X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: July 18th Patch Notes

Notes on a couple posts:

- Leaping boots et al that currently exist in the game will not be changed to Rare/EX. This update concerns changing the method of obtaining them from now on. As such they no longer drop from the NMs they used to.

- "Possibility" of the new Rare/EX item dropping does not refer to the fact that it can drop a non-Rare/EX too. Otherwise they wouldn't say they have changed the method of obtaining them. The possiblity refers to the fact that these new Rare/EX are not 100% drops. If the drop rate has improved at all, it remains to be seen.

Comment:

Why archer rings? What the hell? These are just an ingredient for sniper rings. No one is going to go try to get archer rings from stropers now because they'll just get something that can't be guilded into a sniper. I imagine this will do nothing but drive up the price of snipers further, especially the HQs. Then again, if they make stropers drop an EX sniper ring, then I could see the point.

I admit the problem in ordelles was bad, but this seems like a pretty stupid solution. (Other items sound good, though)
    Gatts - PLD75/WAR37
    and you call your self a canadian

PiNG broke my sig and all I got was this T-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
      The Fellowship Quest looks great, and like I thought it seems they made the NPC controllable via <ft> somehow. So in a way it is like getting another member but is being controlled to a degree by a player in the party.
      This is not control persay as it is a way to macro /ma "Cure II" <ft> and have it target your specific NPC. The real question I will have here is what are the limitations on the "call" of these npc's? Do we get 1 call per 2hours, ala Dragoon's Wyvern? Do we get it once or twice a day total? Do we get to select the job/race of this person? How will they interact with us, say as a tank, support mage, skillchain partner? Or will they just be stupid fools running around getting aggro as you run carefully through zones? Will you be able to buff them as well as cure them? Lots of questions loom over this quest/npc friend. If the "call" time is short, these will end up as either perma farming buddies, or "oh crap, got aggro, time for George to keep it at bay while I run my tail off to the zone!"

As for the rest...

"New" Ex Drops -- Quite frankly I see this as an idiotic move on SE's part. Sure there are gilsellers monopolizing Ordelle's but really, how bad are the other camps? With the exception of Argus, I don't really see any of these as too horrible of camps. Over the course of my game play, I have camped them all and have seen drops from all (sans Argus). These items are extremely good things, that should not have been ex'd. If se wanted to effect the gilfarmers camping in Ordelle's there were much better options, i.e add a new synthesis recipe for sniper's with an alternative main ingrediant. The next question is, what does this do to Sniper's? Sure there are no more gilsellers in ordelle's, but this in turn is going to send the price of a single sniper's ring through the roof. Just look what removing astral from oztroja did to it (300k-1000k) in an extremely short interval. While leeping boots >> winged boots is a purely luxury synth, this will indoubtably effect the price of the latter in much the same way. As for Argus, I can honestly see this as a smart move on SE's part. I was hoping for a similar ex item dropped from a new NM, but Argus's drop being changed is also a nice luxury. I just hope for all those friends who spent weeks of sleepless nights (you know who you are ninja), that the new method of obtaining the charm is equally painful and not just some rare drop from an ENM/BCNM that 5 blm's can go in and do in under 60seconds (stupid scorp bc killed the economy just as much as any gilseller did). While on this subject, I would have to say that I am extremely dissapointed in SE for while they addressed gilsellers and the most heavily botted nm in the game they did not fully address these things. Drops from Serket/KA/Simurgh/Cassie, have also become increasingly targets for both gilsellers and botters and while the Peacock Charm is a good start, SE could have actually made a real difference in a lot of people's "game lives" by effecting changes in these 4 NM's as well.

While I can honestly, say I was looking forward to this update, I am actually more dissapointed by what I felt was such promise created by the preupdate new items. The ninja tools bags will be an extreme help, the utsusemi nerf will hurt a bit more than any other "nerf" in the game so far. I do however, believe that this "nerf" is actually meant to help rangers balance out their own "nerf" somewhat. If this effects ninja in any more than a minor way (in terms of xp) I will be extremely surprised. There are obviously new armor's, items, weapons, etc in this update as there are new recipes added. I would hope that SE saw fit to give us some visually interesting and actually useful items without the high price tag and painful material gathering process such that was the Barrone, Dragon, and (especially) Sha'ir body pieces.

