This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Role-Playing Back to FFXI

Hello everyone. I'm posting this in the general forum because I'd like to appeal to people of all servers because I have an offer.

Some friends and I have been playing FFXI for 2 years now, and we've noticed that the amount of people whom we can readily RP with has dwindled sufficiently. Searching for these scarce entities has become our own mission, within the game. We have created the Linkshell EX POTENTIA TOTUS, which in Latin, loosely means "The Power Within Us All". We're but four members right now. Sad, I know. But we are always looking for more people to join. Always.

I know that creating a new character just for the sake of being with a band of RPers is probably going to sound like a horrible idea to 98% of you, but if you are like me, and miss the company of the imaginative, conversational, and the literate, I am more than happy to purchase World Passes for you (we'll talk).

However, if you are a resident of the Remora server and have been unable to RP just because there haven't been many to do it with, we welcome you with open arms.

Please, even if you don't want to make a new character or even if you're on the Remora server and have a linkshell you like, let me know! It's always nice to FIND the RPers, and know they exist.

Re: Bringing Role-Playing Back to FFXI

this game is final fantasy, you don't NEED to roleplay.

Comment

Hm could you please explain what exactly RP is? I know its RolePlaying but what do you do then ; ;? Ive only heard that from ppl from WoW but didnt get it <.<
      My Character: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?12244

Genkai 1: (X)
      Genkai 2: (X)
      Genkai 3: ( )
      Genkai 4: ( )
      Genkai 5: ( )

AF 1 (X)
      AF 2 (X)
      AF 3 (X)
      AF 4 (X)
      AF 5 (X)
      AF 6 (X)

Goals:

-Get Hauby
      -Get THF to 37
      -Get WAR to 37
      -Complete G3

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Red Poet
        this game is final fantasy, you don't NEED to roleplay.
        I must not have elaborated enough. Do you think that half of the people on this game even know what the story is or means? Or even pretend like they do? When I refer to RPers, I mean people who relate to the story, who talk like they're a member of Vana'diel, who pretend like the stuff in the game is actually happening and it's effecting them. I'd rather spend time with people who enrich my experience with some of their own storytelling, not the ones who are always like "lol taht pug just ownd u, noob^^"

Yes, FFXI is a role-playing game. But I'm searching for the people that play the roles.

Double Post Edited:
        Originally posted by Kuy555
        Hm could you please explain what exactly RP is? I know its RolePlaying but what do you do then ; ;? Ive only heard that from ppl from WoW but didnt get it <.<
        My idea of role-playing is that you're using your imagination to come up to your friends in-game, and in /say mode, speak AS your character. You use creative ways of making conversation, endulge in your own made-up story lines. Some might argue that it's just a grown-up version of "playing pretend." But I see it as building your own sort of fantasy novel with the help of others. You're spontaneously building your own story with twists and turns created and set by others.
        Last edited by Xhaztol; 08-06-2005, 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

FFxi isn't a RP game... It never was even in the consoles...

Besides the multi-cultural problem, there are a lot of, "non RP elements" that are taken out for sake of "fun".

If you want an RP MMO, you would probably needs MUDs, or games that are embeded in the right comunities, Middle earth online maybe, D&D online, etc.

To expand... for one thing, an online game would have to have an "active" GM(in every name of the word) to enforce and guide RP players. And would need to slice up the community into manageable "guilds" each headed by a GM to be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Xhaztol
            I must not have elaborated enough. Do you think that half of the people on this game even know what the story is or means? Or even pretend like they do? When I refer to RPers, I mean people who relate to the story, who talk like they're a member of Vana'diel, who pretend like the stuff in the game is actually happening and it's effecting them. I'd rather spend time with people who enrich my experience with some of their own storytelling, not the ones who are always like "lol taht pug just ownd u, noob^^"
            If you payed attention to the opening movie and pay attention to the mission dialogue, any one can understand what the story is about.

And, in FFXI, you can only remotely "role-play". You're bound to what the game and story will allow you do. Unlike a P&P RPG, where you can actually do what you want and act out your character to your hearts content, you cannot work around the game's mechanics. FFXI isn't an RPG. RPG is just a misnomer for the game mechanics ( Level-up, Abilities, HP, swords...etc)

So all you are doing is acting out someone in Vana'Diel...no, FFXI.
            Last edited by Agnastar; 08-06-2005, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Role-playing is fun, I definately want to find some time to do it when I get FFXI.

Comment

I can imagine its a fun thing but the bad thing is there are not many ppl on FFXI that do this i think ; ;
                My Character: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?12244

Genkai 1: (X)
                Genkai 2: (X)
                Genkai 3: ( )
                Genkai 4: ( )
                Genkai 5: ( )

AF 1 (X)
                AF 2 (X)
                AF 3 (X)
                AF 4 (X)
                AF 5 (X)
                AF 6 (X)

Goals:

-Get Hauby
                -Get THF to 37
                -Get WAR to 37
                -Complete G3

Comment

well in every mmorpg, roleplaying has always been made possible by the players, not the game itself ^^ I enjoy hanging around with roleplaying community too.

