New Player - seeking help PLEASE AAHHHHH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player - seeking help PLEASE AAHHHHH

I started a Mithra Red mage up on this server and i'm extremely stuck. i've played for a few hours and i just keep dieing and i don't understand where i'm meant to go where to get stuff etc etc.
    Any players who can give a new guy some lovin

My ingame name is 'Nekodika'

I really do want to play this game, but its just little things putting me off excluding not knowing what to do as well.

Please reply soon!
    Terry

Re: New Player - seeking help PLEASE AAHHHHH

What level are you?

And, if you keep dieing, go after weaker things. Ctrl + C or the "Check" button from the menu when you have a mob targeted. Decent Challenge or Even Match is good at lower levels (1-7 or so), and Easy Prey or Decent Challenge after that for as long as you solo.
    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
      What level are you?

And, if you keep dieing, go after weaker things. Ctrl + C or the "Check" button from the menu when you have a mob targeted. Decent Challenge or Even Match is good at lower levels (1-7 or so), and Easy Prey or Decent Challenge after that for as long as you solo.
      I'm level 6 nearly 7, is it best to wait till say level 10 to start doing quests and missions and such then?

Comment

Start by talking to one of these guys. Make sure you get Signet from one of the guards with two letters after their name (I.M., W.W., etc.), and always have it up. When you go outside to fight, check every monster before you even think about getting close to it. (Ctrl+C, Alt+C, /check <t>, or check from the menu you get when you click on it.) You might be able to kill an Even Match at this low a level, but it's not really worth it. Stick with Easy Prey or Decent Challenge. Cast Dia on them; Dia does a little bit of DoT, and also weakens their defense. Once you get to level 3, buy the Cure scroll (at the magic shop in town, not off the auction house) and use that when it makes sense to do so. Buy a sword as soon as you can. You will likely have to sell some things at the shops and/or on the auction house first. Again, check the weapon shop before the auction house. When you get down to about half your HP and/or out of MP, heal to full just to be safe (Ctrl+H, Alt+H, /heal, or whatever button on the controller is assigned to it).

It depends on the quest or mission. Here is a list of quests, and here is a list of missions. There are recommended levels on a lot of them, but for the most part, if it involves killing something or going to an area more than one zone away from your town, it might be a bit too much for you.

On one hand, it's never too early to start doing quests & missions if you can. On the other hand, there's no rush, either. Get Rank 2 when you can (i.e., do the first few missions), but for most people the focus is on just leveling (which includes farming/mining/fishing/whatever to make gil) to 18, then leveling again to 20, before really focusing on much else.
        Last edited by Ellipses; 12-24-2008, 03:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

This came in while I was typing my first reply.

It depends on the quest or mission. Here is a list of quests, and here is a list of missions. There are recommended levels on a lot of them, but for the most part, if it involves killing something or going to an area more than one zone away from your town, it might be a bit too much for you.

On one hand, it's never too early to start doing quests & missions if you can. On the other hand, there's no rush, either. Get Rank 2 when you can (i.e., do the first few missions), but for most people the focus is on just leveling (which includes farming/mining/fishing/whatever to make gil) to 18, then leveling again to 20, before really focusing on much else.[/quote]

I just reached level 9 nearly 10, i'm a lot more used to it now and i now know that "decent challenge" actually means stay the fuck away if you want to have a 50/50 chance of living.

Cheers for the advice :D

Comment

Originally posted by TezzaLarks View Post
            i now know that "decent challenge" actually means stay the fuck away if you want to have a 50/50 chance of living.
            At level 9, DC is more like "fight me for a somewhat decent challenge." In the fututre, as you learn more about the game, unlock your subjob, and increase your skills, at level 9, you'll be fighting even match and tough mobs without dying.

Advice: They recently hiked the amount of exp you acquire from EP, so fight those (a lot) if you've been having issues staying alive. stayin alive. ah ah ah ahh

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
            ------
            Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
            When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
              staying alive. stayin alive. ah ah ah ahh
              You just had to say that... Now I want to listen to the Bee Gees.
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

So you know, the basic designation of a mob as Easy Prey, Decent Challenge, etc. is based entirely on your level and the mob's level. It doesn't take anything else, like your gear, subjob, type of mob, etc. into account. A level 10 RDM with no subjob and the starting gear, and a level 10 RDM/WHM with all capped skills, fancy expensive gear in every slot and all capped skills both see a level 9 mob as Decent Challenge.
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
                  You just had to say that... Now I want to listen to the Bee Gees.
                  I think I still have that 8 track....
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Welcome to Fenrir. I'm glad to hear things are going a little better for you now. Hang in there, the early levels the first time around are some of the worst.
                    "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      you know, I've never even seen a goddamned 8-Track cassette in real life.

Comment

Trust me, you aren't missing anything. The god damn players ate the tape more than played it. LOL Then if you did get the tape dislodged successfully, it "warbled" because the tape was damaged. So there you were listening to your song....."Stayin Alive...Staying Alive....HA HA HA HA....Staaaoeiruoaugofgjsnosueirin Aliiiioieowrove!!!" ya....it wasn't pretty and it was even worse if you were in the middle of wooing someone with soft romantic music and the tape was damaged. LOL Here is my very first 8 track player:

Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

XD
                          "Never gonna give you up! Never gonafnuesifa leetet you down!"
                          23 whm, 15 blm, 9 war (I'll make a fancy shmancy sig later )

Comment

"Stayin Alive...Staying Alive....HA HA HA HA....Staaaoeiruoaugofgjsnosueirin Aliiiioieowrove!!!
                            It could only improve the 'music' of the BeeGee's.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I KNOW I still have that on Vinyl.

That Saturday Night Live soundtrack was the shiz back in the day
                              sigpic

(\ /)
                              ( . . )
                              C(")(")
                              ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Working...
                              X