's 5 parties (exp) camping on Revelation's Rock, I don't be an asshat like some JP and NA 75 NINs and camp on them. I go more outside of the area, taking on Anticans and Desert Manticores, which no exp party would want to take.

Anywho ... I just think SE needs to open different and new zones, maybe another 60 new zones with half of them where NPCs cannot be used (Make those zones prime areas for exp) This should solve the problem...

...or not. There will be someone out there who won't be happy about something, that's for sure.

Comment

Are you seriously suggesting that Non-mage jobs solo with NPC on lizzies and goblins? Get real. Post people powerleveling thier NPCs would rather not have them die to bomb toss and don't even get me started on petrify....
              Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
              http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

Originally posted by capitalistnihilist
                Are you seriously suggesting that Non-mage jobs solo with NPC on lizzies and goblins? Get real. Post people powerleveling thier NPCs would rather not have them die to bomb toss and don't even get me started on petrify....
                No ... I think they were talking about in instances where there's a full PT of NPC leveling players (3 Players + 3 NPCs) Those parties tend to suck the exp mobs like a Hoover.

Also, if you were going to solo, how were you going to do it once your NPC gets higher in level? You'll end up subbing WHM or NIN in the end... so I fail how to see we need to be distinguishing between "non-mage" and "mage" jobs in this discussion...

Comment

I have to agree with those that say that people are not thinkin of other ideas.... I personally havent level my NPC that much, but i plan to start soon. Is castle zhaval a place where you could call your npc? If so... wouldnt it be a good place?

Comment

if you are power leveling your npc, im assuming your a high lvl player, if not 75. at 75 theres SO MANY places to take your npc other than standard xp camps. you have to be kidding me if you think xp camps are the only safe place to lvl. you can take down worms in kuftal if you dont want to kill crabs. you can goto tree and take down the gazillion mandys there. you can roam altepa and kill anticans. the only reason why ppl like to lvl in these places is bc they know its safe and they can possibly farm at the same time.

lazy. greedy. inconsiderate.

thats all it is.
                    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhound
                      I have to agree with those that say that people are not thinkin of other ideas.... I personally havent level my NPC that much, but i plan to start soon. Is castle zhaval a place where you could call your npc? If so... wouldnt it be a good place?
                      Iirc you can't summon your NPC in Castle Zvahl, but leveling it off the Demons outside of, and on the slopes leading up to, the Castle in Xarcabard is perfect.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
                      SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni-Ragnarok
                        if you are power leveling your npc, im assuming your a high lvl player, if not 75. at 75 theres SO MANY places to take your npc other than standard xp camps. you have to be kidding me if you think xp camps are the only safe place to lvl. you can take down worms in kuftal if you dont want to kill crabs. you can goto tree and take down the gazillion mandys there. you can roam altepa and kill anticans. the only reason why ppl like to lvl in these places is bc they know its safe and they can possibly farm at the same time.

lazy. greedy. inconsiderate.

thats all it is.
                        Couple of glaring problems with your post here.

1. Worms in Kuftal have 2 major problems. One being their tendancy to link and they will. The second is that some of the worm camps are nearby popular exp spots and also nearby where people like to solo on crabs/spiders. Worms have numerous AOE moves and spells that will no doubt piss off those around you. I have probably spend DAYS soloing in kuftal off spiders and crabs and have only seen someone fighting those worms once. That group almost got me killed when they attacked a group of worms right near where I was fighting.

2. Anticans? At level 75 these are mostly TWTBW or EP--- at best. When I'm leveling my NPC I prefer to actually get some limit points and seals out of the deal ^^.

3. Mandys? As a Ninja I can kill mandys for sure. However, this will cost me a buttload in extra shehi and we have the same linking issue I mentioned earlier. There is a good reasn for most exp pts steering clear of these little loudmouths.

I am not saying that someone with NPC out should just bumrush a campsite and kill every EXP mob in the joint. Obviously if you want to be a nice guy you should steer clear of spots where an established exp pt is camping. My beef is with PTs that show up after I have been down the waterfall in the tree killing steelshells for an hour and expect me to leave just because they arrived.
                        Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
                        http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

This is the same problem that bsts and standard exp pts have been arguing about since the game was made. They both wanted easy exp so they go after the easiest mobs to kill. There is no difference between a Bst wanting to lvl off a mob where pts go to and any other PC who wants to lvl their NPCs. As far as I'm concerned it should come down to who was there first. If someone was there lvling their NPC a good 10 minutes before your EXP pt arrived you have no right to complain about it, just find a new spot. If the person lvling their NPC shows up and starts killing things you've been lvling on for the past hour, then it's a problem and that person is an ass.

Either way this situation is not caused by NPCs, rather it's caused by lazy people who think they deserve something more then someone else.
                          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I am not saying that someone with NPC out should just bumrush a campsite and kill every EXP mob in the joint. Obviously if you want to be a nice guy you should steer clear of spots where an established exp pt is camping. My beef is with PTs that show up after I have been down the waterfall in the tree killing steelshells for an hour and expect me to leave just because they arrived.
                            I don't have a problem with this. You were there first, common courtesy applies if they were there first. Since it seems you're a considerate person and would not camp on top of an existing PT, I think the PT that complains to you are in the wrong.

Comment

People level in different places depending on the a regional control, influence, and how close it is to other nations, specifically to upgrade their armor.

Comment

Working...
                              X