Lastly, I have to simply laugh at a ballista nerf I noticed. Being a bard first and a summoner or ninja second, I would routinely go into ballista as smn/brd or nin/brd and sleep and kill people fairly easily. Gone are those days, I can say, I know more than a few people who are thanking their lucky stars for this, as well as a few people who are fuming that their sam/brd, smn/brd, nin/brd will no longer work the way it used to.
      75BRD, 75NIN, 75SMN, 67RDM, 56WHM
      Rank 10 Windurst | Rank 10 Bastok | Rank 8 Sand'Oria
      Zilart COMPLETE | Promathia COMPLETE
      Smithing 78+1 Cooking 60 Fishing 21

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?3004
      http://niwaar.livejournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Xuande
        Comment:

Why archer rings? What the hell? These are just an ingredient for sniper rings. No one is going to go try to get archer rings from stropers now because they'll just get something that can't be guilded into a sniper.
        hmm I'm *feeling* you'll be able to craft the EX ones too. Not only archers, leaping is also an ingradient for wing boots.

Double Post Edited:
        Originally posted by Niwaar
        I would routinely go into ballista as smn/brd or nin/brd and sleep and kill people fairly easily. Gone are those days
        From the sound of it, it's gone for the better tomorrow. So cheap, so easy.
        Last edited by Jei; 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
          hmm I'm *feeling* you'll be able to craft the EX ones too. Not only archers, leaping is also an ingradient for wing boots.
          If these are EX, then that means the crafter would have to camp these mobs just to synth Sniper Rings. Depending on how the new ones are now aquired, I imagine that Sniper Rings(+1) prices will go on the rise again.

Comment

Niwaa, yeah sometimes the way the site posts stuff can confuse me. They really need someone with better grammar and wording skills looking over what they put on there

Still then it falls back to what are these NPCs going to be like then.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

snipers +1 would rise depending where archer rings are attained from. they could be attained from an average 1 hour NM now then less will be found. or they could be from a stroper chyme like mob with a short respawn time

Comment

Why do people keep making all kinds of strange presumptions about the new Ex items not being able to be used as ingredients for Winged Boots / Sniper's Rings / etc?
                88.6+2 - Smithing
                60 - Cooking
                60 - Clothcraft
                60 - Leathercrafting
                60 - Woodworking
                54 - Goldsmithing
                40 - Bonecraft

Comment

Originally posted by divisortheory
                  Why do people keep making all kinds of strange presumptions about the new Ex items not being able to be used as ingredients for Winged Boots / Sniper's Rings / etc?
                  Because then the crafter would be the only one who could guild it. This change is supposed to get rid of monopoly, not create it. A leather crafter could sit in ordelles/s.gusta all day long and make sniper/wing boots, which totally destroys the point of the "get it for yourself then leave" item SE seems to be shooting for.
                  Gatts - PLD75/WAR37
                  and you call your self a canadian

PiNG broke my sig and all I got was this T-shirt.

Comment

I agree with some of the folks here that said NM camps will NOT be empty post patch, because of this update. Just cause an item is RARE/EX, does not mean people won't be competing. Look at Wyvernpoacher Drachlox, its an NM that has been in the game for a while now with a RARE/EX drop. 8/10 times when I go to camp with a RNG friend of mine, there is competition. The other 2 times, competition shows up before WPD even pops. In addittion, 5/10 times somebody is camping that doesn't even have RNG to the required level. Now, take these previous experiences and apply them to NMs which items can be equips at Lv7-24, and you can already start to be annoyed by the competition before this update is even downloaded. HOWEVER, I still think this is a great update. For one, maybe it will make people realize that its not always gil sellers interfering with what you want. Sometimes, its just another legit player. When people come to this realization, maybe they will quit their bitching for a split second and realize what this game is about. What's this game about, you may ask? Time sinks. If you're not willing to put time into getting any item, you're not getting it. REGARDLESS of what SE does.
                    Typho - Elvaan - San d'Oria - Rank 10 - Titan

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

Before the update, a player who fought a monster without using auto-attack would retain his claim on the monster, even if he was KO’d in battle due to poison, etc. This has been fixed so that when the player dies, the monster becomes unclaimed.
                      Haha real funny SE... mocking me... You win this round Kobe Bryan.

Comment

anyone else already having trouble loging into pol ?
                        Midgard tarutaru
                        Bluntman
                        14BST/50WHM/26BLM/32WAR/34BRD/19MNK/16THF
                        LS:BushidoKnights

Comment

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news4928.shtml
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Looks like no getting the update eairly this time cause SE is doing POL and FFXI maintainence both at the same time.

Comment

i wonder if the gilsellers will still camp these nms..but jus try to sell ppl who are also camping. I know gilsellers camp morbolger in ordelles even tho it drops the rare/ex for quest. Why do they camp? because ppl r willing to pay for it :E. i hope this doesnt happen tho
                              Welcome to Bakanarok!

BRD 75, RDM 69, SMN 61, WHM 38, BLM 37, DRK 37

Comment

if they do HOPEFULLY square will get suspicious and act on it >.>

Comment

Working...
                                X