This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballista Guide

I read the official POL guide for Ballista and didn't understand crap. It's utter shit in my opinion. Here's a detailed guide from my experience.

First thing you need before you can enter into Ballista is the license which is an Important Item.

-------
    Obtaining a License
    -------
    Requirements: Rank3, Level 30

1. Go talk to the Ballista NPC in your home nation and you get a cutscene that shows all the nation leaders in a conference room. After that the NPC will ask you to perform a task so choose "Yes" and then received 2 Important Items.

Sandoria = Elvaan near the North Sandoria exit to Ronfaure
    Excenmille D-9

Windurst = Mithra standing next to the door in the reception office in the Heaven's Tower.
    Mhabi Molkot

Bastok = Galka standing outside Cid's Workshop in the Metal Works 2nd floor.
    Invincible Shield G-8

2. Go to the other 2 nations and first talk to their Leader and get a cutscene then talk to the Ballista NPC of that nation to get an Important Item.

Note: Windurst leader can only be accessed by talking to the left taru at the reception desk (as I recall). Nothing will happen if you try to open the glowing door.

Sandoria = Destin
    Windurst = Star Sibyl
    Bastok = Karst

3. After you have got the 2 Important Items from their relevant nations, go to talk to your own nation leader. You should get another cutscene. After that ends, talk your nation's Ballista NPC to receive the license!

-------
    Entering/Ending Ballista Matches
    -------

Ballista matches are only fought in 3 areas: Meriphataud Mountains, Pashhow Marshlands, Jugner Forest.

To enter a match, go to each area's Outpost and there will be a Moogle near it. Talk to that moogle to find the next match details. I am not sure if there are matches happening all the time but follow this link to see the schedule in real Earth time.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news1842.shtml

also use this site

http://www3.big.or.jp/~wanpaku/FFXI/index.cgi

and go to the 月齢カレンダー section for Japanese real times

The entrance application period last for 30 mins real time and that time starts at 12:00PM Vanadiel time until 12:00AM Vanadiel time.

Next match details can be view by talking to the moogle once the previous match is already underway (unconfirmed).

Entrance application includes talking to the moogle once the period begin and then you will be presented with 3 option. I can't remember the exact order but I think it's

1. Rules
    2. Entrance/Exit
    3. Nothing

You select the 2nd option to enter and it will ask you to confirm with the fee shown. You cancel your application by selecting the option again after you have entered (I'm not sure if you get a refund or not).

Once the period ends and you are entered, the NPC "Herald" will spawn. Then you will automatically be placed on opposing sides facing the other team. Herald will say some shit (which I didn't understand cos it was Japanese) and then after you will automatically received a sneak and invis. The match starts when you see Laisser aller! on your screen. It look like when you receive a rank up.

Matches last 1 hour.

End of the match happens automatically with the words Victoire! or Echec depending if you win or lose. After you see that you will spawn back at the outpost. Remember to talk to moogle again if you win to collect your reward gil.

Tips: It's safer to enter into a group before the match starts, running around solo is pretty brave but stupid. Just ask a leader you see of your nation if you can join their group.

-------
    Ballista Objective
    -------

The gameplay of Ballista simply involve finding an item called a Petra and simply throwing them into a castle-like NPC called a Rook.

You can find these Petra by using the Ballista command ingame /quarry.

Using the /quarry command makes your character temporarily crouch and search the ground. If you find a Petra your game interface will show a ( O x 1). Means you have 1 Petra. You can hold multiple Petras and even steal or mug your opponents if they are holding some (THF abilities only).

After you have the Petra simply find a Rook and throw it in to score by simply examining the Rook. Your character will do a throw animation and the Rook will light up. You have to wait 5 seconds before you can score again.

You can only throw your Petra in if you defeat an opposing player and achieve a status called "Gate Breach" or some shit like that. The POL website says that if the Rook is unguarded and left with few people nearby, you can score without having to defeat an opposing player. Gate breach status is shown with a * next to the number of Petras you have.

Rooks will change positions around the Ballista Area every so often by there will be system notices of that.

Of course you can forget these rooks and petras altogether and just slaughter anyone you see.

-------
    Ballista Commands
    -------

/Quarry
    This command simply searches the ground around you for Petras. But you can also find other useful items like Elixirs and Poison Potions and others. Items found are automatically used.

/Sprint
    If you are not holding any Petras, you can use this command for a temporary Flee (Tonzura) effect. There is a recharge time but I have no idea what that is.

/Scout
    use this command to locate a Rook. I don't know quite how it works but I think it has something to do with coordinates on the map.

------
    K.O.s
    ------

Usually you will get smacked up at least once (more if you are blood thirsty and toooo brave).

If you die, you will fall to the ground as usual and you will see a timer (I remember 40 seconds which increase the more you die). When you are dead you can:-
    - Choose to be raised (simply not worth it at all)
    - Wait for the timer to end then automatically be raised
    - Return to camp (like returning to HP) which are points on the outer sides of the area (takes awhile to walk back)

Also look at the POL website for further details of the effects of the options you choose (http://www.playonline.com/comnewsus/200404225213.html).

