This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EXP Change of July 2005.

The latest update makes a few changes to the way EXP can be acquired. According to the update notes, players can now gain EXP from a wider range of enemies. The EXP acquired from Easy Prey and Decent Challenge enemies has increased.

Seeing as how the line in Eldieme Necropolis for the Fellowship Quest NM was 80+ players long and I had already died at the hands of the NM once before because of a rather unfortunate slipup, I thought I'd test out the EXP change for myself.

I went to Passhow Marshlands with my lv30 THF/NIN and took on a few Easy Preys.

My first victim was a Carniverous Crawler, which conned as Easy Prey with low Evasion and Defense. After disposing of the creature I gained 20 EXP.

The second monster was a Gadfly, conning at the same Easy Prey with low Evasion and Defense. I gained 15 EXP from the Gadfly.

After that I engaged a Goblin Gambler, which also conned as Easy Prey with Low Evasion and Defense. I gained 25 EXP from the Goblin Gambler.

I decided to up the ante and take on a Goobbue, also conning Easy Prey with Low Evasion and Defense. It took a little longer, naturally, but I gained 29 EXP from the Goobbue.

Finally, I thought I'd take a risk and do battle with a Malboro, conning at Easy Prey with Low Evasion. The first half of the battle went well, as the Morbol struggled to make its way past my shadows, and didn't manage to hit me once until it became aggrivated and sprayed me with its Bad Breath. Of course, this handicapped me greatly, and it brought me down to Critical Condition before I was able to gain enough TP for a Burning Blade, which finished it off. I gained a whopping 41 EXP from the Easy Prey Malboro.

After that I kinda let my victories get to my head, and I was stupid enough to try and take on a Decent Challenge Water Element. Thankfully, I was able to Flee after it cast Drown on me and it became apparent that my chubby Tarutaru butt would be found floating in the marsh a few days later if I didn't act fast. I ran as fast as I could, aggroing a couple of Goobbues on my way to the zone and nearly being beaten to an adorable little bloody pulp. I decided to wait until I have someone else with me to try any DCs, even if they weren't Elements.

So there you have it, my experiences with the EXP changes and Easy Prey monsters. Here's a little recap.

Carniverous Crawler: EP-- = 20 EXP.
    Gadfly: EP-- = 15 EXP.
    Goblin Gambler: EP-- = 25 EXP.
    Goobbue: EP-- = 29 EXP.
    Malboro: EP- = 41 EXP.
    Water Element: DC = Me running my ass off.

I'd like to hear any comments and analysis about the changes. I expect the EXP changes for DC mobs is even more significant, and can enable groups of 2 or 3 players to EXP efficiently when unable to get access to a full party able to take on VTs and ITs.

UPDATE: On my way home to Jeuno I took on a Brass Quadav in Rolanberry Fields, which conned at Decent Challenge with Low Evasion but High Defense. I managed to screw up my Sneak Attack at the beginning of the battle so it was a little tougher than I expected, but I was shocked to find myself acquiring 72 EXP from the Decent Challenge enemy. This is a much larger adjustment than I expected to get from a monster I was able to solo with few problems.
    Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 07-19-2005, 04:48 PM.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Re: The EXP Change of July 2005.

I'm interested in finding out if the Prom mission locations can now be a area for players at or above the level cap to exp in ^^

Comment

I'd say so. The possibility of being able to take on EP and DC Empties with 2 or 3 of my friends and gain such decent EXP is intriguing.
      Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

nice.. But you might have went a bit more smoothly if you had your NPC buddy
        i can't wait to join ya.. *same Server*
        (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
        sigpic

Comment

from 36 to 41 hmm i'll try DC and EM ^^
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

That's another thing I was thinking about. The EXP change and the NPC Buddy addition go hand in hand, perhaps as a gesture from Square Enix to make players wishing to "solo" and gain good EXP. With this having been done, I can definitely see myself with my NPC buddy soloing EP and DC mobs and gaining a pretty good rate of EXP.
            Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

The npc buddy will take away the extra exp you gain taking you back to the origanal, youll just be able to kill the stuff quicker and more of it.
              75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
              Woodworking 91.9+2
              ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

What scares me is how those quiet areas are not going to be so quiet for long ; ;

/shout Raise @ <pos>
                /shout TRAIN!!!
                /shout WF?!?!

*shudders*

I kind of like the peace and quiet ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolus
                  The npc buddy will take away the extra exp you gain taking you back to the origanal, youll just be able to kill the stuff quicker and more of it.
                  Yea i was gonna mention XP/Hour

just like how a PT could kill a VT every 2 min for 140+XP vs. an IT for 200~ XP every 6-7 min.. the same may apply to this... you'll just be killing faster possibly...
                  (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
                  sigpic

Comment

I think the XP change is mostly going to affect level 50+ players.

It is at that point that the level range of what's EP through IT widens as is, I think they just went and widened it further.

I'm still stuck updating, but if someone with a high lv job can wander through a place where the mobs used to just *barely* be Too Weak, it should be easy enough to see what Squenix has done.

Rank 8 Windhurst | Zilart Mission 15 | CoP Mission 4-2

Comment

i read that with NPC, you gain 70% exp from the kill. so possible, monsters that gave 50exp before will still maintain the 50 after patch with NPC out fighting with us maybe.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Having a npc out is the same as having a pet out for a bst from what i understand xp whise.

Comment

took on a bunch of topaz, gold, ancient quadav this afternoon. all i can say is exp increase where??? they gave no better exp today then they did prior to the patch. still averaged between 12 or 15 on ep- -, an 21 or 25 on ep- +,

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I soloed a Tough Steelshell last night. I got 160 xp for it. Anyone know how much it would have been before the update? (I was Lv. 72)
                            88.6+2 - Smithing
                            60 - Cooking
                            60 - Clothcraft
                            60 - Leathercrafting
                            60 - Woodworking
                            54 - Goldsmithing
                            40 - Bonecraft

Comment

Even Match, Tough, Very Tough and Incredibly tough don't give more EXP, from what I understand. I believe only certain Easy Prey and Decent Challenge monsters have been altered to give more exp, i.e. tougher ones for various level ranges, such as the EP Malboro giving 41 EXP.
                              Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Working...
                              X