Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SE has GOT to evolve their FFXI update system!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE has GOT to evolve their FFXI update system!

This network congestion crap and several hours of solid POL-1160 has got to be fixed. The update download system they use for FFXI is so archaic. I don't see why they can't release an offline patch file that can be distributed through mirrors, fileplanet, etc. For christ sake, has anyone ever reinstalled FFXI and had to patch it up to current version? Even without network congestion that takes HOURS on a broadband connection for the 12k+ files now that have to be scanned and downloaded.

They could at least update the POL browser to have a queueing system that can conserve bandwidth and keep downloads relatively fast for connected users by queueing up anyone beyond the maximum number of connections so their downloads automatically start when a connection is available.

Every single time an update is released they have at least one or two bulletins on their POL site about network congestion issues telling users to "try again later". Look, I tried at 6am this morning, and again at 10am. It's after 2pm now and I'm still experiencing the same old crap. The worst part is that I actually connected and started the update TWICE now and it scanned all 1145 files involved the version update, and I was met with a POL-1160 after it finished scanning all the files and tried to start downloading. Each time that happens, it has to start all over again and scan all 1145 files before starting the download, which again fails. This update system is the weakest link in this game.

Being someone who actually designs networks for speed, efficiency and quality of service, all I have to say is L-A-M-E.
    Kurgan @ Ramuh
    NIN75, PLD75, BST75, WHM75
    TrionsDeathCrew linkshell leader
    Ranks: Sandoria(10) Bastok(9) Windurst(8)
    On ZM14, CoP missions completed.
    Leather 92.8+1, Cloth 60, Smithing 45, Alchemy 27

Re: SE has GOT to evolve their FFXI update system!

Yay, first to reply, and say Stop whining.

Someone obviously never stepped into the MMO world before. Nothing new here.

Comment

Realize they have a single codebase for Windows and PS2 version, and that if updates were distributed offline, there woudl be no way for PS2 users to get the updates.
      88.6+2 - Smithing
      60 - Cooking
      60 - Clothcraft
      60 - Leathercrafting
      60 - Woodworking
      54 - Goldsmithing
      40 - Bonecraft

Comment

Even with whatever technology that comes up like bit torrent, or file planet, the 1st 12 hour up is always jammed no matter how it's done.

It's a natural DoS attack. with massive server checking.

Comment

It is annoying ;o. They should add more download servers.

Comment

Exactly this is nothing new. I've had worse experiences with other games. I always plan on not playing for several hours or even a full day after a patch. I try but I don't get very frustrated because its just the way it goes.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

i agree SE needs to fix it. waiting about 2 days for one damn patch is sad.

Comment

I too find this utterly rediculous. Its not a matter of "never stepped into the MMO world before". Its a simple matter of how SE handles these updates being embarrasingly stupid. To code a simply download management and queue system would not be overly difficult. To sit here and not "whine" as you put it, would be even more embarrassing. SE's system is completely antiquated, regardless of it being a dual update for ps2 and windows users, it needs to be fixed. As for it being a natral ddos attack, I would agree, but then again if they were smart there wouldnt be thousands of people spamming the "retry" button every 2 seconds to get on.
                75BRD, 75NIN, 75SMN, 67RDM, 56WHM
                Rank 10 Windurst | Rank 10 Bastok | Rank 8 Sand'Oria
                Zilart COMPLETE | Promathia COMPLETE
                Smithing 78+1 Cooking 60 Fishing 21

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?3004
                http://niwaar.livejournal.com

Comment

I like how WoW implemented a BitTorrent style system to download their patch. I'm guessing the reason why SE doesn't go via. fileplanet.com method is because it costs money to have them host a file? Not everyone has the same patches that's why there's a checker in the system to check. I.E. if I freshly installed the game right now, and downloaded this patch, I would be missing a lot of patches from the release date till now. Your only downloading july's patch, not all the previous months and year's patchs.

I agree that they need to do something about this, but when they do cross platform programming this is the stuff you end up with.