-------
    Tips
    -------

- If you have a good bow skill and am really wanting to kill your friends, buy Sleep Arrows. They are extremely powerful and effective. Very good for stopping the people who try to get away

- If you are a mage and are being charged at by a Ninja or Ninja-sub, REMEMBER TO USE G-MAGIC first.
    - 1 person CANNOT win 2 people. If you want to ensure a win over another person, gang up. Nothing can save you from mages and melees working together, not sprint, tonzura, 2H, anything.
    - If someone tries to run away use Stun, Sleep, or Bind.
    - Stick with your teammates. Going solo is suicide sometimes.
    - NIN sub is a good idea if you can for melees. Mages might want to do RDM for sub. RDM might want BLM sub for higher INT since all resistances are up. The only status' I saw really used are silence, gravity, and sleep. Rest are more or less unused.
    - Strider boots are wonderful to chase someone down.
    - Yes, you can run after someone and attack them at the same time. As long as you are in range, your character will attack.

The above information maybe inaccurate, it's a guide so don't flame me if it's incorrect.
    No Comment

Amen to a ballista guide in plain english.
    RageOfDark & Rinoa.Nu

Comment

I would like to add the following details of the match:

1. Minimum players of each team is 6, maximum is 36.
      2. If one team have outnumber another more than 6 players,
      the entry of that team will temporary closed until there are more entry to the smaller team.
      3. You can carry 10 Petras at a time, the Petras you carried is the score you'll get.
      4. You don't have to find Petra before trying to get Gate Breach status (kill someone),
      you'll lose /sprint command if you carry Petra(s).

Please correct me if I'm wrong... orz
      Pray! Siren... San d'Oria: R7 M7-1, Zilart: M4
      WAR20/MNK01/WHM26/BLM17/RDM10/THF61
      PLD03/DRK01/BST54/BRD08/RNG03
      SAM01/NIN31/DRG01/SMN01
      Level up:223 Times!w

Pass:Airship,Kazham, Gate crystal:All
      RSE:All, Thief's AF:All, BST's AF:1,2,Gloves,Body...
      Limit:1-4

Comment

What happened to all the ballista matches?
        Did they move them somewhere else for the higher cap?
        Rude, but not wrong. ;x
        Rank 10 Bastok, Rank 10 San d'Oria, Rank 10 Windurst
        'Rize of the Zilart' Missions: Completed
        'Chains of Promathia' Missions: Completed
        Treasures of Aht Urhgan Missions: #8
        Private First Class
        Purple: O | Brown: O | Black X ;-;
        Mee Deggi the Punisher: 1/1 (no help, no TH)
        "I Kill For Fun, Meng!!" - Tony

Comment

Thanks Yuna for the info. I got my license yesterday.

I hate the fact that SE makes us take airship 4 times (Jueno-Bastok-Jueno-Sands-Jueno-Wind-Jueno-Bastok-Jueno). I can't imagine doing this without Dezone.
          RDM 75, BLM 73, WHM 42, SMN 41, RNG 40, NIN 37, DRK 37, THF 25, WAR 20

Comment

And i hate the fact that you have to pay alot of gil for a evant you didn't have to do that with the easter egg hunt so why do you have to for the tunaments??
            7 RDM /1 WHM/ 1 BLM/1 BARD/1 SMN/1Dark Knight/1Dragoon/1WAR/1Thief/1MNK/1BST/1SAM/1NIN

"Life is fu\\ of joY we try to KEEP it dat way" Mithrapride

Currently not able to play FFXI cuz of the POL-ERROR-0010

Death is sweet so let me have you or do you not want to die my love?

Comment

It's fun chasing down a lonely mage with /sprint + flee. :O

Oh, and if you diaga, cast that on the mages. They won't be able to rest because of the decreasing HP.
              Name: Zedro
              Race: Elvaan/Male
              Job: PLD/WAR
              Level: 50/25
              Server: Ramuh
              Linkshell:BCNMAssassins, ShadowKnights, Revolution, DWT etc.

Status of import: Cancelled!!~
              Status of NA : Active

Comment

The Herald is there for the entire duration of the sign up and game time. I havn't seen the moogle serve any kind of purpose yet.

Comment

It says on the Mystery Tour site that you get a Ballista Earring when you talk to your country's NPC character for the 2nd time. I don't remember getting one. Can anyone clarify if it is true and what does this earring do? Thanks.
                  RDM 75, BLM 73, WHM 42, SMN 41, RNG 40, NIN 37, DRK 37, THF 25, WAR 20

Comment

Originally posted by Yheauh
                    And i hate the fact that you have to pay alot of gil for a evant you didn't have to do that with the easter egg hunt so why do you have to for the tunaments??
                    You had to pay gil for the Halloween event, unless people gave you free treats to trade to NPCs for fireworks and the event equipment...
                    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                    http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                    My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

The earring is a key item, it doesn't do much.

Comment

if sleep is your tactic, don't cast diaga
                        if sleep is their tactic, drink poison
                        multi-hit WS pwnz
                        mnk pwnz blink
                        can kill an individual's blink easily with 3 fast spells (poison, dia, poison, poof)
                        save astral flow for when the fags on the other team think it's funny to rape someone 12 on 1
                        DRK75 / THF37 / WAR37 / RDM60 / BLM31 / PLD11

ohnoez

Comment

Originally posted by UltimaWeapon
                          It's fun chasing down a lonely mage with /sprint + flee. :O

Oh, and if you diaga, cast that on the mages. They won't be able to rest because of the decreasing HP.
                          Not true, if you cast stoneskin on yourself you are able to rest with Dia on.
                          Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
                          Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

Originally posted by Rico

Not true, if you cast stoneskin on yourself you are able to rest with Dia on.
                            Also, if the mage is a WHM, or has WHM sub, you can cast Erase. (If the LV cap is high enough, and if you have it.)
                            "From the void all things are born.
                            To the void all things return."

-philosophy of the Walahra

Comment

I...Hate....Sleep...Arrows ;_;

Comment

Working...
                              X