This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will my PS2 last?

I've had it for about 2 years and it's in pretty good condition. I plan on returning to this game in a couple of weeks but I'm afraid in like a year or two my PS2 won't be running fast enough.. How long will my PS2 last?

Re: How long will my PS2 last?

It should last a good while, provided you take good care of it. My PS2 is going strong since I got it back in 2002. I have since purchased another PS2, imported from Okinawa on JAL ;3 It's the new one and it was sooooo cute. I mean, it's like 1/2" high and about 1/3 the size of my original one. /joy

Comment

Aeni, did you get the "sakura" colored slim?

That's the one I want

But, then people would think i'm gay because I have a "pink" PS2 .

And how much did it cost you to import.

Oh, back on topic, I bought my PS2 on release day, back in 2000, mine's still going strong, and gets use every day.

Just take care of it, and it'll last you a long long time.
      -Baka Inu!
      Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
      Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
      Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
      Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Originally posted by InuTrunks
        Aeni, did you get the "sakura" colored slim?
        Charcoal Black SCPH-70000 CB and it was not cheap. From some shop callled Tsutaya in Okinawa and I think it was 25,000 Yen. Since I brought it home on the plane, I guess you could say I saved shipping cost.

Comment

if you want to make it last as long as possible im pretty sure you shouldnt play dvd's on it, that wears down the laser alot faster... thats probobly the reason people always get disc read errors, because their laser is messed or something
          Originally posted by Blood Red Poet
          InuTrunks is just mad, because I ate his baby.

Comment

I dunno, I've used my PS2 to watch DVDs plenty of times.

It still runs perfectly, and I've had it since day one in the USA. Just take good care of it and you'll be fine.
            PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
            Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
            WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
            Currently Playing:
            FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

I had the original PS2 bought when it came out, last year the laser went, (its the only thing that doesn't last) I bought for £100 a new slimline PS2 and other than having to change the adapter (due to it possibly being faulty, "product recall") its doing well, Its sat ready to take FF12 whe its released next year . As mentioned in another thread, when the PS3 comes out the price of the PS2 will drop like teh PSone did, so it should last till then.

Comment

My PS2 has broken down for the third time since I have owned it and will not play any type of disc however since FFXI does not require a disc to play it runs perfectly off the HD. Lets just hope I don't have to install the game again.
                We will fight, we will be strong
                Together we're marching on
                United we move as one
                Our finest hour has just begun

Comment

Well got mine at Release Day too and works fine. It's laser just recently got messed up, not due to design flaw or anything but a friend who thought it to be a good idea to use the air can on the lense

Outside of having to get the laser replaced now it's fine, but since Laser costs nearly as much as a new PS2 I'm considering just seeing if I can find more idiots on E-Bay selling a PS2 thinking it doesn't work and is only because of their lack of knowledge for proper care of electronic devices.

As far as technology goes if you follow all the guides for care of electronic devices down to exact specifics or better then any electronic device should last at least 14 years. Of course as new technology comes out it'll eventually become obsolete before then....

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I have a first gen PS2. I take pristine care of it, and even then its a bit laggy on the startup of games, but thats about it. As others have said, if you take good care of it, it will last you many many years.

Comment

I'll probablyplay this game till college.So probably about 3-5 years of play for this game.

Comment

What everyone has already stated, your PS2 should last for a long while, provided you take care of it. Some notable systems that still work to this day for me ...

Commodore 64 (1985 ...?) well, my uncle has it but it still works ...
                        Atari 2600 (1986 ...?) ditto like above ...
                        SNES (1992) still works ...
                        N64 (1996) still works ...
                        GBC (1997) still works ...
                        PSX (1998) still works ...
                        GBA (2001) still works ...
                        PS2 (2002) still works ...

Heck, even my Sony VAIO laptop from 1998 still works (Don't worry, I bought a DELL laptop 2 years ago so I'm not that outdated) Only crappy HP printers haven't been good to me. F U HP!

So yeah, take good care of your electronic equipment and they'll take good care of you. Generally speaking, have general housecleaning in your room and you shouldn't have issues with dust. If you have equipment that die after 6 mos. due to overheating problem, you should ...

(1) Stop what you are doing and go book an appointment to see an allergist.
                        (2) Invest in a vacuum cleaner and start cleaning up your room.
                        (3) Go buy a fan or something.

Comment

Commodore 64 and the Atari should start experiencing stability problems since they are past 14 years. Doesn't mean that they won't work, just means their efficiency should take a bad hit by now. Of course that also depends on if the devices parts had been replaced at sometime or not.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

The only console I own that doesn't work 100% today is my NES. But it didn't work 100% that long ago anyways.
                            PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                            Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                            WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                            Currently Playing:
                            FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

haha i would like to call myself a system collector but i wont>,,> i was born into video games an still cant stop lol 2 ps2's on original release in japan another original release in america. i got kinda POed to find out the new slim ps2's have the HDD already >.> but on the subject i take real good care of my equipment even when i play for 14hrs+
                              The Last and Only Samurai, All Shall Die at My Blade

Comment

Working...
                              X