This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Valkrum?

It's a well known fact in this game that when you level up to around 10-12 in any job, your supposed to go to the Valkrum Dunes to begin your first parties.

What I am wondering is if there are any other parts in the game where you can start parties and level at 10-12 that won't be as crowded and competition for mobs like the dunes are sure to be?

Re: Alternatives to Valkrum?

If you don't have a subjob, then Dunes is the way to go.

If you have a subjob then (with most jobs), you can start solo on Highland worms at 9 or 10 until 12. With a decent party blaze thru lvl 12-14 on Gusgen Skeletons (very fast xp if you got a decent xp of everyone being lvl 11 or 12 at the start. can make lvl 14 in as little as 90 minutes and max 3 hrs). Or duo/trio Shakrami worms from 12 til 15-16. Then hop over to korokola tunnels for more worms from 16 to 19-20. Then kill even more worms in Qufim from 19 or 20 til 22. ^^

Hope this helps.

Title: Sergeant Major
    SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
    Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
    Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
    Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

First of all, you're not "supposed" to go to Valkurm. That's just what people do. And the reason nobody goes anywhere else? Because good luck getting enough people to go elsewhere unless you know them. Most people are too ignorant and/or lazy to do so even if you tell them about it and how awesome of exp it is.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Gusgen Mines, Korrokola Tunnel, Maze of Shakrami, Tahrongi Canyon, Buburimu Peninsula...all places ive XPed in the 10-20 range besides Valkrum Dunes.

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
        RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

Korroloka is most likely your best alternative to Valk...

Kynósoura :: 新しい犬星 :: The unfiltered meanderings of djplaeskool

Comment

Korroloka and Maze of Shakrami work great, just need to watch for aggro a lot since you're usually always moving hunting worms

http://corrderio.livejournal.com/ - Rants and other crap on my mind.

Comment

Which place is closest if i start in Sand'oria?

Comment

Unless you have a static party or otherwise can party with LS/trusted friends almost exclusively, I wouldn't recommend it.

The main reason why even experienced veterans still flock towarsd teh d00nz is a logistical one. As I'm sure you have observed, NA low level parties have an extremely high member turnover rate.

People do the "Oops! Gtg!" routine even after just 10 minutes of partying, so if you're trying to accomplish a random pickup party in a non-Valkurm zone, finding replacements is going to be hell. By the time your replacement WHM arrives, your BLM has to go walk the dog, and by the time you find a replacement BLM, your RDM has to go eat dinner, and meanwhile the PLD suddenly disconnects, never to return.
                Pounce (RETIRED) Mithra Bastok R.7 Titan server
                DRG 62 | RDM 65 | WAR 34 | SAM 30 | WHM 33 | BLM 33 | THF 15

(guess my name =P) Mithra Bastok R.1 Titan server
                MNK 18 | WAR 3
                Future NIN -_-

Comment

How do you get to the Maze of Shakrami? It sounds fun to just explore, which is one of my favorite parts of the game.
                  I crush up my pills and snort them like dust. They are my sugar. They are the sweetness in the days that have none. They drip through me like tupelo honey. Then they are gone. Then I need more. I always need more.

Sig thanks to Aksannyi of Dreams In Vana'diel

Comment

Originally posted by Xylaa
                    How do you get to the Maze of Shakrami? It sounds fun to just explore, which is one of my favorite parts of the game.
                    It's in Tahrongi Canyon to the east of the crag.

Comment

Warning though, exploring places without sneak or invis would frequently mean death.
                      noein 萌え

kagerou1.deviantart.com

Comment

It's not a maze at all >_>

Comment

Me and some LS mates tried out Carpenter's Landing. It sucks for 11-13. I think it would only be good for 10-11s, and you couldn't stay there long. Nothing aggros but Orcs, but everything links.
                          Trys - 67 BRD/WHM - Ragnarok (Active)

Comment

Plenty of alternative to Valkurm Dunes, I never get why people have to stick to Valkurm Dunes like every monster drops free peacock charm or something, SE designed it so it's basically a straight route to lv20 for new players of each nation. After you get chocobo, it's to each their own, I personally just stick to Korroloka, close to town and good exp, but some people prefer crowding themselves in dunes.

Bastok: Korroloka Tunnel(14-20, snipe worms or normal party), Gusgen mines, Passhow Marshland, Valkurm Dunes
                            Sandoria: Valkurm Dunes, Jugner Jungle
                            Bastok and Sandoria basically can share their hunting grounds because they are sorta close anyway.
                            Windurst: Tahrongi Canyon(it has slightly higher level range than the equivilent of Bastok or Sandoria), Maze of Shakrami(12-16, can start earlier if you have a snipe party), Buburimu Pennisula, Meriphreal mountain

As for exploring, my friend as a lv6 newbie went from Windurst to Sandoria, then Bastok.(without sneak or help) And I went to Bastok from Windurst as lv9, not knowing the way, got killed by sand bats, but if adventurers are fear of death, how do you explore? ^.~

Anyway, 1st post =p

Comment

Working...
                            X