Plus side if it was a downloadable file, all the window pc users can get their files first from another site, while the ps2 users can download it from SE's server. Allocated resources in a sense. (I spelled sense right!!!)
                  Hacked on 9/9/09
                  FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

yeah like 500,000 subscribers x 12.95 at least, a month is millions i believe and they cant fork over less than 5% of that monthly profit for top end 2005 server software and hardware so PS2 and PC users everywhere can update successfully anytime anyday of the month, the same month which they have payed for 12.95 in advance at least not including additional fees such as addiditional content IDs.....greedy a$$ Square-Enix

Almost every "major" update this always happens I can't believe they still don't get the point and continue to make their customers angry and unsatisfied mostly even if temporarily thats bad.
                    RDM 50/SAM 38/WAR 24/BLM 27/WHM 30/SMN 50/DRG 23/NIN 20/MNK14/PLD14/BRD12
                    Shiva,Ifrit,Ramuh,Leviathan,Garuda,Titan Obtained.

Comment

Roughly 6.5 million dollars a month.

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
                      RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

They should have one server which can handle two hundred to three hundred thousand connections which basically does nothing except route you and queue you and keep track of download server's status. Download servers can inform this server when their status changes and then routing server can eventually send you to the appropraite server.

When you first click the button to update, it can say "connecting to update server." and connect to the routing server. The routing server could respond to the client with a queue position, and the client could simply sit there, connected to the routing server indefinitely while it waits to be queued in to the download. Frankly this would not be that hard and I see no technical reason why it can't be implemented other than laziness perhaps. Furthermore, they could even display your position to you as it gets updated, so you have an approximate idea how much longer it's going to be.
                        88.6+2 - Smithing
                        60 - Cooking
                        60 - Clothcraft
                        60 - Leathercrafting
                        60 - Woodworking
                        54 - Goldsmithing
                        40 - Bonecraft

Comment

Why is everyone freaking out that they can't play this game for a couple of days? >.> its good to go get fresh air, and some of the people in game/from these forums really need to go do something else for a few hours. Cbot comes to mind...

fk yes

Comment

Originally posted by divisortheory
                            They should have one server which can handle two hundred to three hundred thousand connections which basically does nothing except route you and queue you and keep track of download server's status. Download servers can inform this server when their status changes and then routing server can eventually send you to the appropraite server.

When you first click the button to update, it can say "connecting to update server." and connect to the routing server. The routing server could respond to the client with a queue position, and the client could simply sit there, connected to the routing server indefinitely while it waits to be queued in to the download. Frankly this would not be that hard and I see no technical reason why it can't be implemented other than laziness perhaps. Furthermore, they could even display your position to you as it gets updated, so you have an approximate idea how much longer it's going to be.
                            Yeah and if they don't have someone that specializes in what your saying, they could always hire another S-EX employee god forbid that is too much to ask considerthing on average of 6 million in revenue.

Originally posted by 711rocks
                            Why is everyone freaking out that they can't play this game for a couple of days? >.> its good to go get fresh air, and some of the people in game/from these forums really need to go do something else for a few hours. Cbot comes to mind...
                            You have to keep in mind not everyone is the same, some people really want the most bang for their buck even if that means no fresh air for long periods of time because they are playing a game they enjoy alot, also because not everyone is the same as you or others and we are different mostly, this interfears with peoples schedules some may only have these few days to play until another month and essentially their entire month is waisted because they were unable to play when their only chance to was destroyed because of Square-Enix's neglence on improvements on handling their problems.
                            RDM 50/SAM 38/WAR 24/BLM 27/WHM 30/SMN 50/DRG 23/NIN 20/MNK14/PLD14/BRD12
                            Shiva,Ifrit,Ramuh,Leviathan,Garuda,Titan Obtained.

Comment

Originally posted by 711rocks
                              Because Im not paying to go outside and get some fresh air or do something else, I'm paying to pay this game and I "should" be able to even if I dont want to, its called customer relations and we are moaning because SE are shit at it.
                              Last edited by Aeolus; 07-19-2005, 11:28 AM.
                              75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
                              Woodworking 91.9+2
                              ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Working...
                              X