Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! I'm a total noob!

Hello everyone!

FFXI is my first Online RPG! I love it! I'm totally addicted. Why does everyone worship World of War Craft when they could play FF online?

Anyway I'm writing because I'd like to meet some nice people to link shell with and to run around and kill stuff with. (In any other context that sentence would sound so wrong!)

I guess you could say I'm looking for some mentors and friends. I've searched in game for some - but I always get ignored

Also, could someone please inform me of the correct ettique for meeting people online. Can I just send them a message asking if they want to go on a quest? Or do I have to find people searching for parties? Whats best practice?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Re: Hello! I'm a total noob!

Hello and welcome to FFXIO! ^^

I'm glad you are enjoying your time in game. FFXI is a fun game but it is important to make friends too. It's always fun to have people to chat with and do things with. I guess the best way to make friends is to just be yourself and have fun. If you meet someone in game that you like, ask if you can add them to your Friends List. After you've met some people, talk to them about their linkshells (if they belong to one). If you are interested, ask them who the leader is and find out if you can join. Hopefully it will be a great ls and you'll make even more friends in it. Good luck to you and we hope you enjoy your time in FFXI and on the FFXIO forums!
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I'll try that. I guess I'm just nervous about rocking up to someone, asking them questions and then getting flamed for being such a noob. It has already happened once and it's kinda made me nervous about approaching other people. I guess I just caught that player on a bad day - or maybe they just got their arse kicked and lost massive XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrykitten View Post
        Why does everyone worship World of War Craft when they could play FF online?
        Wow has Traps.

Too bad you're on Unicorn, I'd bring you under my wing as I've done with many new players.

They all have scary dreams at night, but yeah.

My army of peons is still not complete... I need more raw materials! /concocts gooey stuff.

Welcome! XD
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

lols thanks. I'd make a great little groupie/minion.

I picked Unicorn because I liked Unicorns. There doesn't seem to be many people on it though, well at least not in San d'oria. Or maybe because I'm in the southern hemisphere I just miss out on the busy times. Sigh.

Comment

getting flamed for being such a noob.
            In my experience, this is not the norm. If I sit without /anon on RDM for any length of time, I get people asking me left and right for help with things, and while I'm not always willing to go solo an NM for someone while I'm LFP, I'll answer questions people might have. I've found that most people are pretty helpful if you have questions. Hell, I sometimes love Dunes/Qufim parties because the newbies will ask questions and I love to teach people. I had a WHM in Qufim the other day asking me question after question, and it made me feel good to be helpful, but it also reassured me that not everyone is a clueless nub.

You probably did catch someone on a bad day. When you start to get xp parties you'll meet more people. Chances are you will hit it off with at least one or two of them. When I did have a linkshell, I would invite people to it if I felt they'd fit in. Hell, one of my best friends in game was someone I met in a Dunes party, me leveling like my 8th job through the dunes and he was leveling his first. That LS has since broken, but we're still very good friends. He just recently got his first 75, which has been kinda cool to experience again.

Anyway I kinda went on a bit, but you'll meet new people when you get xp parties mostly, and doing missions. I wouldn't be afraid to ask people for help. Try to open with an auto-translated {Excuse me...}, I find that to be the most polite, though {Hello!} works nicely too. And have fun. ^_^
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Well, if the friendly people on the forum are anything to go by, I'm sure I'll meet lots of nice people in-game

It's funny that you mentioned the Dunes. I did attempt to run my character at level 5 over that way (just to have a look around). It's amazing how tough the creatures get out that way. I lasted like 2 seconds! I can't wait to get my giant chicken license and just run all around the place!

Comment

Haha, yeah, then once you get it all you'll care about is having an Airship pass. XD
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Lols... yeah...

Well I guess you have to crawl before you can walk. I was pretty stoked when I upgraded from my onion dagger to bronze dagger.

Comment

Hey hey. I am on Unicorn as well and have a few low level friends that I tend to help out every now and then along with a nice ls. Whats your status update b/c maybe I can help out?
                    Originally posted by Raydeus

Other than that the only thing I'd like to see is SE changing Homam so RDM can use it, but the chances of that happening are the same as those of me winning the Mog bonanza.

Comment

Hello everyone!

FFXI is my first Online RPG! I love it! I'm totally addicted. Why does everyone worship World of War Craft when they could play FF online?
                      This guy deserves a hug and some cookies "/p TGM <call14>" I just had to point this post out because 80% of the new people come to the site complaining about what's wrong with FFXI instead of why people on this site and people that play the game actually like it. So Welcome, both to FFXI and the forums.
                      {New Sig in the works}
                      -----------------------
                      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                      Originally posted by Solymir
                      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

The only downside to FFXI is that there is lack of a jump button which WoW and EQ have.

It is so bothersome when you have a character who can fall off a 3 story cliff but cant step over a 1 inch ledge! =/

Ark

Comment

Working...
                        X