The RPer in FFXI is quite rare imo. best luck to your LS, i'm sure there will be RPers out there somewhere.
                  There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                  but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                  transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Write a fan fic, if you want to see some roles ;o.

Comment

Originally posted by FFfan321123
                      Role-playing is fun, I definately want to find some time to do it when I get FFXI.
                      Make sure to keep in touch with me, if you want, there's a spot for you in our LS.

Double Post Edited:
                      Originally posted by kuu
                      If you want an RP MMO, you would probably needs MUDs, or games that are embeded in the right comunities, Middle earth online maybe, D&D online, etc.

To expand... for one thing, an online game would have to have an "active" GM(in every name of the word) to enforce and guide RP players. And would need to slice up the community into manageable "guilds" each headed by a GM to be effective.
                      It's not that at all. It's not that I'm trying to bring every person over and make them RP. I'm in no way enforcing it, either. I'm only appealing to those who like to do so. I didn't intend for this to turn into a debate on whether or not it's correct to do. We've the freedom to RP, so I'm only on the lookout for people who'd like to participate. If you don't want to and are just going to make opinions on behalf of the non-RP community, that's really not what I was asking for. Nor do I feel like being treated as some sort of idiot for saying these things. I feel like I should just retract what I've said.

It's not a matter of "is FFXI right for RP" or "You don't need it in this game" or "it's not possible" because that's all speculation. It's a player's right to RP just like it's a player's right not to. Need we argue over what I'm truly trying to get at?
                      Last edited by Xhaztol; 08-06-2005, 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Gah! Will you guys stop picking on Xhaztol? If you don't want to or like to RP in a mmorpg, why berate him (dare I say troll?) or tell him "no you should do this or that instead?" It's gonna be hard enuf for him to find ppl who wants to rp as it is, let's not make it harder for him.

He knows the kinda ppl/community he wants to have around him. We should stop trying to change his mind and encourage him.

I met a rp'er in Dunes in November of '03. The only one I ever met in game. He was lvl 7, but was making a supply run to Dunes "for the sake of his Kingdom." He was a riot and everyone enjoyed his presence even if most thought he was weird. ^^ There was another rp'er on a forum. I forget his name but his character was a galka who thought he was a taru. He was very funny.

Not everyone enjoys the xp grind, hnm drama, etc. Some ppl would prefer to make this game fun on their own terms.

I wish you luck finding ppl Xhaztol. ^^

Title: Sergeant Major
                        SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                        Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                        Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                        Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

That's an extreme thing, and is trying to building a card house to live in.

You can say it's all about the imagination of players alone, but that's a naive, thought process, because like all dream vs reality ideals, it's incredibly stressful when you have a hostile environment to your goals, which is what ffxi and other mmo's to RPing.

So... I would /blist 90% of the population such that I can throw myself and close knit into a RP fantasy world.

Not saying you can't, but it's just making yourself a bunch of trouble, for something that can be easily solved by not using FFxi as an extension to RP.

Imagination must be fueled by supportive process, that is why game mechanics DOES matter. GMs are a main source of old pen and paper RP. They are both enforcers and guides. Your RP books are another.

FFxi on the other hand is way on the anti-friendly RP scale.(this does not mean no fun) Not only must you interact with a community on a daily basis that is un RP, but the game itself forces you to into un-RP situations, such as cross-culturalism, and the pt system.

It is much better to RP out of ffxi, segrigate yourself just like you don't sprout old-english in the workplace. It's much more enjoyable when the "mood" is right.

Comment

Originally posted by fastcart
                            I wish you luck finding ppl Xhaztol. ^^
                            Thanks, bud. I really appreciate it.

Double Post Edited:
                            Originally posted by kuu
                            So... I would /blist 90% of the population such that I can throw myself and close knit into a RP fantasy world.
                            But see, I'm not doing that. I'm not carrying RP where it isn't wanted. I'm not forcing it into settings that will alter the "mood" as you say. I'm putting it where it's welcome, and that's to other players who like that. That's why I'm offering a linkshell for it. It's something people that have something in common can do together if they want to. We're not going to bother the non-RPers. That's not what we're about. I know when to drop it if I'm around people who don't appreciate it.

And sure, GMs were a big part of P&P RPGs, but that's not what this is. The game was built with a chat log, and so I don't understand what you seem to have a problem with in accordance to me wanting to use it for roleplay now and then!
                            Last edited by Xhaztol; 08-06-2005, 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i would like to roleplay, but its hard to find ppl

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X